Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

What do you have planned for this weekend

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 11:35 PM
968workaholic
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is a thing a beauty. It is really amazing that you were able to find an origional motorsport flywheel. My only question is if you had the flywheel turned to make sure it was true, or if it was truly pristene and did not need to be resurfased. Either way i am very suprised that you did not have any vibrations around the 2000 rpm range since there is nothing to absorb the vibrations coming from the idler gears in the transmission.
Old 09-01-2007, 12:10 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Why would you be surprised? What's surprising to me is why certain flywheels get vibrations. The 9M unit does not and neither does the original Porsche Motorsports unit.
Raj
Old 09-01-2007, 12:38 AM
richard glickel.
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I saw that part in person . . . Raj showed it to me a couple of weeks ago. Very clean, work of art. I don't think it will adversely affect the "feel" of the car - not at all.

Throttle response will feel much better though!
Old 09-01-2007, 04:17 AM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Given that the PO of this part reported "important" vibrations on his 968 CS, I am sure surprised - and kind of relieved - you have not observed any so far. Perhaps it had not been correctly fitted to the PO's car or there was something else wrong with his tranny.
Anyway, good to read you are well satisfied with it.
Old 09-01-2007, 07:06 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Wow, nice Raj. I'm glad it feels good - I've been wanting a lwfw but I was worried it would feel crappy.
Old 09-01-2007, 07:42 AM
Stephenwz968
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry it took so long to report, had some chores to do last night. First off, I was able to pull out of the driveway without over-reving the car, and without stalling, it felt almost identical to the drivability of a 944 turbo. The notion that driving one of these cars with a lightweight flywheel in traffic is a pain is completely wrong. The clutch was incredibly smooth, I'm sure in part to Raj's bleeding the system, and the spool up is just amazing for such a large engine. After driving my car in the afternoon, to jumping into Raj's with the LWFW, the difference is night and day. His car spins a lot faster both in and out of gear, and between 2000-4500 there is a big difference, it makes my car seem lethargic!

As far as the rattles or vibrations, there were none at all. Zip. I rode around at 2400 rpm with my hand on the shifter, nothing. Accelerated hard, nothing. Cruised at 1900 rpm, nothing. No "bolts in a coffee can" sound at all, it was just smoother and faster.

Now I'm drooling even more over this piece of unobtainium!

That's one great mod, Raj!

Steve
Old 09-01-2007, 09:45 AM
968workaholic
Pro

I am suprised that there is no vibration because whenever a car is changed from a DMF or a cltch with a spring center, to a SMF or a solid disc, there is almost alwasy vibration. Even more in the P cars due to the torque tube and the trans located in the rear. What kind of clutch disc are you running? Is it a Sachs or some other brand? I am really interested to find out.
Old 09-01-2007, 10:34 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

968, where do you live? Maybe you can drive my car and see for yourself. That should make you a believer.
Like i said earlier, I want to make sure I get other's opinions before I say something. I will have Damian report as well. So far, no vibrations.
Raj
Old 09-01-2007, 07:01 PM
rwodabek
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rwodabek
Just picked up a SS Exhaust Tip from RSBarn - going to wash the car and install it - can't wait.
And here it is...
Attached Images         
Old 09-01-2007, 08:47 PM
968workaholic
Pro

Raj, I am in eastern PA, about 30 minutes north of philadelphia. I can see you are in NJ. I would be very impressed if this flywheel is as perfect as it sounds. Maybe we could set up a meeting somewhere in the middle of me and you. BTW do you have a Sachs clutch disc or some other brand?
Richard, that SS tip is a much needed improvement over the rusty stock one. It looks very fitting to the car.

Last edited by 968workaholic; 09-01-2007 at 09:57 PM.
Old 09-01-2007, 10:28 PM
Renalicious
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No rattles? That's interesting as I heard that if you put that flywheel in a 968 it will rattle regardless since it's not dual mass. I have a new RSB flywheel in my car that is supposedly built to spec of the Porsche motorsports one that you have (same weight etc), but there is rattling and vibration. Apparently it's a bit less than the fidanza flywheels, but same RPM range etc. Is there anything different about your drive train maybe? O_o
Old 09-02-2007, 12:50 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Update: I went out for a drive but with the top up this time specifically looking for vibrations. Guess what, there are very minor vibrations between 2K and 2.6K. You actually have to try to initiate it, coast down and load the transmission and you will get it. So, I wanted to make sure I update everyone. But the acceleration between 2k-4k is unbelievable. It revs so much faster. With the top down, it seemed like a non issue and was very hard to feel.
968, I had a funny feeling you might be for PA, funny hunch. Care to introduce yourself to everyone?
Ren, the RSB is NOTHING like the factory unit. What I have is what's shown on the website. As you know, what you recieved is completely different and more inline with the Fidanza unit.
Also, there is a weight difference between these two. My drivetrain is completely stock. I have some other tricks to try to cure the minor vibrations, stay tuned...
Raj

Last edited by RajDatta; 09-02-2007 at 10:48 AM.
Old 09-02-2007, 11:02 AM
968workaholic
Pro

Ill introduce myself Raj. My name is Max and i live in eastern PA.
So there is a slight vibration but not much, that seems like a fair trade off for the performance gains. My question is how the RSB flywheel is different than the factory unit, other than the material? I would be interested to hear your thoughts.
Old 09-02-2007, 12:32 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Since you ask. I will post 3 pictures, the 1st one is the one of my flywheel which you have already seen.

I will leave for you to decide which one of the two below is of which flywheel.

Wanna give it a try?? I will give you a hint, one of them is fidanza.
Just calling something a Motorsports flywheel doesn't make it one .
Raj
Old 09-02-2007, 12:39 PM
968workaholic
Pro

I have seen all three of the flywheels that you are refering to in person. The Fidanza flywheel is machined out on the back side (the side that cannot be seen when installed in the car) hence the lighter weight. However the RSB unit is not machined out on the back side, keeping the same weight as the origional motorsport piece that you have installed on your car. Also, it sounds like you have a bit more vibration than the RSB unit, I have only experienced slight vibrations with the RSB unit from 2000-2200 rpms.

Quick Reply: What do you have planned for this weekend