Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Craigslist, Ebay and other online Porsche 968 finds....

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2022, 01:46 AM
Eyeman
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

968 cabriolets did sticker for that much more than coupes (vs Caymans and Boxters which are the reverse). But the used coupe selling for more than cabs is not a recent issue, that happened further back than I can recall (10+ years ago). I'm sure it relates to the extra maintenance required with cabs. I own both, and I do agree, the cab is very cool looking, whereas the coupe is just a dorkier looking 944.
The following 2 users liked this post by Eyeman:
dlearl476 (10-28-2022), royalschwarz (10-30-2022)
Old 10-28-2022, 01:56 AM
dlearl476
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Eyeman
968 cabriolets did sticker for that much more than coupes (vs Caymans and Boxters which are the reverse). But the used coupe selling for more than cabs is not a recent issue, that happened further back than I can recall (10+ years ago). I'm sure it relates to the extra maintenance required with cabs. I own both, and I do agree, the cab is very cool looking, whereas the coupe is just a dorkier looking 944.
It was a double whammy for the cabs. The 968, at least the early ones, were products of the luxury tax and the additional $6K MSRP put them over that threshold so original buyers got nicked for that as well.
Old 10-28-2022, 09:17 AM
jsheiry
Rennlist Member

Received 209 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Yogii
For what it is worth, PCA Market Place has TWO 968 listed!
https://mart.pca.org/news/1992-porsc...a-s-mart-fresh

two, can you imagine?

-Yogii
AKA 968 Novice
The Guards Red with body color matched Cup 1 wheels is eye popping. Sort of sad that it has neither M030 OR 220 as its options and no hard back or soft back sport seats. Its rear seat delete piece also seems MIA ? Price seems steep for 138K kilometers or 86K miles without some of the best options. The mad rush to import club sports has caught people unaware that M030 and 220 is not standard feature on a CS as much as one might assume.
Old 10-28-2022, 11:21 AM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Received 207 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Eyeman
I'm sure it relates to the extra maintenance required with cabs.
That's like saying people want LSD and ABS to even up tire wear.
I've been avoiding cabs for 25 years and I never thought of that as a possible reason.
In my track friendly group of Pcar guys we look at cabs as compromised, they are no longer 100% performance oriented and thus delegated to "pleasure drives" often by ladies and older gentlemen.
I'll be turning 60 in a while and I think I might be ready for one then.
The 968 is a sports car known for it's performance (and beauty). If you take away the performance aspect AND the beauty (in this eye of the beholder) the resale value is going to do just what the 968 cab value has done.....
No offense to cab folks intended.
The following users liked this post:
ForceReconTrojan (11-07-2022)
Old 10-28-2022, 11:51 AM
JimmyB
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by jsheiry
The Guards Red with body color matched Cup 1 wheels is eye popping. Sort of sad that it has neither M030 OR 220 as its options and no hard back or soft back sport seats. Its rear seat delete piece also seems MIA ? Price seems steep for 138K kilometers or 86K miles without some of the best options. The mad rush to import club sports has caught people unaware that M030 and 220 is not standard feature on a CS as much as one might assume.
Yup - at least my fake CS project has 220 and a bunch of M030 bits

Given the 'comfort seats' in this one it might have had factory rear seats, rather than the delete piece? I have a pair of CS seat backs in the basement, but I need the bases and the carpet to make it all work.
Old 10-28-2022, 12:38 PM
regajohn
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by 944Fest (aka Dan P)
That's like saying people want LSD and ABS to even up tire wear.
I've been avoiding cabs for 25 years and I never thought of that as a possible reason.
In my track friendly group of Pcar guys we look at cabs as compromised, they are no longer 100% performance oriented and thus delegated to "pleasure drives" often by ladies and older gentlemen.
I'll be turning 60 in a while and I think I might be ready for one then.
The 968 is a sports car known for it's performance (and beauty). If you take away the performance aspect AND the beauty (in this eye of the beholder) the resale value is going to do just what the 968 cab value has done.....
No offense to cab folks intended.
I do agree with those that say the cab is actually better looking, a bit of a speedster look since it does have a choppec windshield.
Coupes in certain colors can be marvelous looking (IMO white 968s look bloated)
Cabs are always cheaper in the resale market except for speedsters and some targas . Track addicts don't even want sunroofs because of the stiffness issues (perceived or actual)

With regards to performance, sure a modern Porsche or track prepared Porsche will whip a stock 968 cab or coupe on the track ... Have you watch the video of a Macan turbo destroying a 944 turbo S on the track? Horsepower and control nannies have totally changed the game.

That being said, I do agree with the folks who proclaim driving a slow car fast is much more fun and requires a lot more skill, than driving a fast car fast. On the curvy roads I have no issues keeping up with the dudes driving 993 turbos 996 turbos 991 turbos 992 turbos and, when he dares bring it out, the dude with the Carrera GT. One just has to keep the RPMs up and drive on roads that don't have long straightaways.
At at palooza in 10 days I'll be driving the 968 cab and the girlfriend will be driving the 991 S, because much less talent is required to keep up if you're driving a modern car at 7-8 tenths on public roads ... Driving the old car is more fun also.
oneof5 (12-12-2022)
Old 10-28-2022, 12:53 PM
DrewM
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

It is funny in a way, as it's very Porsche specific, for almost any other marque, the drop-top demands more money. But any drop top Porsche will get less money than the hard top version, from 911's to Boxster/Cayman to the classic cars...except for the uber special editions (a 944 Turbo convertible will get big bucks I'm sure, speedster 911's get big money, etc).

