968 Forum 1992-1995

Alternator removal DIY

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 03:13 PM
ernie9468
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking Alternator removal DIY

Not very often do I ask for help but my alternator is about ready for an overhaul (not charging at full capacity) do any of you as a link to a DIY for removing it.Do I need to remove any parts from the top in the engine bay or can I get at it from the bottom.TIA
Old 03-07-2013, 03:49 PM
mbardeen
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts

I changed my alternator out many moons ago. IIRC, I was able to remove it from the bottom with little hassle. I can't remember if I took the air box off or not (or if I had any other parts out of the car at the time).
Old 03-07-2013, 04:00 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 118 Posts

Have you checked the clarks garage 944 site? There might be something there.
Old 03-07-2013, 04:17 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

You should make 100% certain if it's your alternator. I have found the ground cable from the starter to the alternator to be a cuprit at times. Since the alternator sits right below the throttle body (coolant runs thru it) at times, a coolant leak can cause corrosion to the alternator leads.
Due to the 968 inta manifold design, I would think pulling it from the bottomw might be easier. Your other choice would be to seperate the throttle body, which would require new O'ring gasket.
Old 03-07-2013, 04:36 PM
ernie9468
Drifting

Talking

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
You should make 100% certain if it's your alternator. I have found the ground cable from the starter to the alternator to be a cuprit at times. Since the alternator sits right below the throttle body (coolant runs thru it) at times, a coolant leak can cause corrosion to the alternator leads.
Due to the 968 inta manifold design, I would think pulling it from the bottomw might be easier. Your other choice would be to seperate the throttle body, which would require new O'ring gasket.
It is the alternator,no grounds problems or any leaks either coolant or oil on my car.We check the alternator & this where the issues is (battery is brand new).I hate to fool around with the T/B since it never been apart & is trouble free,so I'm gone to give it a try from underneath.Thanks eveyone for the fast respond will let you guys know when I'm done,car is in storage for at least another month & a half so I'll take my time.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:56 PM
Miles968
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may need a "puller" to remove the pulley off the alternator. There is also a channel key, a small piece of metal that sits in the channel of the shaft and pulley itself. It's small and easily misplaced. I used jack stands at a height were I had access from top and bottom. Best of luck with the repair
Old 03-07-2013, 08:54 PM
ernie9468
Drifting

Question

Originally Posted by Miles968
You may need a "puller" to remove the pulley off the alternator. There is also a channel key, a small piece of metal that sits in the channel of the shaft and pulley itself. It's small and easily misplaced. I used jack stands at a height were I had access from top and bottom. Best of luck with the repair
Why do I have to remove the pulley from the alternator,I remember doing it on my 944 & just took the complete alternator out & brougth it to the shop for refresh.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:56 PM
Miles968
Rennlist Member

Only if you replace for another. No need if rebuilding
Old 03-07-2013, 09:20 PM
968gene
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 30 Posts

I remember something about renewing the alternator brushes without removing the alternator...also, could the belt be slipping?
Old 03-07-2013, 09:51 PM
car_slave
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I replaced mine recently and it was fairly easy. Pulled it out from the the top. Forgot what I removed to get better access, maybe the throttle body. It is heavy and annoying to get lined up with the bolt holes.
Just remember to disconnect the battery first or you could get a nasty short with lots of sparks.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:53 PM
ernie9468
Drifting

Talking

Originally Posted by 968gene
I remember something about renewing the alternator brushes without removing the alternator...also, could the belt be slipping?
__Yes this can be done.I did it on my ex 944,so is changing the regulator but migth be a little more of an hassle on the 968s.

Belt is not slipping but there is a sligth noise coming from the alternator bearing so that why I'm going with a full rebuilt.I trust the woman doing the rebuilt (husband has pass away but she kept the shop going) has done both my 944 alternator /starter in the pass & there is no issues with them up to date so I trust her work.First the rebuilt price is what I consider decent ( full rebuilt including brushes/regulator) $175.00 CDN plus no shipping hassle it's only five minutes from my place.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:01 PM
ernie9468
Drifting

Talking

Originally Posted by car_slave
I replaced mine recently and it was fairly easy. Pulled it out from the the top. Forgot what I removed to get better access, maybe the throttle body. It is heavy and annoying to get lined up with the bolt holes.
Just remember to disconnect the battery first or you could get a nasty short with lots of sparks.
I've remove alternator/starter before so I'm pretty familiar with the procedure.The reason I ask for help here is that the 968 migth have a specific way of removing it versus a 944 NA.Agree about lining up the bolts holes they are a PITA.
Old 03-08-2013, 07:39 AM
tamathumper
Racer

Just did mine last fall as part of putting the IceShark cables in. I got it out the top after removing the MAF, and yes there was blood and tears getting it back *in*. Those !@$# holes would not line up for anything.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:44 PM
Cloud9...68
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by tamathumper
Just did mine last fall as part of putting the IceShark cables in. I got it out the top after removing the MAF, and yes there was blood and tears getting it back *in*. Those !@$# holes would not line up for anything.
Yep, I had the same experience. For some reason, gettng those stupid holes to line up is a major pain.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:19 PM
sm
Drifting

Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by tamathumper
Hi, I'm wondering if your 968 benefited from the IceShark cables? I had a set on my former 951 and I so wish I kept those cables.

Quick Reply: Alternator removal DIY