968 Forum 1992-1995

1992 968 stripped roller

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 09:10 PM
Dandy_don
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1992 968 stripped roller

Before I get it hauled off to the closest junkyard next week, I thought I would ask again if anyone had any interest in a completely stripped roller chassis that has never been in an accident (other than a minor fender bender on the rear bumper that caused no damage to the metal body. I have pretty much taken off everything of value and so it would be a good place to start for a race/track car. Literally all that is left is the tub, rear quarter panels and glass, unbroken windshield. TX car so there is very little rust- the only rust I found was behind some body assembly caulk putty after removing both front fenders. The car still has the front suspension and steering rack (all shot) and the rear cross tube, trailing arms, and the stub axles.

I live just north of Houston in the Woodlands right off I-45. Let me know if there is any interest.

Thanks

Don
Old 06-04-2013, 09:36 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 123 Posts

The front struts would be useful for someone who wants to do the hacksaw koni conversion. Front crossmember might be good for someone modding them for engine swaps or who has cracked one from running over a rock or something.

Rear suspension might be valuable to a VW person. I had a non-roller shell hauled off on a flatbed and it was no big deal to pop it on there.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:09 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

cut that windshield out of the carcass....

1. you'll need about 50 feet of heavy gauge piano wire (because you'll break it at least 20 times)

2. and a family member (cuz non-family members might kill you before you're done). family members are basically stuck with you.

3. start at the lower corner near the VIN plate: make a thin starter hole (using a 1/16th drill bit) and fish it through.

4. next cut thin holes in 2 sticks (to lock in the wire)....

5. get to work. in about 2~3 hours you'll have hunk of 968 crystal heaven.

bonus: so much fun, you'll thank me later.

Last edited by odurandina; 06-04-2013 at 11:22 PM.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:37 PM
968Geb
Instructor

PM sent
Old 06-06-2013, 10:19 PM
Steve113
Rennlist Member

Received 298 Likes on 151 Posts

pm sent
Old 06-07-2013, 01:51 AM
Dandy_don
Advanced

By the way, the car has a perfectly clean, no accident, no salvage, no flood TX title, looking at it right now as I type this. No stories just a solid car from the sunbelt. And it is stripped pretty bare and is that ever a lot of work. The car was driven 70 miles to my house and got there just fine. The engine which I am keeping ran just fine. Tranny had a horrendous howl- likely pinion bearing. Just your basic sunbeaten 'ol Texas Porsch (sp, no one down here knows that Porsche is two syllables - kids laughed at my daughter the other day for using them both) that had decidedly seen better days but was still hanging in there. It is amazing really how well it ran despite all of the deferred maintenance. I think these cars are a lot stronger than we give them credit for.

Don

Don
Old 07-11-2013, 01:29 AM
Dandy_don
Advanced

Thought I had it sold but the prospective buyer backed out due to a family emergency. Any one interested in this shell? See above for descriptions of condition. It is truly a shell now only has the windshield and side fixed windows left and the rear quarter panels attached. No rust (except where front fenders were "glued" on, clean TX title. everything is the same.

Arash had some interest a while ago (his 968 was apparently totaled some time ago but he spent a month stripping the car and storing all of his pieces- that is true dedication my friends) but have not been able to raise him on his email. Sounds as if he is a busy guy. Anyway the shell is available through the end of July when I will just have to get rid of it.

Don

Quick Reply: 1992 968 stripped roller