People always talk about the performance differences, but the reality is that very few people can really push the car to a level that they could tell the difference, even more so on the street where most of us are driving these cars.
dlearl476 (10-28-2022)
Old 10-28-2022, 01:26 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by DrewM
It is funny in a way, as it's very Porsche specific, for almost any other marque, the drop-top demands more money. But any drop top Porsche will get less money than the hard top version, from 911's to Boxster/Cayman to the classic cars...except for the uber special editions (a 944 Turbo convertible will get big bucks I'm sure, speedster 911's get big money, etc).

People always talk about the performance differences, but the reality is that very few people can really push the car to a level that they could tell the difference, even more so on the street where most of us are driving these cars.
I have both and for me personally, I prefer the driving experience with the cab. The coupe has better lines but not by much. IMHO.
Old 10-28-2022, 01:26 PM
jsheiry
Rennlist Member

Received 209 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by JimmyB
Yup - at least my fake CS project has 220 and a bunch of M030 bits

Given the 'comfort seats' in this one it might have had factory rear seats, rather than the delete piece? I have a pair of CS seat backs in the basement, but I need the bases and the carpet to make it all work.
Given those metal tabs popping out of the carpet...I suspect thats how the rear seat delete piece mounts into the car. Those tabs are the exact looking tabs that are in N American Cabs where the cab rear seat delete box mounts.
JimmyB (10-28-2022)
Old 10-28-2022, 05:18 PM
Yogii
Rennlist Member

Received 184 Likes on 150 Posts

The reason Porsche cabriolets are less expensive is because you need to install a rollbar for DE or track events.
Coupes do not need this!

-Yogii
AKA 968 Novice
PS As we all know P-car drivers pretend that they are Mario Andretti or Lou Hamilton.
Old 10-28-2022, 05:23 PM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

I wasn't making reference to performance losses of a cab in rigidity etc as much as what Yogi said...the fact they are not allowed on track unless you put a roll bar in it, and that destroys your cool roadster look.
I'm not sure I've ever seen a roll bar in a cab that would both pass the broomstick test and allow top actuation.
There are often cabs out on track during the lunch break when they do the parade laps.... along with the minivans..
Old 10-28-2022, 06:35 PM
regajohn
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 66 Posts

When I took my 968 cab on the track (one time) a rollbar wasn’t required. Had to have proof of brake fluid change within the last six months and go through a brief inspection, plus floor mats and anything else loose in the car had to be removed … and side windows had to be down. It was private rental / track day so I guess that was the reason that a roll cage/roll bar was not required.

That being said, most rolled over 968s I’ve seen smushed pretty much to the top of the doors, the reinforced windshield frame totally collapsed :-O
Old 10-28-2022, 08:16 PM
dlearl476
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by DrewM

I don’t know, maybe it’s selective memory, or BaT bias, but I’ve owned my Cab since 2007 and I’ve been watching prices on and off for most of that time. In my memory, Cabs have been going for more money than coupes until 4-5 years ago. 10 years ago, a <$15K cab seemed rare, and <$10K coupes were a dime a dozen.

Originally Posted by regajohn
I do agree with those that say the cab is actually better looking, a bit of a speedster look since it does have a choppec windshield.
Coupes in certain colors can be marvelous looking (IMO white 968s look bloated)
That’s funny John, white is one of my favorite colors for both S2s and 968. Especially with blue interior. (Red, too. But I don’t really love Porsche’s “red” interior since the SC.

Originally Posted by regajohn
That being said, most rolled over 968s I’ve seen smushed pretty much to the top of the doors, the reinforced windshield frame totally collapsed :-O
If I rolled my 968 I don’t know if I’d want to go on living.

Last edited by dlearl476; 10-28-2022 at 08:24 PM.
regajohn (10-28-2022)
Old 10-29-2022, 01:15 AM
Yogii
Rennlist Member

Received 184 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by dlearl476
I don’t know, maybe it’s selective memory, or BaT bias, but I’ve owned my Cab since 2007 and I’ve been watching prices on and off for most of that time. In my memory, Cabs have been going for more money than coupes until 4-5 years ago. 10 years ago, a <$15K cab seemed rare, and <$10K coupes were a dime a dozen.

That’s funny John, white is one of my favorite colors for both S2s and 968. Especially with blue interior. (Red, too. But I don’t really love Porsche’s “red” interior since the SC.

If I rolled my 968 I don’t know if I’d want to go on living.
Last track day at Leguna Seca, I when off the track backwards. I saw the wall getting bigger and bigger in my rear mirror.
I know how you feel!

-Yogii
AKA 968 Novice
dlearl476 (10-29-2022)
Old 11-07-2022, 08:13 PM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

https://bend.craigslist.org/cto/d/be...554196983.html

Porsche 968 6-Speed ***REDUCED*** - $18,995 (Bend)

***REDUCED***
This is a really nice 968. Extensive service history.
Genuine 70k miles!
Runs beautifully, everything works as it should.
Brand new clutch, all belts and pulleys have been changed.
Starts instantly every time, AC and automatic climate control works.
Paint looks great for the age, couple of spots that could be better.
No smells inside, all power seats, central locking etc works.
Let me know if you have any questions.
Jools

Quick Reply: Craigslist, Ebay and other online Porsche 968 finds....