968 Forum 1992-1995

Installed a 996 3 spoke airbag wheel-here's a DIY

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 09:04 AM
Stephenwz968
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Installed a 996 3 spoke airbag wheel-here's a DIY

Thanks to Gregeast on the 944 board for a great write up, and for answering my questions when I got into a jam!!!

Here's the DIY:

1. Buy 3 spoke wheel/airbag and either the 996 or the 993 style clockspring.
2. You must cut the horn connector on the back of the new clockspring and the original.
3. Wire your old connector to same color wire on the back of the new clockspring.
4. Splice on a length of wire to the other horn wire and run it to a grounding point on the body.
5. Install the new clockspring with the grey harness at the top-do do this you may have to move the turn signal/wiper/cruise assembly forward a bit-you gain access to this by removing the plastic piece to the right of the steering column. This is removed by taking off the cover of the heater/ac controls and taking out those 4 screws, taking out the screw under the steering column and screw that hold the piece to the dash. The signal/wiper/cruise assembly has an 8mm bolt on a collar holding it in place loosen it, pull the assembly forward, and then run the wiring behind it and install the clockspring. Push the assembly back as far as it will go, and then tighten the 8mm nut.
6. The plastic cover that goes over the assembly needs to be modified a little bit more than Greg originally expressed. I made the clockspring hole bigger, cut off the plastic spacers on the rear so it fit closer to the signal/wiper/cruise assembly, and made the cutouts for the levers about 1/4" bigger so the levers would still pull forward.
7. Install plastic cover, reinstall trim piece on dash.
8. Install steering wheel that has had 1/4" milled out to gain some threads on the steering shaft.
9. Install airbag, horn contacts in the the wheel.
10. Admire your new airbag equiped wheel!

Hope that helps anyone looking to do this mod...I really like it, and it's a little different than the standard CS wheel install!

Steve
Old 04-25-2008, 09:07 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

I saw this steering wheel on the car and like it a lot. Its a great mod of individuals who want an upgrade but don't want to lose the airbag.
If you are at Hershey, please stop by to check it out.
Steve, how about sharing some pictures as well. Thanks for sharing the DIY.
Raj
Old 04-25-2008, 09:19 AM
Stephenwz968
Three Wheelin'

I will get some up this afternoon...wifey has the digital camera..

Steve
Old 05-04-2008, 02:19 PM
JohanvdWalt
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Pics please!!
Old 05-04-2008, 09:28 PM
Stephenwz968
Three Wheelin'

Here ya go!
Attached Images  
Old 05-04-2008, 10:21 PM
H2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Looks great!

BTW, I got scared of trying something this after I saw in the Porsche manual a drawing of a guy with a remote cord standing 15 feet from the car while doing something with the air bag system. I'm not sure what he was doing but I'm guessing that Porsche doesn't want one to get blown through the deck lid glass.

I just bought a Momo Club 4 steering wheel for my 928 (no air bag). Offhand, other than stock variations, three things really can update our cars a lot.....modern wheels, better sounding exhaust, and an updated steering wheel. Other changes can improve performance. If one were to forgo the airbag (which may or may not work after 15 years) I suspect this wheel would fit the 968?

BTW, in your foto, the black dash appears to be two colors. Is this by design (cool if so), or an abberation of the flash lighting? Nice car, nice steering wheel upgrade.

Harvey
Attached Images   
Old 05-05-2008, 06:31 AM
Stephenwz968
Three Wheelin'

Harvey,
That's a sweet wheel! It should fit the 968 no problem, I know the CS wheel works on a 928, so would think it would be reciprocal. My dash is all black...bad lighting in the garage and an old camera!

Steve
Old 05-08-2008, 02:42 PM
beemreatr
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what a good look! Nice write up as well.
Old 05-08-2008, 02:55 PM
future
Banned

Steve that looks excellent - great work
Old 05-08-2008, 09:59 PM
Shamus
Rennlist Member

I opted for a 996 4 spoke, but love the updated look.

There was a though about using a wheel from a Tip, and using the buttons to control an updated radio. Anyone ever get there?
Old 05-09-2008, 03:05 AM
JohanvdWalt
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Shamus
I opted for a 996 4 spoke, but love the updated look.

There was a though about using a wheel from a Tip, and using the buttons to control an updated radio. Anyone ever get there?
That I MUST see, pics please!!!
Was the prosedure the same?
Old 05-10-2008, 09:12 PM
Shamus
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JohanvdWalt
That I MUST see, pics please!!!
Was the prosedure the same?
Same proceedure. I wanted a wheel with the color crest, but found this wheel cheap.

So did anyone ever perfect the tip/radio connection - I'm thinking its time to replace my 15 year old OEM radio....
Attached Images  
Old 05-10-2008, 09:18 PM
H2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Shamus
Same proceedure. I wanted a wheel with the color crest, but found this wheel cheap.

So did anyone ever perfect the tip/radio connection - I'm thinking its time to replace my 15 year old OEM radio....
I replaced my CR-1 with the CDR-210 radio from the Boxster and I really, really like it. It fits perfect and "looks right" in the 968. Also, it has the removeable faceplate. The CDR-220 has the added feature of connecting iPods, etc. but the screen viewing angle is not good for 968s and it's about a $95 modification to make it work. Playing CDs rather than cassette tapes is nice. I may opt for the 220 someday but the viewing angle thing can be an issue.

I ordered a custom adapter "pigtail" and it wired right in.

Harvey
Old 05-11-2008, 03:24 AM
JohanvdWalt
Burning Brakes

Thanks Shamus

Wow that looks great, it look closer to the original and modern at the same time, I love it.
Colour crest would be great but there is always the matter of money, not whether you have it or not but rather what is sensible or not.

I'm beginning to question my own sanity with the upgrades I currently busy with.
Old 05-11-2008, 09:41 AM
smshirk
Three Wheelin'

Can all CDR 220s accept an Ipod modification? I have a 2000 in My 996 and don't really see any way tp do it. I thought it had to be a later model, as in 2003 2004 time frame.

Quick Reply: Installed a 996 3 spoke airbag wheel-here's a DIY