968 Forum 1992-1995

First upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 02:33 PM
Klinestein
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First upgrades

Finally got some cash on hand to do some work on my "new to me" 968. It was my dad’s, but he isn't able to work on it anymore, so now it’s mine. Plans are for a DD/weekends in the country car. Maybe 1 or 2 auto cross races a season if I get the time. Already got a 964 that my dad set up as his race spec car if I want to do anything more involved. So, two questions then.

I already have the pads from when he was still able to work on the car, Hawk HPS. But I need to put new rotors on. I've seen all the slotted v drilled v dimpled or this drilled v that drilled or Zimmerman v Sebro v obscure custom two-piece race application rotor posts. But as I'm not racing it, I am planning on just going with solid rotors. Would there be any significant difference for me between the Sebro coated rotors and the much cheaper Centric rotors.

It currently has 16" rims. I was planning on keeping those and putting all seasons on it for during the winter, but I wanted to get a set of 17" rims that I could throw a more aggressive tread on for in the summer. But all I can seem to find are either expensive used Porsche rims on eBay or 18" aftermarket rims. Best I could find in the 17" level would be a set of custom BRAID wheels. Since it’s a curvier car, I personally think it would look good in more modern looking wheels than the older boxy Porsche wheels. I'm not looking for $50 rims from the tuner down the street, but I don't really want to pay 1k for custom BBS rims either. any suggestions?

PS, I do in the future want to look at maybe upgrading to an M030 set up or refreshing the suspension, but that’s further down the line. So, I don’t need any suggestions about that kind of stuff here.
Old 01-08-2019, 03:58 PM
jsheiry
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

Klinestein Congrats on your new 968! Post up a few pics, look forward to meeting you....I live across town in Alexandria, VA. Im cleaning up a set of Speedline knock offs for my cab and may have a set of 17" Cup II's to sell this spring if your still searching. Sounded like all good advice in the other thread on brake/components. I like the Zimmerman Z coats and Sebros as well in the basic solid form.
Old 01-08-2019, 04:59 PM
Klinestein
Track Day

I wanna get it detailed and cleaned up some, then I'll let some of my photographer friends have at it for photos to show her off with and keep in my wallet .

I do like the Cup II wheels. That's what my dad has on the 964 right now. Debated snagging them come summer and seeing how they look. But i was hoping to see if their were any other options people had found for the 968 in 17". I've been looking at the BBS Sport ones off a Boxster as well. I think that forked style would look good on the 968.

I'm thinking ill just get the sebros.
Old 01-08-2019, 05:52 PM
jsheiry
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

Dont forget to check your dads records for the timing belt/balance shaft belt maintenance as well as the cam chain and sliders maintenance. These items can not be overlooked on these cars and your money may be better spent there before even refreshing the brakes if its been a long while since they have been done. Sounds like you have a Pcar family and probably well aware of those items but if not.... there are plenty of threads around here on them as well and the results are no fun when one breaks or fails.
Old 01-08-2019, 07:16 PM
Klinestein
Track Day

I know it had a bunch of stuff done to it before we bought it. I just need to find all the paperwork. We had a 944S2 before this that we learned about real early when we had to replace the clutch. so when we got this as a replacement after a drunk driver wrecked that one, i know he was looking to make sure a lot of that had been taken care of.
Old 01-09-2019, 11:16 AM
Yogii
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 136 Posts

With these you are half way there:

https://rennlist.com/forums/968-foru...ii-wheels.html

And don't for get to save some money for good rubber.

-Yogii
AKA 968 Virgin

Last edited by Yogii; 01-09-2019 at 11:19 AM. Reason: more added
Old 01-09-2019, 11:52 AM
Klinestein
Track Day

My dad has a set of two of those floating around the garage already. I would probably only need the 7.5s for up front. And I was looking at getting something in "max performance" category on Tirerack. I'll finalize that after i get the rims.

He used to race Porsches in the 70s and 80s, So we've got tons of stuff floating around the garage. Even got a set of four 2-piece wheels for a 914-6 floating around in there too and two unbuilt engine blocks for an early 911. I'm gonna spend the summer working through some of the stuff to see what i should sell and what to keep.
Old 01-11-2019, 08:35 AM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 267 Likes on 154 Posts
Default Re: First upgrades

Join PCA, then sign up for Driver's Ed events.
Old 01-12-2019, 08:57 AM
LM964
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Klinestein
He used to race Porsches in the 70s and 80s, So we've got tons of stuff floating around the garage. Even got a set of four 2-piece wheels for a 914-6 floating around in there too and two unbuilt engine blocks for an early 911. I'm gonna spend the summer working through some of the stuff to see what i should sell and what to keep.
Wow, sounds like your dad is a goldmine of knowledge and all sorts of interesting parts. Hang on to it all and catalog it..

Thought about a subtle color change for the Cup 2's? That could make a difference.

Old 01-15-2019, 03:00 PM
Klinestein
Track Day

Originally Posted by LM964
Wow, sounds like your dad is a goldmine of knowledge and all sorts of interesting parts.
He used to be. Alzheimer's has kinda robbed him of a lot of that. Every once and a while i can get some really good stuff out of him, but its not very often. I try and take him out in the cars for a drive when i can because i know he still really enjoys it. And i'll have him hold tools for me when im working on the cars.

Originally Posted by LM964
Thought about a subtle color change for the Cup 2's? That could make a difference.
Its not so much the color. I like the color, but the style just doesn't speak to me. I like the style of the forked Boxster S wheels that I've seen a couple times on 968s.
Old 01-16-2019, 05:25 AM
LM964
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 68 Posts

So sorry to hear about your dad and the challenges he is facing. One thing you can be sure of though, is he's a through and through petrolhead it sounds. Great he still goes out on 'spirited' drives with you and gets involved in the garage.

Yes, I do like the Boxter S wheels too. Being much later wheels there should be plenty of them around. Not sure if the offsets are the same as the 964 though.
Old 01-17-2019, 03:32 PM
Klinestein
Track Day

the offset i think is only off by a couple mm. and Ive seen a bunch of people using them and also the sport classic wheels in here, so it should be possible!

Quick Reply: First upgrades