DEUTSCH NINE launches NEW Motronic upgrade for 968

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 12:54 PM
951rs
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DEUTSCH NINE launches NEW Motronic upgrade for 968

Hi all

Mark and I have been contacted several times about options for Motronic upgrades for the 968...so let me introduce our newest product for the 968:

The Porsche 968 features a sophisticated M44.43 engine which is renowned for its reliability and - due to its respectable technical finesse – the fact that it is quite hard to extract noticeable additional power out of it.
Bearing these facts in mind we then were very astonished to find out that Porsche installed exactly the same Motronic unit and Software version both in automatic and manual 968’s and therewith commited to heavy compromises on the engines characteristics when used with a manual gearbox.
This fact ment considerable potential for the development of an ECU upgrade specifically developed and matched for 968’s with a manual gearbox due to the fact that ECU’s for engines connected to an automatic transmission normally have to be matched to the characteristics of this type of transmission meaning delayed throttle response and less sporty characteristics in general in order to ensure driveability and longevity of the drivetrain.

Additionally - and independent from the above findings - we have been contacted by several 968 owners in the past complaining about the responsiveness of the engine and wanting some additional power…

The new 968 ECU chip upgrade that DEUTSCH NINE offers was developed by a german engineer purely specializing in Transaxle Motronic systems and was tested and refined during long distance racing on a 968 RSR on various german racetracks. The following requirements were successfully implemented during the re-mapping:

• Remove any “automatic transmission related compromises” that were built into the ECU programming by the factory and create a “manual gearbox specific programming” instead
• Improve throttle response in the lower rpm band and revving happiness in the upper rpm range
• Increase power output without compromising on reliability and longevity of the powerplant

After extensive testing on road and track also including 24 hour long-distance racing, the finished ECU programming converts the 968 engine into what feels like a new powerplant responding much quicker to any power requests by the drivers right foot, revving up with less delay and more spontaneously.
Dyno testing showed an impressive peak power increase of 8-10% resulting in 260-265 crank hp when installed to a stock engine.

The upgrade may be installed in Motronic units with the OEM part number 944.618.123.02 and may not be used on automatic cars. Installation is easy and described on a manual included in the scope of delivery.

As we can guarantee that any manual transmission 968 owner will love this upgrade we give our customers the option to return it within one week after installation should they not be satisfied with it and we will refund their monies.

Our price for the upgrade is 210 euros.

If you have any questions just feel free to ask...or drop me a PM.

Best regards

Beni
Old 05-29-2008, 01:29 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow, this looks great. I'll be the first to ask, could you post some charts?? You'll sell a lot of these . . .
Old 05-29-2008, 01:51 PM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Sounds interesting. Here is an important question for any new electronics upgrade:

There are currently several successful chips available both here and in the UK. One problem they have had to overcome is the US spec car's Check Engine Light (CEL) and related emissions-control software and sensors. Has your upgrade been tested on US spec cars that subsequently passed emissions testing (and particularly the stringent California requirements)?
Old 05-29-2008, 01:55 PM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thats a great question.
Old 05-29-2008, 05:59 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 118 Posts

Excellent, I hate to ask but what will the chip do to my MPGs assuming I drive the same way?
Old 05-29-2008, 06:42 PM
951rs
Former Vendor

Thanks for your questions...

Damian NJ: Yes, we have dyno sheets for the tests but we will not disclose them to the public. The reason for this is that we don't want customers to quote us that their engine will produce 100% the exact same diagram, example: we have been reported considerable differences between narrow 16 inch wheels / tyres and a wide set of 18s (15bhp difference with the same car on the same dyno). We don't want the above customer with the fat wheels to be going to the dyno and then not seeing the peak numbers he wants to see and then complain about the chip...what we state is that the peak performance increases 8-10% compared to the stock configuration...this is what every owner may test 1:1 when dynoing the car before and after...

and as stated before, if somebody is not happy with the chip...he can return it in time and will get his refund.

Additionally, the main benefit you will encounter with this chip is not the peak power but much more the way the engine now behaves...and that is not visible on a dyno chart...in contrary...in the past I have been disappointed by two cars tuned here in Switzerland by Sportec, the performance looked nice on the paper but was not driveable at all.

rpm's S2: we have not sent any over to the US but I will check this question and get back to you guys. I do not expect any emission-critical changes in the low rpm region which is relevant for emissions though...

jeff968: For regular driving (about up to 4000rpm) this chip will improve fuel efficiency, we have been reported by a few german owners that the car consumes 0.7-1 liter less on 100km.

Cheers

Beni
Old 05-29-2008, 07:20 PM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What about the potential CEL problem on US spec cars?
Old 05-29-2008, 08:57 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Beni, I would like to put myself down as someone who would like to test this mod. I would be happy to do baseline dyno tests and after tests and share with everyone. I have 2 stock ECU's, one that is currently in the car and another that can be modified with your chip. This should facilitate in quick chip swap. When I dyno-tested tested my car last yr, it was in excellent tune and gave very healthy numbers so it should be a good example to test on.
I will be contacting you via PM to work payment details and such.
Thanks.
Raj
Old 05-30-2008, 11:18 AM
H2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Thanks, Raj, for being a test monkey on this. We're waiting with bated breath. I know that on my '85S a "performance" chip made a noticeable difference. But on my '88S4 the upgrade chips are of little value (this is widely accepted). Beni's description sounds compelling. But the proof's in the pudding. You should get a free chip for doing this. If it works out, there should be a bunch of sales.

H2
Old 05-30-2008, 12:36 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Harvey, I would be happy to do it just so that people could see if it works or not. I will setup a dyno day and people are welcome to join me in doing this test.
Raj
Old 05-30-2008, 05:15 PM
H2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Raj,

If you do this, I'll PayPal you $25 just to get to know the outcome and help you offset a small bit of the cost of the test.

Harvey
Old 05-30-2008, 05:39 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Harvey, thanks for the offer but I would do this anyway no matter which chip I put in. I was planning on doing this with my Promax chip once I was ready to install it so its no different.
I appreciate the offer but I am ok.
Thanks.
Raj
Old 05-30-2008, 07:31 PM
John Etnier
Rennlist Member

My take on this, and I really want to be corrected on it: I don't see anything in the original post claiming performance better than the best existing aftermarket chips already claim to provide at much lower cost. This is a $330.00+ chip.

I mean: for sure let's test away, and hope the chip does make it past the CEL and US-emissions problems that hung up others and does provide performance to justify its price versus the existing products, but: given what's claimed aren't we kind of been-there, done that?

This coming from someone who's installed and run RacerX and RSBarn chips. (I even have an Autothority 968 chip here, but bought it with a spare ECU and never had the need to install it.)

Very best wishes to Deutsch Nine: I'm sincerely happy to see anyone making an effort in this diminishing marketplace.
Old 05-31-2008, 12:15 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

John, these claims are higher than what has been claimed in the past. That is why I want to try it. The chips come with $$ back guarantee so there is very little to lose besides $$ for the dyno run. I was planning to do that anyway before and after I install my Promax chip, so why not try this one as well.
I don't see any harm in trying. If the product is as described, it could be a great upgrade for others, if not, I will save others the $$.
I don't want to discourage anyone from developing 968 products. Last thing we need is monopoly. Competition is good for us.
Raj
Old 05-31-2008, 12:16 PM
John Etnier
Rennlist Member

I couldn't agree more, Raj. Best wishes on your tests.

Quick Reply: DEUTSCH NINE launches NEW Motronic upgrade for 968