Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995
View Poll Results: would you like to see the 993 and 997 style hybrid body panels (page 12, 13) copied ?
yes, would like to see lightweight copies sold by GT Racing or other vendor.
61.29%
sounds cool, but not interested in doing this type of update.
38.71%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

a few upgrades for the 968....

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 11:50 PM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by odurandina
but add -- that i do something that's absolutely horrendous for belts. i often sit at truck stops and rest areas with the car idling, yapping on the phone and posting on P&C and elsewhere. not exactly good. so you can add a lot....idling is A LOT MORE abuse to these belts than normal.
+1 on this. The reasons are well documented. Even the factory driver's manual says not to idle these cars to warm them up.

Cheers,
Mike
Old 11-24-2012, 02:01 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

i'm reading your post from.....

idling for the past 45 minutes.

not good.
Old 11-24-2012, 02:23 AM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

PorscheDoc is in KC and has a shop
Old 11-24-2012, 11:35 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.

cool. thanks !
Old 12-17-2012, 02:19 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Last edited by odurandina; 06-12-2013 at 11:20 AM.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:16 AM
blue44
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice !

Donn
Old 01-11-2013, 01:36 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

For $5,999, Porsche Nine Sixty What?

http://jalopnik.com/5826321/for-5999...ine-sixty-what

Following the effeminate 924 and the etherial 944, the epoch-ending 968 seems to have become the forgotten Porsche. Today's Nice Price or Crack Pipe Cabriolet might just jog some memories, but will its price make you say fuggedaboutit?

Rumor has it that when questioned as to the absence of a true entry-level Porsche, a company executive made the claim that such a car did exist, it was called a used Porsche. Despite that seeming asshattery response, the Stuttgart car maker has for years offered a lower-priced, and equitably lower-performance model, some of which have carved out their own place in the pantheon of preferred Porsches.

Today's car perhaps has not.

The 968 was introduced in 1992, and even though it represented a departure stylistically from is predecessor, the 944S, there was no hiding the fact that the basic 968 body was little more than an evolution of the original 924, a car that debuted all the way back in 1975. Sure, the earlier cars' pop-up lights were replaced with 928-aping frog-pods, but that styling meme dated back to the seventies as well. The 968 also subdued the 944s aggressive fender flares for a smoother, more organic look, which, while offering a fresher appearance, served to make the car less iconic and even more so, less memorable. And, as it was followed by the rabidly welcomed Boxster, this end-of-the-road for Porsche's dalliance with a front-engine, rear-drive entry-level cars was for the time, over.

But for four years in the early nineties the 968 ruled the other side of the tracks at Porsche dealerships. It was made available as a coupe, a bodystyle that dated back to the original 924, as well as a somewhat awkwardly realized soft-top. That convertible version, which debuted late in the 944's life, added a different dimension to the car, that of wind in your hair and potentially bird crap on your center console. This '93 968 Cabriolet provides both those opportunities, although you'd likely want to protect it from the latter as its black and tan interior currently looks to be in pretty good shape.

One of the changes that took place in the metamorphosis from 944 to 968 was under the hood, where the later cars' gained Porsche's VarioCam variable valve timing, and a sizable bump in displacement. The four pots powering this car in total displace 2,990-ccs, and individually maintain a bore that is greater than 4-inches across. That's a hole you could deliver a baby through. In fact, the 968 engine was one of the biggest 4-bangers this side of a pickup truck that modern money could have bought.

That 3-litre four was good for 236-bhp at the time, and put the power to the pavement through either a newly-designed 6-speed gearbox, or Porsche's Tiptronic automatic. Luckily, this black beauty has three pedals and the stick. It also has the Brembo brakes and aluminum suspension pieces that made the 968 stop and corner with authority. Of course this particular car has 164K on its clock so it may not be quite as authoritative as when it left the factory. That's a whole lot of miles on what is essentially a fairly complex automobile, something that should check the option box for potential future investment for any buyer. Other issues on this car are a top that is so rumpled it looks like an uncircumcised Shar Pei, and a basic lack of information provided in the dealer ad. That means you can't tell if it possesses any major negatives like burning more oil than an Iraqi retreater, reeking of cat pee, or suffering from an evil gypsy curse. The 90 days same as cash offer does mitigate that mystery somewhat, however.

Whether 90-days or today, the dealer's price for the car is an advertised $5,999, which is so far enough below KBB to make it pique anyone's curiosity. What do you think, is that a price that piques any part of you? Or, does that do nothing to overcome the fact that you would address it as Porsche who?

