Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

DEUTSCH NINE launches NEW Motronic upgrade for 968

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 03:56 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

For all interested parties, Beni provided me a tracking number for the package and it looks like it arrived on our shores on 7/8 but has been stuck for some reason. There is no recourse since USPS does not offer tracking for international packages. They have sent me a replacement (hopefully via a different method) which I should be recieving shortly. Once I recieve the chip, I will try to schedule a dyno day when time permits.
Just to keep people honest, do realize that I do have a life besides cars and it will be one of the many things I have to address. In other words, don't expect it to happen the next day after I recieve the chip. Things have gotten busier as the summer has progressed. It might be a few weeks before I can even get to it.
Regards.
Raj
Old 08-05-2008, 11:30 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

FYI
I did recieve the 2nd chip yesterday. I will try to install it this weekend to give preliminery feedback with dyno runs to follow. The dyno runs will take a few weeks at a minimum.
Raj
Old 08-05-2008, 11:40 AM
future
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excellent news Raj and thanks for updating us

Beni atleast will be happy now as I know he has been chasing the first one he send out for some time now. Do you know if it is still heing held at customs?

Best regards,
Mark

P.S. I look forward to the dyno results and your impressions out on the road
Old 08-05-2008, 03:08 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Thanks Mark. I did not check but chances are, its still stuck in customs. Its been there for almost a month.
I should have some impressions by this weekend.
Raj
Old 08-10-2008, 10:14 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

As promised...

Just put the chip in this morning.
The CEL DID go on as predicted.
Initial pull from a cold engine with airbox mod and completely stock otherwise? it pulled very cleanly. No hesitation at all like with the stock chip. Once the car's operating temps were up to norm, I opened it up a bit in 3rd gear. I only ran it up to 5k rpm due to bicyclists on the road. The pulls were quite impressive. I did another pull in 1st, 2d and 3rd gear, again short shifting at 5k rpm due to local laws and I walked away very impressed.
To get quantitative results, I definitely want to do the dyno pulls. I can't wait to see actual gains. There are plenty of gains in the mid range and that is all I could test so far. I am hoping I can hook up with Steve since he just chipped his cab with Promax so we can do some comparison pulls.
I am trying not to lay it too thick but the pulls very very impressive. I was a non believer that a chip could actually give me the claimed gains but now I am dying to see what the actual gains are. There are definitely gains, how much? we will know soon.
Hopefully, this will be enough feedback to D9 to look into getting the CEL issue fixed. Dyno runs should happen sometime soon. I definitely want to run this chip!
My Promax chip(uninstalled, never came out of box) is up for sale. I can use Steve's DME for the test. I also have my stock DME, spare DME that I bought from Kevin which has this chip. So far I have the two chips I was interested in testing. The stock DME should give me the baseline.
I will let everyone know when I go for the dyno run. Other vendor chips are welcome. Just provide your chipped DME.
Stay tuned...
Raj
Old 08-10-2008, 12:09 PM
AaronR968
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow so I guess it's good
Old 08-10-2008, 01:37 PM
pazzer
Advanced

just curious Raj, but why did'nt you use the promax chip, surely this has gains over stock, yet its never been used?????
Old 08-10-2008, 01:43 PM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Great initial report. Look forward to the dyno results.

Of course the chip is unusuable until the CEL problem is solved. I'll be interested how D9 can accomplish that without a US DME to test on. Of course Promax overcame the challenge, so it is possible from across the pond.
Old 08-10-2008, 04:42 PM
Stephenwz968
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would imagine Raj didn't want to open up the DME too many times, the metal tabs are pretty fragile.

Steve
Old 08-10-2008, 07:05 PM
promax_motorsport
Racer

Hi All,

Comparison pulls will only make sense on the same car; on the same dyno and on the same day. The differences are likely to be very close between chips. Perhaps baseline two cars (with their current software) and then add a D9/ProMAX/RS Barn etc. could be an approach?

