Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Foxwell OBD scanner review

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2021, 11:28 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,160 Likes on 767 Posts

The coverage depends on the model, which is why I only recommended it for 2 Porsches - the 987 series and the 955/957 Cayenne series. Both of those have not only extensive reporting capabilities, they have extensive programming abilities. Other models - you best look on their website for the spreadsheet sort of page that lists what it can do on each model. The 987.2 - it's a steal for it's capabilities. On my 958 Cayenne - not so much, no programming, more limited diagnostics. Even at it's most limited model coverage, it appears about equal to the Durametric Enthusiast device, at a lower price without VIN# count limitations. I imagine the more extended coverage for other models will be enabled in future updates.. at least I hope for the 958 series.
Old 02-06-2021, 11:29 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by saabin
^ I should check this tomorrow.. I have a NT530 (or is it a 520?) and I KNOW I have read the overrevs in the "special functions" menu on my 997 turbo.
I SEEM to recall not finding it when hooked up to my 981 CS.

I will try to confirm tomorrow..
Sounds about right. There is a lot of sharing between the 997 and the 987.
Old 02-10-2021, 06:47 PM
sectachrome
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 102 Posts

Got an NT530 yesterday. Was able to pull a DME report as well as recode my new sport design wheel to make the horn work again. Nice to not have to go to a dealer for this type of stuff that anyone could do in 10 seconds if only they had the right tool.

Ive had some weird coding issues since getting PSE installed at the dealer. At first I noticed the doors would not lock and the gas cap would randomly stay locked. I brought it back and they fixed that. Ive since noticed that the cruise control activation light no longer displays on the dash even though its fully functional. I tried re enabling cruise on the Foxwell even though it said it was already on but haven't tested wether it changed anything yet.

As a side note, my DME report showed 0's across every range, that was kind of surprising.
View this post on Instagram
Old 02-11-2021, 01:31 PM
solo118
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been looking into the Foxwell NT530, however I wanted to purchase it to check codes on several cars that I am checking out before purchase.

I recall having this Foxwell Nt510 for my BMW (which I gave away when I sold the car) however it only let me link one car and it would not pull codes from any other car. Is this still the case with this model?

If yes- Would I be better off with something like Carly to pull codes? Or is there any other app that works with a WIFI bluetooth adapter to pull codes and reset oil meter etc.
Old 02-11-2021, 07:25 PM
tomekz
Racer

Received 312 Likes on 121 Posts

Wonder why it doesn't want to read the DME report on my 2014 cayman s...

Originally Posted by sectachrome
Got an NT530 yesterday. Was able to pull a DME report as well as recode my new sport design wheel to make the horn work again. Nice to not have to go to a dealer for this type of stuff that anyone could do in 10 seconds if only they had the right tool.

Ive had some weird coding issues since getting PSE installed at the dealer. At first I noticed the doors would not lock and the gas cap would randomly stay locked. I brought it back and they fixed that. Ive since noticed that the cruise control activation light no longer displays on the dash even though its fully functional. I tried re enabling cruise on the Foxwell even though it said it was already on but haven't tested wether it changed anything yet.

As a side note, my DME report showed 0's across every range, that was kind of surprising.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CLF5p80F..._web_copy_link
Old 02-11-2021, 07:43 PM
sectachrome
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by tomekz
Wonder why it doesn't want to read the DME report on my 2014 cayman s...
It doesn't seem like the more advanced functions are supported on the 981 for whatever reason.
Old 02-12-2021, 01:03 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by sectachrome
It doesn't seem like the more advanced functions are supported on the 981 for whatever reason.
I would imagine they haven't gotten to that yet. I would hope to expect it in a software update (where the lifetime software update - free - really is valuable.) The device can support up to 5 different manufacturers - you just buy and download the software. The software is around $50/60 per manufacturer. All in all - if you own a 987 this IS the tool to have. The cost is less than 1 visit to a dealer - can't beat that with a stick.
Old 02-20-2021, 04:51 PM
optimaxed
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
I would imagine they haven't gotten to that yet. I would hope to expect it in a software update (where the lifetime software update - free - really is valuable.) The device can support up to 5 different manufacturers - you just buy and download the software. The software is around $50/60 per manufacturer. All in all - if you own a 987 this IS the tool to have. The cost is less than 1 visit to a dealer - can't beat that with a stick.
Yes I recently bought this tool, and cleared some codes that arose from a flat battery - which I had to replace.