You decide!

i'm sooooo glad i bought mine....
Old 01-12-2013, 08:13 PM
flwbyu
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ah man, sorry to hear about the "scammer". Never fails. I'm going to be curious to hear your opinions about the dynamics of the car with the different engine. I've heard so much rhetoric on the subject, enough said. I am keeping my fingers crossed for ya!
Old 01-12-2013, 11:25 PM
mtnspeed
Rennlist Member

Default Looking forward to your write up once you get it back

Eric is close to me and I have talked to him in the past. Update with pics
Old 02-13-2013, 12:36 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

posting my headgasket drama from another thread;

despite that my engine had the headgasket let go at like 148 k, i was able to close it up 100% with headgasket sealer. that was 20 k miles ago. now i found out they have even better sealer products with catalysts..... i've been doing research on these sealers and it seems using these products as preventative headgasket care is completely viable. as the time to do it is before there is a failure. they even have special headgasket failure preventative solutions to pour in with our coolant that works even better than the Blue Devil or Bars Leaks regular sealer.

Originally Posted by rgs944

Links to these products?

i now know that, had i understood the early signs, i would have been able to head off a complete headgasket failure.

http://www.steelseal.com/Latest-Head...t-articles.asp

You may or may not have ever experienced a leaking or blown head gasket in your car's engine. If you have you already know what the warning signs are even if you ignored the early ones you could not possibly ignore the final warning that occurred at the point of complete failure.

In the early stages of failure your car tries to let you know something is going on when the temperature gauge is higher than normal or you keep having to top up the coolant reservoir. At this point a head gasket sealant could have saved you a lot of trouble if you had but noticed the signs. Unfortunately most people do not see the signs and the failure continues to worsen over what could be weeks or possibly even months. Finally your car lets you know that the head gasket has completely failed by the huge plume of white smoke that starts to billow out of the tailpipe. At this point what was probably a small pinhole in the head gasket that could have been easily fixed with a good head gasket sealant has become a large hole or rip in the gasket that is letting coolant pour into at least one of the cylinders in your car's engine. For years there have been a variety of chemicals marketed that have claimed to be able to seal a leaking head gasket.

This type of head gasket sealant relied on fibers or metals that were suspended in a liquid and poured into the cooling system. The engine was then warmed up and the suspended materials would theoretically flow into the leak and eventually seal it. Many of these chemicals actually worked relatively well if the hole was very small meaning that you caught the problem very early on. In fact many people would keep them in their cooling system at all times as a preventative measure. However when it comes to a warped cylinder head , a cracked block or a fully blown head gasket these types of head gasket sealant rarely if ever did any good.

The only way to repair this kind of damage was to tear the engine down and replace all of the damaged parts with new ones and have the warped heads milled or the cracked block welded to make it leak free again. This could end up costing hundreds of dollars in repair bills. This is something that most of us would really like to find a way to avoid if we end up facing a blown head gasket. Fortunately in the last few years there has been a lot of research conducted to find a formula that would create a head gasket sealant that could repair even a fully blown head gasket without having to tear the engine apart. The result of this research is Steel Seal a remarkable chemical sealant that is guaranteed to seal your blown head gasket and keep it sealed for as long as you own your vehicle.

if you've got steam coming out the tailpipe, drain the coolant, and get to all water.... then use Steel Seal or Blue Devil.

you can leave the Blue Devil in after using it, but no claims of using it for prevention is made by the company....

but, Steel Seal wil definitely aid the full-scale prevention of blown head gaskets in our engines.

instructions; https://secure.steelseal.com/index.p...FYGpPAodCxwATA

although Scotty Kilmer is a goofball, he's absolutely correct about being able to use Steel Seal in preventing a failure.

it's not cheap but, i doubt anyone will ever see a blown head gasket with this stuff circulating in the tank.

Old 04-02-2013, 03:30 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Originally Posted by JDS968

the bixenon headlight project is on indefinite hold...but not forgotten!

update ?
Old 04-02-2013, 11:41 PM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by odurandina
update ?
My life should be going somewhat back to normal next week...so maybe then I can get back to it.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:27 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

anyone running 928GTS brakes?

928GTS front pads from O'Reilly;

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...eyword=mkd594+

btw, been running PBRs on the stock rears for 5 years. fantastic pads. around $45~50 if you shop around.

replacement radiator hoses? remember, your lower hose is the one you need to watch. and it's prolly time for a new one;

call around/waste your time.... who's got the low hose for under $50? that's right; O'Reilly's.

Attached Images  
Old 07-05-2013, 09:00 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

with little help from North Hollywood Speedometer for (changing the board over for 968 and Mr. Goodwrench)....

sawz-all in the on deck circle, and a gallon of epoxy resin, cloth, etc, this is a go....

figured hybridizing the dash for the 996 cluster would be a fun way to get hurt during the next few weeks.

if anyone thinks this is a terrible idea, feel free to say so.

Attached Images        

Last edited by odurandina; 07-05-2013 at 10:03 PM.
Old 07-06-2013, 02:24 PM
flwbyu
Rennlist Member

Wow, you have a real undertaking there, switching to the 996 gauges. I would think the electronics would be the biggest hurdle. I have always thought doing something like this would be cool. Just to be able to have a readable dash at night. I will be real curious to see how this turns out. Best of luck!

Quick Reply: a few upgrades for the 968....