968 Forum 1992-1995

968 Coupe Antenna Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 09:49 AM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 216 Likes on 139 Posts
Default 968 Coupe Antenna Replacement

If you have little to no FM reception (and I believe the same goes for AM), then there is a good chance your OEM roof antenna has a bad amplifier in it and needs to be replaced. The amplifier is built into the antenna, thus the reason to replace the whole thing. There are many reports of this being the issue, and I am one to add to the list.

The cab came with an antenna in the windshield and a separate amplifier that sits somewhere between the radio and the front windshield, it seems to last longer. The coupe antenna amplifier is built into the antenna which gets beat with heat from the sun, is at the hottest part of the interior when sitting in the sun, and also gets exposed to cold temperatures in the winter. The poor thing just can't get a break, so it gives up sooner or later.

To replace it, it's very simple.

Start by taking out the screws that hold the hard panel in place just behind the sunroof. There are 5 screws on the aft part/bottom of the panel, and two on the front edge, you need to crack the sunroof open to get to these. They are all just Phillips head screws. The panel drops off and then you can move the headliner out of the way where the antenna is (mine wasn't attached under the panel, just at the back edge).

You'll see this (looking from the driver's seat back):

There is the antenna coaxial connection and the +12VDC to power the amplifier. Cut the tie wrap and disconnect the two connections. I then used a voltmeter to ensure I had switched +12VDC at the electrical connector with the radio on and that it turned off with the radio off. Yep, I had that, so it just confirmed my suspicion that the antenna amplifier was bad.

Here is the new antenna. I purchased it from Sunset Porsche in November 2013 for $124.22, and paid an additional $20 to have it expedited from Germany, it arrived in the states in about 4 days.

Part Number 928-645-201-00

Mine didn't come with a new plastic gasket/base, but after contacting Sunset, it was supposed to have one in it, I just cleaned up my old one. I will blame Porsche if I don't win the Concourse!

To remove it, I used a large pair of needle nose pliers, that was easy enough. Once you have the old one out, install the new one, and then I taped it to the roof with some blue painter's tape (so it would temporarily stay in place) so I could get the new nut started with the same pliers. The other alternative you can do is to buy a plumbers wrench set at Home Depot....when I went there and saw it was $20, I decided against it and could get it with the pliers. It is reported that it is 21/32" (the nut is 17mm), you need this kind of wrench because the wires need to fit into it, kinda like an O2 sensor wrench.

The other wrench you could use is the 17mm in your 968 tool kit for the wheel bolts, it is hollow....

Once you have everything connected, turn on the radio and ensure you have good reception, then replace the tie wrap with a new one (or glue the old one if you can) and put the headliner panel back in while you consider re-covering all headliner pieces with Alcantara to match your steering wheel that you retrofitted.

Enjoy radio stations once again!!!!
Old 11-26-2013, 09:51 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks for sharing.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:51 AM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 118 Posts

Another great write-up.
Thanks
Old 11-26-2013, 10:57 AM
aj986s
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

FWIW, I modded my '89 944S2 with one of these antennas, when the connection corroded/broke to my OEM windshield antenna. It was a minor challenge cutting the roof hole to mount the antenna, but the installation was otherwise plug&play, as described above.
Old 07-13-2014, 09:20 PM
phil0618
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

If all you need is a replacement of the antenna mast I just ordered this from ECS Tuning and it fit perfectly.

1J0035849E - Antenna Mast - ES#2642707
View on www.ecstuning.com

Antenna Mast
ES#: 2642707
Mfg#: 1J0035849E
$12.95
Old 07-13-2014, 10:01 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

If one is not concerned about concours, this will work, and appears very close to orig.

Amazon.com : Scosche VW102 Amplified Antenna : Vehicle Audio Video Antennas : Automotive Amazon.com : Scosche VW102 Amplified Antenna : Vehicle Audio Video Antennas : Automotive

BTW, this is only the FM antenna. The AM antenna is a fine wire embedded in the right side of the windshield about 12mm from the edge seal.
Old 01-14-2016, 08:22 PM
944Leigh
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I DO need to connect those wires! I installed a new stereo and thought " I don't have a power antenna, I'll just tape those off..." and now my radio isn't coming in . Do over. Thanks for the info.
Old 01-13-2019, 08:26 PM
DSMblue
Three Wheelin'

Received 176 Likes on 136 Posts

Resurrecting this thread - is it possible to just get the new gasket only?

Quick Reply: 968 Coupe Antenna Replacement