Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

What do you have planned for this weekend

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 12:59 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

How did you figure I have more vibrations? I just posted earlier that I found minor vibrations. Not sure how you come to that conclusion. In either case, thanks for letting us know you actually have the RSB unit. Not sure why you held on to that information until now.
I would love to meet up, drive your car and have you drive mine and we can see for ourselves which flywheel has more or less vibrations.
Regards.
Raj

Last edited by RajDatta; 09-02-2007 at 01:12 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-02-2007, 01:00 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 968workaholic
However the RSB unit is not machined out on the back side, keeping the same weight as the origional motorsport piece that you have installed on your car.
Not true, I have seen posts of the copy being 1/2 lb heavier. I did plenty of research since I was interested in this mod and my only choice was the 9M unit until I actually was able to buy the real deal.
Raj
Old 09-02-2007, 02:01 PM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Thom
I plan to fit a sticker in place of the front panel Porsche emblem
Done - it looks even better than the original emblem IMO. It's less likely to get stolen too.

Old 09-02-2007, 02:08 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Thom, are you serious? They steal the Porsche hood emblem in France?
Raj
Old 09-02-2007, 02:23 PM
PorscheG96
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yesterday I swapped 993 seats, 968 door panels, 968 CS steering wheel, car stereos, and washed my 944. Too bad Parts Heaven was closed for the 3 day weekend so I won't be able to buy some odds and ends I need for the 968! Today I'll be touching up the rock chips on front bumper, cleaning ICV, and waxing paint...

I'm gonna miss the 944 when it's sold.
Old 09-02-2007, 02:29 PM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Raj,
Not only the Porsche emblem, emblems from "luxury German cars" in general - BMW, Mercedes, Audis.
Nothing to do with WW2, it's just that German cars are still regarded as the "best"/pricy ones and leave a lot of stupid people envious.
It doesn't happen much on older cars likes ours though but mostly on recent ones that are instantly recognisable by Joe Public and left parked in the streets.
I definitely enjoy passing by and leave people wonder what my car is.
Old 09-02-2007, 02:34 PM
968workaholic
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Raj, let me rephrase my post. It seems that you are experiencing vibrations over a larger RPM range, not necessairly more intense vibrations. Even if the RSB unit is a mere 1/2 lb heavier, than might explain the difference in RPM's where the vibration is present. Also, I do not have the RSB Flywheel but have driven different cars with them installed, hence my knowledge of where the vibrations are apparent. I was only comparing what I have experienced with what you had posted. Sorry for any misinterpretation.
Old 09-02-2007, 03:28 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Thom
Raj,
Not only the Porsche emblem, emblems from "luxury German cars" in general - BMW, Mercedes, Audis.
Nothing to do with WW2, it's just that German cars are still regarded as the "best"/pricy ones and leave a lot of stupid people envious.
It doesn't happen much on older cars likes ours though but mostly on recent ones that are instantly recognisable by Joe Public and left parked in the streets.
I definitely enjoy passing by and leave people wonder what my car is.
Yeah, your car is in excellent condition. The front of S2/944 turbo's is timeless. Just gorgeous.
Raj
Old 09-02-2007, 03:31 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Raj, let me rephrase my post. It seems that you are experiencing vibrations over a larger RPM range, not necessairly more intense vibrations. Even if the RSB unit is a mere 1/2 lb heavier, than might explain the difference in RPM's where the vibration is present. Also, I do not have the RSB Flywheel but have driven different cars with them installed, hence my knowledge of where the vibrations are apparent. I was only comparing what I have experienced with what you had posted. Sorry for any misinterpretation.
A MERE 1/2 lb, are you kidding me? We are talking about balance and harmonics here, grams can make the difference, why would engine builders spend countless hrs balancing cranks when they use light weight materials if a MERE 1/2 lb was no big deal.
Porsche had the option to build it at any weight, the fact they picked a certain exact weight is not a coincidence, just like the counterweights on a crank.
Raj
Old 09-02-2007, 05:29 PM
968workaholic
Pro

