968 Forum 1992-1995

Off topic post on Porsche prices below MSRP

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 02:57 PM
touareg
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Off topic post on Porsche prices below MSRP

So I asked this over on the Cayman board, but I like you guys, so thought I would ask here too. Not a 968 question, but big brother related.

I have a bead on a new 2015 Cayman GTS I test drove the other day, love the car, built earlier this year. Only has Navigation and park assist for options.

Sticker is about 85k, which is what they are asking.

Seeing that we are going into 2016, is there much negotiating power on this?

Thoughts on anyone purchasing a similar car with similar time kinda thing, i.e. a new 2014 bought in December 2014?

This is an independent Porsche dealer, if that matters.

Thanks!

Last edited by touareg; 12-01-2015 at 09:46 PM.
Old 12-01-2015, 04:12 PM
PorscheG96
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My feeling is that any amount you'd negotiate off the purchase price is miniscule compared with fees + taxes and depreciation. In other words, it wouldn't worry me very much...so take whatever you can get obviously.
Old 12-01-2015, 04:14 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 128 Posts

My buddy got 4% off on his new Boxster. He found some dealers that would do 6% but he ordered his. You would think you could do better on a car on the lot because someone is paying while it sits. But one thing to consider, they are great cars but unlike our fully depreciated used 968s, the new ones depreciate like crazy!
Old 12-01-2015, 07:20 PM
TheBlau
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff968
But one thing to consider, they are great cars but unlike our fully depreciated used 968s, the new ones depreciate like crazy!
*unless it has R/RS/GT4 after the model designation
Old 12-01-2015, 09:28 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Helped my sister pick a carrera off the dealer lot for 15% off. If it's sitting, it's possible to negotiate hard. Given it was a convertible and early December, put the ball in our court.
Old 12-01-2015, 09:43 PM
touareg
Drifting

Thanks Guys, I had been toying with an idea of a Cayman for a few years, even before I got my 2nd 968. The regular ones did not do it for me. The GTS is not the same as the older drive by wire, springs, etc, and does have a few more do-dads, plan to keep the 968 still!

But I do usually buy a few years old to skip the early depreciation, but wondering how much of a deal I could get on a model 2015 car that is officially a year old, even if new in less that 30 days.

Last few cars I bought new were regular VWs.
Old 12-01-2015, 09:44 PM
touareg
Drifting

Originally Posted by TheBlau
*unless it has R/RS/GT4 after the model designation
Yes, as much as I love the GT4, paying 30 or 40 over list is a principle thing I won't do
Old 12-02-2015, 01:05 AM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I would think that there should be something like a 10% discount off of sticker on a leftover convertible this time of year, even if it is a GTS (nice car). If it were not a GTS, I think the dealer would be foolish not to offer a 15%+ discount.
Perhaps waiting until the new model years officially come out will help the dealer see that a discount is needed.

I believe a lot depends upon whether (and when) the dealer has new inventory coming in.

Although it is not quite the same scenario, I was able to save 20% on a used '09 Boxster this past spring by waiting through the winter and making an offer when the dealer had a whole bunch of new cars showing up. The dealer even sweetened the deal by putting on new Michelin Pilot Sports and a Porsche Moll battery.

Another thing that I believe in is asking for a specific discount, or stating a specific price that you are willing to pay for a vehicle you are interested in. The most they can say is "no", or give a counteroffer back to you, but the upside is the possibility of saving thousands.
I am never embarrassed to do this because I approach it with tact and a smile on my face, making sure they know that I will follow through with what I offer and that I'm not just kicking tires.
Old 12-02-2015, 02:15 AM
fejjj
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

Money always speaks the loudest especially this time of year in the Northeast. The dealers do not want to carry inventory on their floor plan until April when the market wakes up again.

I purchased a Brand new 89 951 in the fall of 1990 for 31.5k. The sticker was just below 50K. Porsche had 8 of these cars sitting at the Port in Charleston, SC and they wanted them out of the system so they had an 8.5k rebate offer. They also had extra incentives to the dealers to move these so I got a smoking deal!

I had to pay $500 to have it shipped to NY but so what.

I would shop the entire Northern part of the country and see what you can come up with.

Quick Reply: Off topic post on Porsche prices below MSRP