968 Forum 1992-1995

Is 228k miles on orig stuff too old?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 12:15 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Is 228k miles on orig stuff too old?

93 coupe, has new clutch and belts, prolly brakes. Pretty much everything else is original.

Too many miles?
Old 02-09-2013, 02:24 PM
ernie9468
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

I'll say everything that is rubber (vacum hose/gas lines/ seals ect) plus the hard gas lines should be look at with this kind of mileage.Btw if you have to replace your brakes lines suggest you switch over to the S/S one.
Old 02-09-2013, 02:34 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

daily drive it for a few years and toss the motor.

even at 168 k miles, my engine still runs great. used only 1 quart of oil for 8 k miles between last oil change time.

i can't imagine it wouldn't go to 300 k.

the one you're looking at seems about the same.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:31 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

$5500 on CL, manual coupe. The midnight gray body looks straight and the int is classic gray. Might be something to grab up. Need to cogitate on it a bit.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:18 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.

the public doesn't even know what a 968 (the car that time forgot) is.

if this car was a crappy 944 and priced 500 dollars less, it would problably sell.

and my engine ? 90 hp more than a 944 engine and no takers.

go figure.

oh,

and Jeff....

about 6 or 7 968s sell at premium price each year. think about that.

unfortunately this isn't significant.

the rest of the cars are selling at very low dollars, or worse.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:51 AM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Well, your first sentence kind of defines the problem on your engine. The public just doesn't know about them, and rarely does a 968 engine go Tango Uniform such that one would need a used engine. That black car with a crapped engine is wanting + $6k for the whole chassis. Once I grab up your motor, and then the labor to put it in I've got over $8k into a car that will last a long time but not be worth much over what's in it maybe a break even.

So, the market is efficient. I bought a crapped out rag for under $2k and am looking at just over $6k when I get done, and my profit, if I ever sell will be maybe a grand, or a bit more? Sure, it'll give me a dozen years of transpo but so will a Focus, or a PT Cruiser. Frankly, the rest of the world doesn't care about the 968. We are an artifact in the world of cars. Sorry.
Old 02-10-2013, 03:30 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

well, Jeff effing hates me, but true that on all counts.

be careful, you don't want to end up in Jeffs out house, 'err dog house.

i love that you were able to pick up a car for $2 K....

we'll still do well to tip toe around the margins but,

considering what it usually takes to get these cars sorted — those $$$ #s are way freaking low.
Old 02-10-2013, 03:47 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

I don't know Jeff, except my car painter.

I've done ok on the resto of my car cause it's mostly all self-mx as you know. The finish paint is about the only thing that I'm having done outside. I also get a decent price on my parts from the local supplier.

We love the marque but we're in the minority by far.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:13 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

despite that my engine had the headgasket let go at like 148 k, i was able to close it up 100% with headgasket sealer. that was 20 k miles ago. now i found out they have even better sealer products with catalysts..... i've been doing research on these sealers and it seems using these products as preventative headgasket care is completely viable. as the time to do it is before there is a failure. they even have special headgasket failure preventative solutions to pour in with our coolant that works even better than the Blue Devil or Bars Leaks regular sealer.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:05 AM
rgs944
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by odurandina
despite that my engine had the headgasket let go at like 148 k, i was able to close it up 100% with headgasket sealer. that was 20 k miles ago. now i found out they have even better sealer products with catalysts..... i've been doing research on these sealers and it seems using these products as preventative headgasket care is completely viable. as the time to do it is before there is a failure. they even have special headgasket failure preventative solutions to pour in with our coolant that works even better than the Blue Devil or Bars Leaks regular sealer.
Links to these products? As far as the car that time forgot that is fine with me. When I take it out on the street people know that it is something special and rare. That also means cheap used parts forever. I know if Ineeded an engine tommorow I would be all over Odurandina's.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:25 AM
tamathumper
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stop Leak-type products didn't do my 944S any favors when the head gasket blew, in fact I think it made it worse. I don't recall the particulars now as that was back in 1998-ish, but it led to a $7,000 engine rebuild. Which to be honest may have been in the cards anyway.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:27 AM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Using head gasket in a can reminds me of Ed China on Wheeler Dealers grabbing the rattle can of spray paint while 'restoring' a Fiat Dino.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:33 AM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by odurandina
the public doesn't even know what a 968 (the car that time forgot) is.

if this car was a crappy 944 and priced 500 dollars less, it would problably sell.

and my engine ? 90 hp more than a 944 engine and no takers.

go figure.

oh,

and Jeff....

about 6 or 7 968s sell at premium price each year. think about that.

unfortunately this isn't significant.

the rest of the cars are selling at very low dollars, or worse.
OMG, I feel like I'm on that other negative site that I no longer visit. Anyway, i don't hate you but I do know you are wrong. You are just not aware of the market for nice 968s. Most of them trade outside of eBay and Autotrader. And the mecum 968 is just the latest in the very public form. Go 968s!
Old 02-13-2013, 12:32 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Jeff,

i was just half kidding.

Originally Posted by rgs944

Links to these products?

i now know that, had i understood the early signs,

i would have easily been able to head off the headgasket failure with Steel Seal.

http://www.steelseal.com/Latest-Head...t-articles.asp

i'll post a longer explanation in my ugrades thread now.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:00 PM
dkdm
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not really sure which high mileage car this thread was started for but I was very interested in this car: http://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/3573368271.html

It has 235K on it.

Looked at it several times, sent Jeff an PM to check on options
WP0AA2968PS820409
----------------------------------------------------------
Hi Dave,
Looks like a midnight blue coupe (1 of 220) paired with a classic grey interior (1 of 89). Nicely optioned with metallic paint, partial leather, XD4 painted crest center caps, 220 limited slip, 418 paint body side moldings, 403 17" Cup 1 wheels, 437 full power drivers seat, 490 hi-fi sound with amps.
Jeff
------------------------------------------------------------
He had some folks look at it but I don't think anyone who has a clue what it is.
I don't need another car right now or I would. I kinda feel bad I made him a low ball offer (mostly so I could talk myself out of it)

It is suppose to have service records and "was" a one owner car. This is where some may be concerned. I guess the original owner (now in her 70's) did not want to pay for the clutch and timing belt work the car needed so she sold it to the mechanic who had been working on it. He put the parts in (no paperwork for those items????) and sold it to his friend Marc. Marc ran into some trouble before registering it and so now it is for sale. Here in IL no bill of sale is required and the title does not have to be notarized.

Hope this helps someone, I couldn't talk my wife into a his/hers deal.
Please tell him Dave sent you
Dave

Quick Reply: Is 228k miles on orig stuff too old?