Also ran a DME scan was pleasantly surprised nothing in ranges 3-6 and had 9 ignitions in range 2, and around 800 in range 1
Old 02-21-2021, 09:18 AM
Diamond Dave
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

It sure gets crappy reviews on Amazon
Old 02-22-2021, 09:51 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,565 Likes on 971 Posts

Originally Posted by Diamond Dave
It sure gets crappy reviews on Amazon
You are correct with some equally bad reviews also on the internet. IIRC, many of those reviews center on updating software problems/issues and a complete lack of customer service and support unless you speak Mandarin. I have a Durametric Pro which is my "go to" device which does have excellent customer service. Those same reviews you cite made me very skeptical too, but I bought mine last Black Friday when it was $40 off and I was looking for all the Foxwell special functions the Durametric did not offer such as COV checks, battery registration, EPB function, ABS bleed, etc. After I received it, I was pleasantly surprised that it also had both a PDK calibration and PDK oil change function! See post #7 above. I have had no issues with mine with either updating software or use but admit I have not yet tested these special functions. But if even one of these special functions saves me a trip to the dealership and the cost of a PIWIS hook up, it has paid for itself. BTW - My Foxwell does NOT perform programming/coding but I did not need it for that as I have a Durametric Pro. Hope this helps. Best wishes.

Last edited by Fullyield; 02-22-2021 at 09:53 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Diamond Dave (02-22-2021)
Old 02-22-2021, 02:32 PM
deilenberger
Banned

I think the bad reviews on Amazon are at least partly caused by purchasing it via Amazon - which means you're purchasing it via a secondary vendor - not from Foxwell. There are complaints of what it won't do on a number of models, and while the complaints are correct, if the buyer had spent some time on the actual Foxwell US website, they'd see that Foxwell never claimed the tool would do what they expected it to do on the models they're using it with. It works fine and is very useful on my 987.2 (and I'd assume a 987.1), it's less useful on my Cayenne 958.1. It can do coding on the 987 models. That is shown on the spreadsheet of capabilities on the Foxwell website. It cannot do coding on the 958 series Cayenne - and it doesn't claim to on that same spreadsheet. If you look at the 955/957 series Cayenne - it can do extensive coding.

Is this information available via Amazon - I couldn't find it. It's available on the Foxwell website. https://www.foxwelltool.com/ - the capabilities spreadsheet is at: https://www.foxwelltool.com/ext/support-fun-list.html - pick Porsche, pick the NT530 tool and then view the spreadsheet (it shows all the Porsche models it covers in this mode) - to narrow it down to your specific model - select your model. So far the listings on the Porsche's I've tried it on have been accurate.

As far as value (I own all 3):

Durametric Enthusiast Model - around $300, limited to only Porsche, limited to 3 VIN#'s. No real programming capabilities except resetting service information, support is good, but no software update in years - so what'cha got is what you're going to have. Runs under Windows only, requires a PC. Has reporting capabilities IIRC (it's been a while since I've plugged it in..)

iCarScan Launch X431 - cost around $180-200 depending on the vendor. Support is poor, and it doesn't seem to register the owner correctly under Android-10. It works OK under earlier versions of Android. No updates recently. Not supported by the Google store - have to source code APK from elsewhere to install it on your phone. It is capable of doing more than just Porsche, and it comes with the ability to setup for 5 different manufacturer's. I suspect actual capabilities will vary by car model - it does for my Boxster vs Cayenne support. No VIN number limitations - can use with an unlimited number of vehicles. You can also purchase additional manufacturers (beyond the 5 included) for around $50 each. Offers reporting that creates PDF files that can be emailed. There is a newer version of the EzDiag software out somewhere, I haven't tried installing it on my Android-10 phone to see if that solves the registration problem. Meanwhile it continues to work on an old phone I kept around running Android 7. There is also EzDiag software available for the iPhone OS. Shipped from China, but delivery was amazingly fast for me - about 2 days. Can't promise that's still the case. Software updates are available - free for the 1st year, then at some cost per year.

