New splitter

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 04:05 AM
JarmoL
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default New splitter

Hi there,

My old splitter was bit "tired" so I decided to try something little different.
The loose idea behind this design:
->I have oil coolers in both front corners
->I want more cooling airflow through them
->I'll cut a hole into a fender liner to direct and evacuate the air
->I'll widen the bumper a little to make a "gurney flap" to create a vacuum effect
->the flaps bend under the splitter to support it so it can be made wider as well to create huge amounts of downforce.

So.. I realise the flaps should probably be bigger to make any real difference.. But it was interesting workout with aluminium anyway and the car looks little different now. I might redo the flaps at later date with bigger dimensions.

Last edited by JarmoL; 04-09-2013 at 05:43 AM.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:37 AM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I like it.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:19 AM
flwbyu
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks OEM. Nice!
Old 08-03-2010, 01:56 PM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 219 Posts

So you're saying the splitter itself is aluminum?

It looks great, nice work!
Old 08-03-2010, 03:19 PM
JarmoL
Racer

Only the triangular parts and the plates that attach to the edge of the bumper cover are alu. Splitter itself is fiberglass.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:06 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

You just made the car more aerodynamic. Now the bumper actually covers the entire tire.
Nice!
Old 08-04-2010, 12:27 AM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

How did you attach it?
Old 08-04-2010, 01:48 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

spectacular...

you all know there is a rail in front of the radiator GOOD for running 2 or 3 threaded rods to support a cradle (what we like to refer to as a "batwing", although in the case of the 968, we're running a pretty poor-quality hunk of plastic down there)... (better of course, if it were made of aluminum), which is what i'll be running beneath the bottom section of my 997 splitter.... remember that as the batwing ages, it's a great idea to reinforce the entire piece all the way around with standard surfboard epoxy and a couple of layers of 4 oz glass cloth.

i started a thread last year about adding the bottom section of a 997 front valence that i was lucky enough to pick up for short money...

https://rennlist.com/forums/968-foru...-plastics.html

this piece is now cut in half, right down the center (vertical cut)... and by removing about 1 1/2" off each piece in the center, it's now just about a perfect fit, and will be rejoined using the 3m/boeing 787 epoxy/cf cloth * (extremely exotic, astronomically expensive epoxy laden with tiny carbon fibers)...

i'll cut 5/16 holes and form a honeycomb pattern at the sides and connect in between the holes via about 80 small studs on each side... a layer of the exotic 3m plastic will be injected between the two pieces, and come oozing through about 60-70 holes per side as the studs are tightened down... and then, many small sheets of cf will be layered onto the front and rear of the new composite piece...

once all is ground smooth, several more layers of epoxy will be added and cf wrapped around the two elements for much needed reinforcement around the fender wells, and on front and rear of both sides of the new composite piece and all ground smooth... then add more of the 3m/787 epoxy around front and back of the 2 sides.

next a sheet of aluminum will be cut and fitted to cradle the splitter forming the new belly pan. i will used threaded rods to form additional mounting points at the extreme front and use the pre-existing mounting points at the center and rear... before all that happens, additional epoxy will have been added to the bottom of the splitter so that it can be pulled down firmly onto the aluminum bellypan from holes drilled from below...

once structurally sound, the front fascia will sculped and ground smooth using 3m duramix.

(hopefully), and with much needed help from God, it will be going up on the car sometime around late october.

if successful, i can add a 997 tt/gt2/3 cf insert (the cf splitter that comes out from the piece you see in the photo below) at some point after.

i'm in pretty far over my head.

/
Attached Images  

Last edited by odurandina; 08-04-2010 at 03:26 PM.
Old 08-04-2010, 03:03 AM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by odurandina
this piece is now cut in half, right down the center (vertical cut)... and by removing about 1 1/2" off each piece in the center, it's now just about a perfect fit, and will be rejoined using the 3m/boeing 787 epoxy/cf cloth * (extremely exotic, astronomically expensive epoxy laden with tiny carbon fibers)...

3/8 holes in a honeycomb pattern will be drilled on the side pieces, and connected via about 80 small studs... on each side a layer of the plastic will be injected between the two side pieces, and come oozing through about 48 holes... and layered into hundreds more, very small sheets of cf outside and inside.

after it is all sanded smooth, more cf will be wrapped around the two pieces for additional strength at the fender wells.

then a sheet of aluminum will be cut and fitted to cradle the splitter forming the new front belly pan section. there will be three mounting points at the front and two or more at the rear. in addition to that, additional epoxy will be added to of the bottom section of the splitter so that it can be pulled down firmly onto the aluminum bellypan... (hopefully), and with much needed help from God, it will be going up on the car sometime in october.

if successful, i can add a 997 tt/gt2/3 cf insert at some point after. either way, i'm in way over my head, lol.
...StrekStrekStrekStrek it, I'm using duct tape.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:19 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Looks fantastic!
Old 08-05-2010, 10:38 AM
JarmoL
Racer

Default Splitter

Thanks for your kind words guys.

First a picture showing the angle of the triangular part. And the second one showing the attachment to the bumper cover. The bolts you see have very flat 10mm square heads and built-in washers on the nuts. Very nice stainless Saab parts. In addition to these there is also one bolt on coming up through the splitter to the triangular part.

Last edited by JarmoL; 04-09-2013 at 05:43 AM.
Old 08-05-2010, 01:47 PM
pmcrespo
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome!

Quick Reply: New splitter