968 Forum 1992-1995

OEM Splitter

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 05:17 PM
rol607
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts
Default OEM Splitter

Just received a new OEM splitter from Gert @ Carnewal and there are no mounting instructions at all. Nor did Gert have any when I emailed after receiving.

Has anyone mounted one and could you provide me with details for the drilling of holes etc? Would be much appreciated.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:58 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey rol607. I just had my car freshly resprayed and I also had an OEM splitter from Gert with no instructions.

Your bodyshop should know what to do! There should already be holes from the original splitter - or in my case - broken holes (hence the splitter missing when I bought the car). I had to get my holes re-plastic welded and then it looks like they used oversize washers and screws.

The washers and screws were purchased from my local Porsche dealer so I think if you start there and ask for all of the mounting bolts you should be fine.

PS do you know if these parts are definitely NLA? How come Gert has them? I am half tempted to buy another one just to keep in storage.

Best of luck

Nick
Old 01-09-2014, 08:41 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Many yrs back, Porsche used to sell these predrilled, probably 10+yrs back.

Since then, they no longer sell them predrilled. You will have to drill the holes.

Always easier when you have a spare to use as a template.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:55 AM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 144 Posts

Is the "splitter" the same thing as the batwing?
Old 01-09-2014, 01:24 PM
EEZATOY
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Splitter sandwiches between thw batwing and the bumper - held by the batwing screws. Its been a few years since I installed mine but I had to drill holes for the screws using the batwing and the bumper for the template. The batwing also has tabs that fit into slots in the bumper - I cut holes for the tabs in my splitter along with the screw holes so that the batwing sits flush - some people opt not to cut the slots and have had no problems...should make more sense when you take the batwing off....
Old 02-11-2014, 06:25 PM
ab54666
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have one and having just taken it off to respray i'd say the easiest way is to take off the batwing under tray and mark up the wholes from there.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:24 PM
rol607
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by ab54666
I have one and having just taken it off to respray i'd say the easiest way is to take off the batwing under tray and mark up the wholes from there.

Thanks, at shop now getting painted and then installed.
Old 02-13-2014, 06:07 PM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I just drilled mine this past weekend. I mounted the splitter to the bumper using masking tape to hold it in place. I then marked the holes on each end of the bumper closest to the wheels where the belly pan studs come through, took the splitter off and drilled only those 2 holes. I reattached the splitter with tape to make sure the 2 freshly drilled holes lined up properly, then I removed the splitter and mounted it to the belly pan (aka batwing) on those 2 studs with the factory nuts holding it in place. Using a pencil I marked the remaining holes using the belly pan as my template. Finally I unmounted the splitter and drilled my marks with a pilot hole and slowly progressing up in bit sizes. Now it's ready for paint.

I'm still debating if I should make the slots for the tabs across the front edge of the belly pan or just cut those off.

Quick Reply: OEM Splitter