968 Forum 1992-1995

importing 968 from UK/Europe anyone have any thoughts/experiences

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 03:04 PM
bobt4945
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default importing 968 from UK/Europe anyone have any thoughts/experiences

anyone ever bring in a porsche (968 specfically) from uk/europe? how much to ship? federalizing cost? what if i wanted a club sport? what would have to be done to it to get it U.S. legal? what if i brought it in to Canada 1st (any requirements to bring there) and then drove it across (trying to beat the federalizing issue) could it be considered a race and no federalizing requirements. looking for reasons/road blocks not to make it possible or realistic. thanks have a safe 4th and GOD BLESS.

bob
Old 06-26-2013, 05:20 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Joska here brought in a Sport; he had huge issues with the company doing the Federalizing (not sure they ever did the actual work needed). It would not be a smart financial move if done properly.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:34 PM
MB968
Racer

I brought in a car from Canada which had originally been brought into Calif. when new. At the border, they inspected the car to make sure it met US requirements (even though I had paperwork showing it was sold new in the US). Since it was a US car, when the car was brought in from Germany, the import tax/tariff was paid. Otherwise I'd have had to pay the import tax. And, in order to get a US title, I had to have the paperwork from the customs office at the border certifying all the things mentioned above.

Prior to my purchase, I went to the Customs site and found out what paperwork I needed at the border. And, I also called the Customs office at the border crossing I was going to use. This allowed me to confirm my understanding of the info on their web site. If you do these two things prior to purchase, you should be able to get a good feel for what it will take.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:58 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

MB, he's talking about bringing a non USA car-which means EPA and DOT issues. Your car had no such issues.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:36 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

terrible idea from an economic.....

worse than purchasing a 355.
Old 07-04-2013, 04:40 PM
Marcel458
Intermediate

We in Europe import cars from the US and Japan because they are cheaper and in better condition. In most parts of Europe the wether is wet, and during the winter salt is used on the roads against ice. Especialy for the UK cars rust/corrosion is a known issue.
Old 07-05-2013, 03:03 AM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

A car less than 25 years old is a real hard job. Since the 968 was offered in a US federal spec version, all the US federal spec options must be present. I'm not going to go down the list, but it's extensive. What you would be best doing is to buy a crashed US spec 968 that's pretty whole, then when your imported car arrives at the registered importer and federalizer, they would move all the needed bits from the wrecked US car to the import car. Then, they document it all with pictures and an inspection by the DOT guy, and if you're lucky, they will issue a conformance certificate. Since it will have a non US VIN tag, you'll get a sticker for your door jamb that says "this vehicle complies with all fed motor vehicle DOT standards on the date of it's manufacture" or some such wording. Then you can take the DOT inspection, and the car to the state DMV and your title from the foreign country, along with the certification from the registered importer, and the state will likely issue you a title, and take the old title from the other country. Unless you are in CA, in which case - you're screwed.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:51 AM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Originally Posted by Marcel458
We in Europe import cars from the US and Japan because they are cheaper and in better condition. In most parts of Europe the wether is wet, and during the winter salt is used on the roads against ice. Especialy for the UK cars rust/corrosion is a known issue.
Much of the USA (the northeast, the midwest) has similar conditions re:winter salt.
Old 07-05-2013, 06:12 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Canadian and North American cars are same spec. My turbo is a Canadian car, had no issues getting it registered in US. Getting a car from Europe is a whole different game.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:38 PM
Vilhuer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 33 Posts

Taking used parts from US spec car is not enough. Most ROW cars had same catalytic converter as US cars but even that doesn't help when ROW is imported into US. New converter is needed to get it pass. That alone is $$$$. Bill can easily run up to $10K.

Something like factory 968 Turbo S could be different as it was never sold in US. Those cars can get in with less done to them under Show and Display rule.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Show_and_Display
http://www.showordisplay.com/p/class...both-text.html
Old 07-05-2013, 08:58 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

nothing mentioned by the op or the gallery is even remotely desirable.

op is far better served just buying a decent 911. or wait for a 968 where admittedly, the pickings are slim.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:35 PM
tamathumper
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From the bit of reading I did recently to bring a Canadian car back into the U.S. (it was originally a U.S. car and had been sold/shipped to Canada), it was going to take at the very least a speedometer re-face and a bunch of letters to/from the importer(s) and customs. It was not a buy-and-drive home scenario.
Old 07-09-2013, 02:02 PM
bobt4945
Advanced

thanks for all the insight guys was cruz'n uk 968 for sale and saw some club sports for sale (right hand drive no less) and thought how cool. sounds like at this time it makes no sense from a fiscal point of view.
Old 07-09-2013, 02:59 PM
ramius665
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Once the Club Sports get over 25 years old, the import rules change and it becomes much more friendly. Still wickedly expensive though.
Old 07-09-2013, 05:07 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I have a good friend importing a 928CS into the US right now. I'll find out how hard it is in the next few weeks. It should be here in mid-August. It is > 25 years old, so we will find out. Sadly, the oldest (92) car won't go over 25 years until 2017.

Quick Reply: importing 968 from UK/Europe anyone have any thoughts/experiences