Lookie loo, AKA 'serious buyer' today

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 10:06 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Lookie loo, AKA 'serious buyer' today

So, I've got the car on CL for $9900, and I get an email from a "Serious buyer" who wants to come and see. I get him info, and he comes out. He asks if I'm going to trade, I say no just for sale. He tells me it's priced in the middle of the pack, which I figured out. Then I find out he needs to sell his tatty BMW before he can afford the Porsche.

If that's a "serious buyer" I hate to see what a tire kicker is like.

Old 06-06-2014, 10:14 PM
User 040621
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 49 Posts

Buyers are liars....even self proclaimed serious ones!
Old 06-07-2014, 02:07 PM
biosurfer1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have found if a buyer proclaims he is serious in his email, he's (or she) is probably not. The only thing I care about in a buyer is do they have the funds to buy...anything else is BS noise.
Old 06-10-2014, 11:17 AM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Still haven't heard back from mr 'serious buyer'. He said he would be in touch....
Old 06-10-2014, 11:56 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Atleast better than what I went thru. This guy had me wasting almost 2 months, custom configuring the cab, so he could afford it and then backing out. Lesson learnt for next time.
Old 06-10-2014, 12:02 PM
PasPar2
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

had a guy bring his cousin "the mechanic" to look at a car... he was a "mechanic" same like I am a ballerina. Then asked me to "layaway" the car for him @ like $50 a week... he did have the biggest Jesus on the cross pendant I have ever seen (chest to belly button)... tried to trade it for the "downpayment" on the car. fyi it was a $5k infiniti beater...
Old 06-10-2014, 03:17 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by PasPar2
had a guy bring his cousin "the mechanic" to look at a car... he was a "mechanic" same like I am a ballerina. Then asked me to "layaway" the car for him @ like $50 a week... he did have the biggest Jesus on the cross pendant I have ever seen (chest to belly button)... tried to trade it for the "downpayment" on the car. fyi it was a $5k infiniti beater...
I think you get the win
Old 06-10-2014, 04:21 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

On the other end of the spectrum, I had a Lambo Espada advertised about 3 years ago. Guy called, said he's flying in from MT, and could I pick up at the local muni airport. Sure, no prob, uh-huh. He calls me a few hours later from said airport. I pick him up in the Espada and I drive around for maybe 15 minutes. He looks at the body, and engine bay and grabs a wad of cash from the satchel in his plane. I sign and hand him the title.

Next day a drive-on car carrier shows up, and we load and secure. Buh bye. Now THAT is how to do car business.
Old 06-10-2014, 04:37 PM
sanyata
Rennlist Member

Received 476 Likes on 257 Posts

Had a '01 Dodge Turbo Diesel truck for sale once quite awhile ago. A guy called me and asked a few questions and then said to meet him at a bank in San Francisco a couple of days later. Drove to SF and parked the truck about three blocks away from the bank. I met him and his wife to process the paperwork with the loan officer. When the banker was finished with my part of the deal and I had a check in hand he told me I could go.......... I asked them all if they even wanted to look over the truck or know where I parked it? WTF? Not one of them ever saw the truck nor did they care to look at it. I scribbled a map out for where it was parked and went on my merry way. They probably over paid $2k for the truck! Weirdest selling experience ever!
Old 06-10-2014, 11:32 PM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Last July, I advertised my low mile 944S2 cab for sale. A buyer from about 300 miles away called and grilled me with questions. I answered the questions and sent him my maintenance log.
He seemed to be in a hurry to buy the car, but could only fly over on a certain day. It sounded like he had to be home with it before his wife got home or something to that effect...
So he flies in at 9:30 in the evening, we go to the airport parking lot, and he walks around the car once, sits in it, and hands me an envelope. I gave the envelope to my wife to count (some $50s, mostly $20s) while I feverishly try to tell him everything else I know about the car. He did not even start the engine, much less drive the car.
The money was there, I signed the title, and off he went.
Now a year later, the car is up for sale again.
Old 06-11-2014, 01:26 AM
biosurfer1
Racer

That would worry me. I know the law is once the title is signed, it's "as-is, where is" but for a couple days after I sell a car, I'm always nervous when my phone rings.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:16 AM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 144 Posts

I sold my wife's ML350 to a guy who called on the phone based on my ebay ad which was very detailed. He said he has a friend who is a "Priest" who would come pick it up that lives in Chicago, he lived in Dallas.

I asked how he would pay, he said by wire transfer, we negotiated a price in 5 minutes, and I gave him my bank information. 15 minutes later he called back and I had the $15.7K in my Chase account, had the title and the car still. I asked what nationality he was, as I couldn't place it, he was NIGERIAN!!!

His friend came by a few days later, and he was a catholic priest from the South side of Chicago, and he was also Nigerian. Drove it away. That was Friday afternoon, the gentlemen who bought the car had it in Dallas on Tuesday morning via transport and called to ask how to set up the Bluetooth. The car was a surprise for his wife. Great transaction, great guy, a little scary at first!
Old 06-11-2014, 09:54 AM
blue44
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by docmirror
On the other end of the spectrum, I had a Lambo Espada advertised about 3 years ago. Guy called, said he's flying in from MT, and could I pick up at the local muni airport. Sure, no prob, uh-huh. He calls me a few hours later from said airport. I pick him up in the Espada and I drive around for maybe 15 minutes. He looks at the body, and engine bay and grabs a wad of cash from the satchel in his plane. I sign and hand him the title.

Next day a drive-on car carrier shows up, and we load and secure. Buh bye. Now THAT is how to do car business.
Espada, wow that's different, a Panamera from long ago...

Donn
Old 06-12-2014, 08:39 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Got a call back! I guess my first impression was a bit inaccurate.

surprised me. He's going to get some info on another one for sale, and get back to me next week. No money, but seems more interested than the first visit.

Quick Reply: Lookie loo, AKA 'serious buyer' today