Glad the D9 chip made it over. Using parcel post (unless its UPS, DHL etc) is often problematic; hence I can sympathise with the issues experienced by D9.

The CEL issue is important to address for US/CAN cars (we did this back in 2004), but I am sure D9 will work a way round it.

Interesting thread, look forward to seeing those objective comparisons. :-)

Regards,
Andrew
Old 08-10-2008, 07:28 PM
951rs
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi all

Raj, I'm glad to hear your first impression of the chip is very good...I'm very confident that this will be underlined by some nice dyno results...
as mentioned to you earlier, this chip runs in about 40 european 968's and all of the owners would not want to miss this mod any longer...
it has also been successfully tested on the 24 hours of Nürburgring so it seems as it would be very safe to run for what 99.99% of our customers will use it for

Andrew, thanks for your post...glad to see some fair competition on this thread!

rpm's S2: Thanks for sharing your concerns as well as pointing out that the chip will require fixing of the CEL issue before it is ready for being rolled out to US and CAN...it seems to me as the CEL will be your main opposite standpoint for "trashing" our chip...therefore I'm happy to inform you that fixing it will not require an US DME...it also works on an euro spec DME which also has the CEL feature built in but the instrument panel will not indicate it..

I fully agree that everybody should supply their Motronics to Raj for the dyno testing and am very confident the chip supplied by us will perform as described.
If the results meet your expectations and there is sufficient interest in the 968 community we are very willing to do the necessary to roll it out to the US market...

Cheers

Beni
Old 08-10-2008, 08:08 PM
richard glickel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi Raj,

Good job. Depending on where you do the dyno runs, I may want to try the chip in my car too - time permitting.

Richard

Last edited by richard glickel; 08-11-2008 at 10:42 PM.
Old 08-10-2008, 09:29 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Rich, it will be at Paddock most probably. Last I heard they have their dyno setup at the new place. I used their dyno at the old place as well and would like to remian consistent if possible. You are more than welcome to try it on your car.
Andrew, its very nice of you to chime in. Believe me, you make a wonderful product and I have been very happy with your chips over the years ( I am sure your invoices can attest to atleast 5-6 purchases at a minimum). That is why I still want to test your chip against this.
Beni, if you guys need a US spec DME, I would be happy to supply one. I just need it for my test and you can have it after that.
For both of you, thanks for developing products for our cars. Competition is good for all of us.
Regards.
Raj
Old 08-11-2008, 07:25 PM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

it seems to me as the CEL will be your main opposite standpoint for "trashing" our chip
Hey Beni - enough of this. Show me where I have 'trashed' your chip. I have been only supportive of Raj's efforts, specifically saying that I looked forward to the results.

From the start I have identified the CEL issue as critical for acceptance of the chip. Your chip did not pass that basic test - it is not usable at present in the US for road use. In your initial post back on May 29th you offered the chip for sale immediately to US customers. Later that day I posted in response to your advertisement:

Sounds interesting. Here is an important question for any new electronics upgrade:

There are currently several successful chips available both here and in the UK. One problem they have had to overcome is the US spec car's Check Engine Light (CEL) and related emissions-control software and sensors. Has your upgrade been tested on US spec cars that subsequently passed emissions testing (and particularly the stringent California requirements)?
Is this trashing, or a potential customer asking what turned out to be a fairly important question?
Old 08-11-2008, 07:49 PM
future
Banned

Hi rpm's S2 - I'm really sorry for your feelings about Beni's previous post mate and I've spoken with him about this and he didn't mean to offend yourself or anybody else for that matter

I don't want to really jump in and stand up for his comment(s) as I fully understand your point of view. All I can say is that English is his third language after German and French and he can write in a very direct fashion as I get on a regular basis.

So on behalf of Beni - SORRY mate ... Nothing was meant of it

Quick Reply: DEUTSCH NINE launches NEW Motronic upgrade for 968