In reference to balacning, 1/2 a pound is a lot. But the engines in these cars are internally balanced. If they weren't then there would be an issue with changing over to any other flywheel over stock. Having said that, the 1/2 pound in the flywheel would not make a difference. Porsche designed the weight of the flywheel for two reasons. If it was any lighter then it wouldn't have enough mass to keep the crankshaft rotating when the motor isn't on a power stroke, and then the engine would stall. Also, if they made it any heavier then there would not have been as much of an improvemnet over stock. So it was made at that weight for driveability and performance. If you know anybody that has the super lightweight Fidanza flywheel im sure they can tell you that the motor has to be reved high to get the car moving. Also, that the motor stalls if the clutch is depressed at a rpm higher than 3000, because the idle control motor cannot react quick enough to keep the motor running.
Old 09-02-2007, 06:32 PM
Renalicious
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My vibrations happen between 2K and 2.5K or there abouts. Then again, the shop didn't balance my flywheel and clutch before they put them in either doh . But when I had my dual mass I actually had vibrations (no noise) at 3K, which is no longer there. However, one of the guys with a Fidanza said that even with his perfectly balanced flywheel / clutch setup he gets noise and vibrations too, at around the same range. And yes, the RSB flywheel looks like a fidanza flywheel, not like the original Porsche flywheel. But it works just as well I'd imaging: more urgency to get going, and probably smoothed out the power curve a bit from what I can tell. Before there was a noticeable lul before the intake kicked in at 4.5K, now it's far more constant.

As for 1/2 of a pound difference between the original unit versus the RSB unit, I don't know. For a car that weighs in at 3000lbs, and 4 huge pistons with a lot of piston shock, would an extra 1/2lb really make a large difference if both flywheels were properly balanced? To me it seems like using heavier oil, or using the AC could create just as much extra resistance during spin up as 1/2lb at the fly wheel. But I'm not an engineer, so I'm just guessing
Old 09-02-2007, 07:37 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

I have a SMF and harmonic damper, but with solid engine mounts, it vibrates at all rpms
Old 09-03-2007, 02:15 AM
968workaholic
Pro

Yea i can imagine. I am surprised that the teeth haven't vibrated out of your head. It could be worse though, you could have a solid trans mount. Just the thought makes me cringe. I am curious as to what brand flywheel you have, not that it makes a difference. Also if you have a 944 S2 motor in your 968 or just the 944 harmonic balancer/a 944 S2.

Last edited by 968workaholic; 09-03-2007 at 02:27 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-03-2007, 11:13 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Yea i can imagine. I am surprised that the teeth haven't vibrated out of your head. It could be worse though, you could have a solid trans mount. Just the thought makes me cringe. I am curious as to what brand flywheel you have, not that it makes a difference. Also if you have a 944 S2 motor in your 968 or just the 944 harmonic balancer/a 944 S2.
I'm running a stock 944S2 flywheel and the harmonic damper; the engine is all 968. Plus, I live in Alabama, what makes you think I have teeth?

Last edited by Lemming; 09-03-2007 at 11:40 AM.
Old 09-03-2007, 11:39 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Dyno results from Saturday with new muffler. I wanted to get rid of the very large and heavy Dynomax that Pete suggests to compliment his stage II chip and header so bought a 5" supertrapp. First two runs were done with no discs or end caps so that we could get the fuel/air ratio correct (can't put a sniffer in the tailpipe with the discs and endcap on). Open muffler with 12.7 ratio, I pulled a 220. Next run was with 9 discs added, which killed the HP and really didn't move the HP or TQ curves as predicted (something like 209 HP). So, I added 3 more discs (12 - all that I had) and pulled a 218. More discs would likely put me back up to 220, but I can live with the sound level at 12, I don't want it louder. Plus, for time trials I have a listed HP of 220 and that means that I can't come off the track weighing less that 2570 with me in the car.

Will get my dyno runs up tomorrow when I get to work and can pull them up in my Dynojet program.

Quick Reply: What do you have planned for this weekend