Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do with your 981 today?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2024, 08:29 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,090 Likes on 1,255 Posts

Originally Posted by AdamIsAdam
HP fuel pump? WTF? Is the HP for High Pressure? How many miles do you have? I did not know that was a failure point. I'm about to take the car on a 2k mile road trip to Tail of the Dragon and hoping NOT to break down in the mountains (que banjo music)
So our HPFP went at 20k miles on our 14 cayman I have seen several fail and we believe it comes from running the tank down too low on twisty roads. It appears to be a fairly common problem and spreads out over the entire Porsche sports car line. Each person I spoke with did admit the tank was below 1/4 when pushing the car hard prior to failure. Usually track driving. I am not sure if they designed it this way on purpose or if it was just being cheap but the seal is just pressed in without a circlip so it will easily pop out if scavenging and exceeds pressure is my best guess.

You can see the seal lifted on the pump on the left while still pressed in place on the new one on the right. I don't know if it possible to repair the seal but wasn't worth chancing it would pop out again. A circlip around the seal would prevent that but it might be done intentionally.

Failed seal in red. New seal in Blue
The following users liked this post:
Larson E. Rapp (Yesterday)
Old 07-25-2024, 12:58 PM
t-design
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 276 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
it comes from running the tank down too low on twisty roads. It appears to be a fairly common problem and spreads out over the entire Porsche sports car line. Each person I spoke with did admit the tank was below 1/4 when pushing the car hard prior to failure.
I don't know if that counts for statistics... To conclude that it is the cause we'd need another group of people who always drive with full tank on a straight roads and pump never fails. But. Most Porsche owners like curvy roads and fast driving.
Cupdholders, Sunglass Holsters and more at T-Design9.com

Last edited by t-design; 07-25-2024 at 03:34 PM.
Mike981S (07-25-2024)
Old Yesterday, 12:24 PM
sampietv
AutoX

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Headliner Replace

Finally completed exchange of drooping headliner with new headliner from Porsche dealer at a cost of $1100. Previously trade to match agate grey material headliner material with no success. Biggest part of job is removing rear glass and reinstalling plastic panels to fit correctly. The match from Porsche was perfect.

Perfect match

Last edited by sampietv; Yesterday at 12:32 PM. Reason: Not completed
Randy_B (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 04:17 PM
Kshaw
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I installed the SmartTop on Wednesday which lets you raise and lower the top with the key fob. Nice addition.
anderson930 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 04:28 PM
crozby
8th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

How long did the installation take you? How difficult/easy was it?
Old Yesterday, 05:42 PM
Kshaw
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by crozby
How long did the installation take you? How difficult/easy was it?
It takes a couple of hours. You have to update firmware and set parameters on how you want the key fob to work and then do wiring. There are two crimps to connect to power and then you have to reconfigure some pins. It is not difficult to do but requires working in a confined space underneath drivers seat. Mine already had the latest firmware installed and already set for the default settings..
Old Yesterday, 08:54 PM
anderson930
Intermediate

Received 60 Likes on 13 Posts

Swapped out custom fuch-ish wheels for CS wheels with red stripe fro Suncoast. Very happy with the result

The following 6 users liked this post by anderson930:
FINZ (Today), Greg981 (Today), MovingChicane (Yesterday), NineATE1guy (Today), Randy_B (Yesterday), SumDude (Today) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Quick Reply: What did you do with your 981 today?