Foxwell NT530 - Cost with 1 free manufacturer (I picked Porsche) around $155 delivered, purchased direct from the US Foxwell importer after emailing sales and asking for a price. Shipped from the US, so delivery was quite fast (2 days). You can purchase additional manufacturers for around $50/60 each. I believe there is a limit on the number it will support - but it was higher than I'd ever need so I didn't pay much attention to that. Software download/update was fairly simple, requires a PC, but once done the unit is a standalone, powered by the OBD-II connector (no additional cords needed or power sources.) Capabilities differ by Manufacturer/Model - DO check the link I provided above and avoid disappointment. On my Cayenne - programming isn't available - but it isn't available with Durametric Enthusiast or iCarScan. Diagnostics and activations (making systems do things) appear equal to the other tools. Can do oil/service resets. It can save data, but I haven't found a reporting ability yet, but I also haven't really looked. I suspect if it exists that might require hooking it up to a computer or taking the memory card in it (user installed) to a computer. Software updating is done via a USB computer connection. It appeared that software updates are fairly frequent - and are free to the user forever.

The best value to ME is the Foxwell. YMMV. That's because it does programming on my Boxster 987 - and one programming incident saved me the cost of purchase meaning it's basically cost me nothing, and there is more programming on it to explore. It also is the only tool that actually knows what a PDK is, and offers the "Fill" mode which means avoiding expensive dealer fluid changes. Your value may vary - but I actually rather doubt if a monetary case could be made for either of the other 2 tools even for the 981 series, since neither of them will actually do programming either.

I'll repeat - DO view the capabilities chart at https://www.foxwelltool.com/ext/support-fun-list.html BEFORE purchasing so you aren't disappointed.

Last edited by deilenberger; 02-26-2021 at 01:02 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by deilenberger:
Fullyield (02-22-2021), pigfoot (09-19-2023), Schwinn (02-22-2021), sectachrome (02-22-2021)
Old 02-24-2021, 03:33 AM
boxsterisgood
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kuro Neko
Buried in the Foxwell site is an .xls with a menu overview, and you should be able to see / download it from here.
Note too of course, it includes all applicable Porsche models, and you will need to filter on 987.
Ping me here if we would like the details loaded...

Sample:
Thank you so much for the information. I bought a NT503 and managed to reprogram my new battery!!! I know the name is Gateway information from your link of excel file and then I managed to find the batter change option from the Foxwell menu. I upadted the battery information and checked the reading. The battery 80% charged. I the drove it in highway for one hour and rechecked, it turns out to be 99% charged, which means the battery is correctly charged and it must be integrated well. It is a porsche battery and my seat memories are good as well. The only thing I need to change is time and some default multifunction-scope settings.
Old 02-25-2021, 05:15 PM
brewerbry
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 73 Posts

I can confirm the Foxwell NT530 can clear airbag lights - I installed a race seat for track duty and triggered the airbag light. The NT530 completely cleared it.

What it CANNOT do is program the thorax airbag monitor to "off" or to not look for the airbag. I think the only programmer that can do this is the PIWIS Porsche programmer.

All in all, a good tool for the price.
Old 02-25-2021, 05:29 PM
HalV
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by brewerbry
I can confirm the Foxwell NT530 can clear airbag lights - I installed a race seat for track duty and triggered the airbag light. The NT530 completely cleared it.

What it CANNOT do is program the thorax airbag monitor to "off" or to not look for the airbag. I think the only programmer that can do this is the PIWIS Porsche programmer.

All in all, a good tool for the price.
I does do this on the 987.2. I turn my driver side Thorax airbag "monitor" to off all the time before I go to the track.
Old 02-25-2021, 06:22 PM
brewerbry
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 73 Posts

I neglected to specify that my comments applied to my 981! I would love to hear the menu sequence you follow to turn the monitor off of your 987.2 and maybe I am missing something for the 981 and it actually can do it! Thanks for the details ahead of time HalV.

Quick Reply: Foxwell OBD scanner review