968 Forum 1992-1995

Panamera v8 in a 968?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 02:57 PM
qvpower
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Panamera v8 in a 968?

Just thought I would throw this out there as my first post I have seen ls motors in 944,968... but what about a panamera v8 or panamera v8TT? Would that fit and wouldnt it be an interesting combo? Anyone know the weight comparison between a pv8tt and the lsmotor?
Old 01-18-2011, 04:35 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you're going to daydream, see if the new Ruf V8 will fit!
Old 01-18-2011, 05:21 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

welcome to Rennlist. ... your first post will become infamous.... and you probably don't deserve the rumours & innuendo that will surely follow.... but, because v8 swaps tend to be complex in nature, the V8 chevy engines will always be the donors of choice becauase:

1. it's a damn good motor, 2. weighs on the same order of our variocam and 944 engines, and 3. can be done using many available parts from vendors and the sourcing of the remaining parts can be done without breaking the bank. 4. there are now quite a few experienced installers who can do the swaps for far-less time and aggrivation than you could ever hope to do the first time around. 5. there are lots of wonderful builds with quite successful results.

the first two threads are the primary V8 swap threads on Rennlist.

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...in-camaro.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...t-in-here.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...al-thread.html

Last edited by odurandina; 01-18-2011 at 09:42 PM.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:41 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 650 Likes on 504 Posts

the whole turbo system will add a good bit of weight. the motor will likely be heavier than an LS albeit likely not by too much. cadillac's northstar is a DOHC v8 of similar displacement and it weighs about 10-20 pounds more than an LS motor.

problem would be that a panamera/cayenne motor would still be very expensive, even from a wrecked car..
Old 01-18-2011, 05:52 PM
944er-teile.de
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

if you're interested go out and try - that's how people found out the LS1 does fit... discussing theoretics doesn't make any sense.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:47 PM
ninefourfourt
Advanced

+1 on the cost of a Porsche v8 out weighing a cheap plentiful chevy motor. Not that I see myself performing such a task. The power would be a blast, just not my cup of tea.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:24 PM
qvpower
8th Gear

Originally Posted by 944er-teile.de
if you're interested go out and try - that's how people found out the LS1 does fit... discussing theoretics doesn't make any sense.
Theoretics sense to me Its always good to think out loud and consider the possibility? Besides, with the panamera in production, eventually someone might be crazy enough to try it... I actually have been very inspired by the many on this forum who have spent so much time and effort on boosting the 968 in terms of power... I actually didnt find any weight figures on the panamera v8tt engine, which I am guessing it is heavier than an LS1 motor.....

On another note, I actually looked at the 944 turbo/968 because the car was very special to me. I remember my very good friend bought a new white 89 944 turbo... He passed away very young in life... Perhaps its the memories of those shared experiences with him in the car that I came onto this forum.

I dont own a 968 or 944, but I started coming on to search these forums looking for a 944 turbo white with black interior, perhaps to find the car or the possible memories of it and my friend. Its been 20 years and I still miss riding with him in that car going up the twisties off the canyons, feeling the turbo boost kick in, wind in our hairs, and just enjoying life.

I am not sure if in the future I will become an owner. But, I do appreciate you guys who maintain and keep these cars on the road with such passion. Because when I see one pass me, it always draws a smile on my face as those memories come back to me. And for that I am happy these cars can still on the road.

Thank you.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:57 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.

my biggest point of frustration with the 968s, is the engines are just so damn good....(i must be kidding right)? like, there are many more good engines, (despite that they're in need of timing system/and 100 k mile maint), than actual, well kept cars.... most of the engines are basically sound... so, in many cases, you'll almost need to treat whatever car you get as an example where the previous owner left some work on the table.... and that can often involve a lot of work before such car will become a truly nice car.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:26 AM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by qvpower
Just thought I would throw this out there as my first post I have seen ls motors in 944,968... but what about a panamera v8 or panamera v8TT? Would that fit and wouldnt it be an interesting combo? Anyone know the weight comparison between a pv8tt and the lsmotor?
Probably too wide (overhead cams).
Old 01-19-2011, 09:12 AM
ninefourfourt
Advanced

But, I do appreciate you guys who maintain and keep these cars on the road with such passion. Because when I see one pass me, it always draws a smile on my face as those memories come back to me. And for that I am happy these cars can still on the road
I very much miss my '87 951 and would definately not pass up another one. But I have since fallen in love with the 968's updated curves and cannot wait until the planets align and I am able to own one. I will definately miss the power though...
Old 01-19-2011, 01:11 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

one more thing..... i believe the proper question might be: will a panamera or cayenne engine fit in a 928. i believe that subject has been visited several times with the answer apparently being, no on the Cayenne engine, but "maybe" on a Panamera engine..... but, for the price of a Panamera engine you can take about 7 trips around the world and still buy a well sorted 928 or 944 or 968 with a v8 already swapped in.

will either engine fit a 968 or 944 ? the Cayenne engine, no. the Panamera engine, probably no.

https://rennlist.com/forums/928-foru...ne-engine.html
Old 01-19-2011, 02:16 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by qvpower
Theoretics sense to me Its always good to think out loud and consider the possibility? Besides, with the panamera in production, eventually someone might be crazy enough to try it... I actually have been very inspired by the many on this forum who have spent so much time and effort on boosting the 968 in terms of power... I actually didnt find any weight figures on the panamera v8tt engine, which I am guessing it is heavier than an LS1 motor.....

On another note, I actually looked at the 944 turbo/968 because the car was very special to me. I remember my very good friend bought a new white 89 944 turbo... He passed away very young in life... Perhaps its the memories of those shared experiences with him in the car that I came onto this forum.

I dont own a 968 or 944, but I started coming on to search these forums looking for a 944 turbo white with black interior, perhaps to find the car or the possible memories of it and my friend. Its been 20 years and I still miss riding with him in that car going up the twisties off the canyons, feeling the turbo boost kick in, wind in our hairs, and just enjoying life.

I am not sure if in the future I will become an owner. But, I do appreciate you guys who maintain and keep these cars on the road with such passion. Because when I see one pass me, it always draws a smile on my face as those memories come back to me. And for that I am happy these cars can still on the road.

Thank you.
Thumbs Up!
I remember very well, seeing a 951 in Pearl white parked off Rt33 in Old bridge at a dealer while I was driving by. That site is still captured in my memory. I was fortunate enough to own 4 951's before I switched to a 968. We are all trying to re-live our memories .
Old 01-19-2011, 02:18 PM
Fox944
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
the whole turbo system will add a good bit of weight. the motor will likely be heavier than an LS albeit likely not by too much.
DOHC Plus Turbos + all the turbo plumbing and not much heavier then the lightweight SBC?

I think a Turbo'd Porsche V8 would be too heavy, too expensive, and likely wont fit. There is a reason no one has doen the swap...even with Porsche old V8.

outside of that, SBC's are extremly reliable, and really easy to make big numbers with.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:53 PM
qvpower
8th Gear

Keep it up guys. Just browsing on the 968 and 944 forum makes me want to get one...
Old 01-19-2011, 05:20 PM
944er-teile.de
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm still addicted to the 4cylinder turbos - it's a kind of 'savoir livre' for me to keep the speciality of the biggest 4-cylinder ever built combined with the kick of a turbo. I'm very fascinated on the kit Porsche provided for those cars and that gives so much room of different combinations - displacement combinations, old style 924 up to modern looking 968, ... and everything will fit together (with small changes) to build up the next idea: from a lightweight 924 without turbo to a comfortable 968 to drive on the streets...

Quick Reply: Panamera v8 in a 968?