Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

WTB: Cup 1 wheels (OE silver)

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 03:16 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

I think the mistake you are making is thinking that he said OEM 968 wheels. He just said OEM, meaning original Porsche wheels. He never mentioned OEM 968 wheels, did he?
Your buddy said the exact same thing I said earlier.
Raj
Old 04-23-2008, 03:24 PM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm not sure if CUP I or not, they are NOT boxster wheels and came on my car from the factory
Just exactly what did I misunderstand abou the statement 'came on my car from the factory' in this post?

Last edited by rpm's S2; 04-23-2008 at 04:39 PM.
Old 04-23-2008, 04:55 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

That part is obviously incorrect. My response was in particular to your quote about them being OEM 968wheels. Those wheels came on 996's and Boxster.
So, I went back and read the complete description instead of just reading your quote and yes, he did say they came as original wheels on his 968, which is incorrect.
You were right in assuming that he was suggesting them to be on his 968 as originals.
Raj
Old 04-24-2008, 09:38 AM
macadamianut
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...So, nobody likes the idea of calling them the "jelly donut wheel?" I sure like jelly donuts.

The one's I picked up have some bad scratches on the faces and 2 small areas of curb rash. Has anyone found a good DIY paint/clear that is tough enough to stand up to the rim clamp machines?
Old 04-24-2008, 09:55 AM
Stephenwz968
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just painted my new wheels, and cleaned up some marks from laying them upside down on a brick driveway (PO).

First, I sanded the wheels down with 1000 grit, then I used Bondo glaze on the nicks, let it dry for 4 hours, sanded the bondo down with 400 grit, then 600 grit. Wiped them down with a tack cloth, used some duplicolor self etching primer, then sanded the primer with 3k grit paper. Wiped them down, then sprayed them with Duplicolor graphite (silver is available) 2 coats, then wetsanded that with 3k paper, then 2 coats with duplicolor clear, and I've been very happy with the results.

My short DIY...Raj has seen them in person and can comment on the outcome, I think they came out pretty good!

Steve
Old 04-24-2008, 09:59 AM
macadamianut
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you use the Duplicolor "Wheel Paint" that they sell, or just regular duplicolor?

Have you have tires mounted since the repaint and did they fare ok against the machine, road debris, etc?
Old 04-24-2008, 10:01 AM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

mmmmm.... jelly donuts

I bought a set of 993 Cup wheels (hence my fascination with the names - just went through this ad nauseum) last fall and puzzled over the cheap v. expensive refurbishment question. The wheels were in good condition and roughly fit your description - a few chips and a little curb rash. As my car is a daily driver perfect is not a requirement. If you want perfect then professional refinishing, at around $100-150 per wheel, is the best option. There are probably several shops in your area that provide this and some will come to you and do the work on site without even having to demount the tires.

You can also sand, bondo, and paint them yourself. 968Forums has a detailed DIY and I suspect Rennlist does as well.

I chose a cheaper route as I decided that my investment in bigger wheels/tires was already approaching $1,000 - and all of this just because I wanted bigger wheels (always have to keep the bookkeeper/spouse from killing me). I bought the correct Wurth silver alloy spray paint and, spraying some in a small cup, used a detail paint brush to apply multiple coats of paint to fill in the chips and slight rash. I then sprayed just a bit of Wurth clearcoat to give the repairs a bit of hardness. Will it survive contact with metal? Probably not.

This process produced a wheel that passes the '5 foot' test with flying colors. The Wurth paint was a perfect match. They look great, until you stick your nose in them and then you see the trace outlines of the repairs.
Old 04-24-2008, 11:26 AM
Stephenwz968
Three Wheelin'

Mac,

I used the wheel paint and then then truck/suv clearcoat. I've used the regular paint as well with great success.

Steve
Old 04-24-2008, 11:47 AM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 118 Posts

I went the proffesional route. Those coming to Hershey can see the results which i was happy with. the nice thing was the refinisher was able to bake the wheels in an oven after they were painted for stronger adhesion. My tires were removed and the remounted by the restorer who used the sticky weights properly mounted behind the wheel faces. He also straightened and cleaned up the rear of the wheels. This process cost me $150 per wheel. They came out nice.
Old 04-24-2008, 12:30 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Jeff, that is an excellent price. I wonder how much they would charge for 3 piece wheels. I can't wait to see them in person. If they look great, I might have a project for them.
I spent close to $1500 to get a set of 3 piece wheels redone.
Raj
Old 04-24-2008, 12:31 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Stephenwz968
I just painted my new wheels, and cleaned up some marks from laying them upside down on a brick driveway (PO).

First, I sanded the wheels down with 1000 grit, then I used Bondo glaze on the nicks, let it dry for 4 hours, sanded the bondo down with 400 grit, then 600 grit. Wiped them down with a tack cloth, used some duplicolor self etching primer, then sanded the primer with 3k grit paper. Wiped them down, then sprayed them with Duplicolor graphite (silver is available) 2 coats, then wetsanded that with 3k paper, then 2 coats with duplicolor clear, and I've been very happy with the results.

My short DIY...Raj has seen them in person and can comment on the outcome, I think they came out pretty good!

Steve
I saw Steve while he was in the middle of this process. He was very thorough and the result were good. The shade works great on his car.
Raj
Old 04-24-2008, 01:52 PM
Stephenwz968
Three Wheelin'

Thanks, Raj! Mine aren't perfect, but they are really nice. I think the trick is to do very good prep work and don't rush anything.

Steve
Old 04-24-2008, 03:52 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
Jeff, that is an excellent price. I wonder how much they would charge for 3 piece wheels. I can't wait to see them in person. If they look great, I might have a project for them.
I spent close to $1500 to get a set of 3 piece wheels redone.
Raj
Raj,
He does them all. I saw some crazy 20" BMW m-series wheels that he was working on with so many spokes I couldn't believe it. He's located in Wallingford, right off the merritt parkway. He fixes the wheels and does the mounting. He has another guy do the painting for him.
Jeff
Old 04-24-2008, 04:26 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I like the Cup 1s, myself. Factory if possible, although those 7.5" fronts are becoming hard to find.
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: WTB: Cup 1 wheels (OE silver)