Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Thinking of changing the color of my 968... NOW DONE!

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 07:23 PM
future
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also what about this darker color flat grey - I really like myself:

Old 07-16-2010, 12:56 AM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 219 Posts

Every last car in this thread makes me happy in my pants.

Errrm...anyway yeah, I think the Sport Classic shade of grey is nice, but doesn't have the visual impact of the GT3 RS dark grey.
Old 07-16-2010, 08:53 PM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Saw one of those at Hershey this year.

nice Black 951 in the backround...:-)
Old 07-17-2010, 12:07 AM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 219 Posts

I might be really jaded with new, exotic cars, because I barely glanced at the RS before my eyes locked onto the 914
Old 07-17-2010, 10:56 AM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Now that's funny!

Love the shade of gray on the early 911.
Old 07-20-2010, 04:16 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm not as turned on by the dark gray as with the light gray. The 997 Sport Classic Gray is the nicest IMHO.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:20 AM
tek_121
Instructor

I agree 100% with you!
I prefer the light one much better too... also less common.

Originally Posted by FRporscheman
I'm not as turned on by the dark gray as with the light gray. The 997 Sport Classic Gray is the nicest IMHO.
Old 07-21-2010, 02:36 PM
tek_121
Instructor

Hi Mark, I've shopped around a bit, and I think that finally I'll do it.
The car is in a super good condition anyway, paint is a bit rough but mechanically sound, interior nice, so I think that the paint will be a good idea.

I'll do it similar to L63A, but just a bit lighter, I have also some Sport classics wheel, that I will redo in black with a polish rim... I think it will be very nice...

What you guys think, I should keep the bumperette/back wing/front light washer in black to go with the wheels?

Let me know what you think people...

Originally Posted by future
If tek_121’s car was a rare color then I could not agree more but the facts are that it’s not

A warp looks terrible unless the paint underneath is mirror perfect with no stone chips ... I covered this in one of our threads recently with lots of pics over on the 951 board if you want to do a search and see what a flat matt black 951 looks like

That is such a true statement ... Our cars are not exactly worth a lot of money in todays market. However as a person that likes changing colors on our P-cars I always have a preference if changing color to keep the new paint scheme in a P-car color (new or old).

Aviator grey is actually my fav color ... have you seen the 997 Sport Classic which is very similar?!? I’m currently painting the 993 project car in this color

Pic of Audi Aviator Grey:

997 Sport Classic Grey:

The manufacturer to Porsche of this colour is Glasurit in Germany and the paint code is L63A FYI - It's a flat none metallic colour with a clear coat finish

Do it before I do ... and if you need more encouragement then check this thread by a 911 owner doing the same I just came across: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/516422-project-911-x-introduction.html (Great thread which needs updating)

Jeff - that Signal Green 968 is an ex-Jap import by Beorg who has now sold it. He reads this forum regular but does not contribute much. He’s imported and owned a good 10 968’s in recent years into Sweden. Signal Green is Glasurit code: 22S (Years 1990-1994. Your Mint Gruen (Mint Green) color code is the rare 22R

tek_121 - If you need any additional help on the 997 Sport Classic Grey then just drop me a PM as I can assist with the same color match from other paint suppliers as Glasurit paints are very expensive.

For those who would like to know more about Glasurit and the Porsche Paint Schemes from over the years then here is the tool you have been looking for: http://color-online.glasurit.com/. From my understanding (correct if wrong) Porsche have used 3 paint suppliers over the years. The best way to us the color system is to type PORSCHE under Manufacturer and then sellect 968 from the drop down menu under Model.

Best regards,
Mark
Old 07-21-2010, 09:07 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I think your color choice will look absolutely... choice.

Black wheels, definitely. I think silver wheels will give it the wrong contrast.

I think you should delete the front washer nozzles because they break up the otherwise smooth bumper. IMHO they are unsightly. Also delete the front bumperettes and install ROW larger turn signal lenses. Then paint the rear bumperettes in body color. The wing, why not paint it and have one more thing to show off? If you don't, at least have it repainted black.

Whatever you do, post pics!
Old 07-21-2010, 09:13 PM
Fox944
Burning Brakes

i second all of arash's suggestions with the exception of painting the rear bumperettes body color. I think that looks tacky. Either leave them black or remove them and give your rear bumper a smoother euro look.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:21 AM
tek_121
Instructor

Thanks for your comment, about the front turn signal, from where can I get those larger one?

Originally Posted by FRporscheman
I think your color choice will look absolutely... choice.

Black wheels, definitely. I think silver wheels will give it the wrong contrast.

I think you should delete the front washer nozzles because they break up the otherwise smooth bumper. IMHO they are unsightly. Also delete the front bumperettes and install ROW larger turn signal lenses. Then paint the rear bumperettes in body color. The wing, why not paint it and have one more thing to show off? If you don't, at least have it repainted black.

Whatever you do, post pics!
Old 07-23-2010, 02:59 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

The dealer. I got mine from Sunset Imports in Oregon, cheapest dealer around.

If you like clear lenses, you can find those on ebay. They don't make them for 968s, but the 993 lenses "fit". I mean they physically fit, but the corners are more rounded and look odd to the trained eye.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:02 AM
1971 911T
Instructor

anybody contemplating a color change respray for a 968 should consider maritime blue as one option, no ? it's not metallic, very rare, and it's period correct.
Old 10-12-2010, 02:45 PM
tek_121
Instructor

future, take your email, I had a question for you...

Originally Posted by future
If tek_121’s car was a rare color then I could not agree more but the facts are that it’s not

A warp looks terrible unless the paint underneath is mirror perfect with no stone chips ... I covered this in one of our threads recently with lots of pics over on the 951 board if you want to do a search and see what a flat matt black 951 looks like

That is such a true statement ... Our cars are not exactly worth a lot of money in todays market. However as a person that likes changing colors on our P-cars I always have a preference if changing color to keep the new paint scheme in a P-car color (new or old).

Aviator grey is actually my fav color ... have you seen the 997 Sport Classic which is very similar?!? I’m currently painting the 993 project car in this color

Pic of Audi Aviator Grey:

997 Sport Classic Grey:

The manufacturer to Porsche of this colour is Glasurit in Germany and the paint code is L63A FYI - It's a flat none metallic colour with a clear coat finish

Do it before I do ... and if you need more encouragement then check this thread by a 911 owner doing the same I just came across: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/516422-project-911-x-introduction.html (Great thread which needs updating)

Jeff - that Signal Green 968 is an ex-Jap import by Beorg who has now sold it. He reads this forum regular but does not contribute much. He’s imported and owned a good 10 968’s in recent years into Sweden. Signal Green is Glasurit code: 22S (Years 1990-1994. Your Mint Gruen (Mint Green) color code is the rare 22R

tek_121 - If you need any additional help on the 997 Sport Classic Grey then just drop me a PM as I can assist with the same color match from other paint suppliers as Glasurit paints are very expensive.

For those who would like to know more about Glasurit and the Porsche Paint Schemes from over the years then here is the tool you have been looking for: http://color-online.glasurit.com/. From my understanding (correct if wrong) Porsche have used 3 paint suppliers over the years. The best way to us the color system is to type PORSCHE under Manufacturer and then sellect 968 from the drop down menu under Model.

Best regards,
Mark
Old 10-12-2010, 03:12 PM
future
Banned

future, take your email, I had a question for you...
I've just checked and no mail ... send me an email to mark.shepherd@deutschnine.com and I'll get right back to you

Quick Reply: Thinking of changing the color of my 968... NOW DONE!