Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

9m 968 supercharger conversion - 360, 430 or 480hp....

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 07:39 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts
Default 9m 968 supercharger conversion - 360, 430 or 480hp....

Not content to rest on our laurels with the standard 360hp 9m supercharger conversion, after a customers new supercharger unit arrived at our workshop with the wrong pulley fitted, to get the job out of the door (and with the custmer's blessing) we fitted the correct blower from our own car to ensure that the engine ran as the expected 7psi boost. Once the customers job was finished we were left with our debilitated 968, so it would have been simply rude not to fit the new blower with its smaller pulley and see what happens when you run a stock engine at 11psi of boost.

A few weeks later we had fitted larger injectors and further remapped the ecu, but the first pulls on the dyno managed to melt the cat and highlighted a durability problem with the stock 6 rib belt drive. Decatting the exhaust was a no-brainer, remaking the crank, alternator and supercharger pulleys to run an 8 rib belt took a few weeks longer, but the result was a further 50hp over the basic 9m supercharger conversion. After 18 months track testing this package we were comfortable to offer this kit as a secondary upgrade provided that the customer accepts total responsibility for the engine.

The latest stage of our development came about when we had the opportunity to rework a customer's previously supercharged 968CS with the supercharger from the 9m kit. The original conversion used a pro-charger unit, our customer eventually adding Motec engine management and reducing the compression ratio of his engine in an attempt to get the engine running satiusfactorily. In the end an unexpected supercharger failure combined with our experience of Motec brought him to 9m to have our supercharger fitted and the new package remapped. The car already benefitted from a set of headers and a cat free exhaust, so tje only extras required were a set of 750cc injectors, a high capacity fuel pump and the 9m 8 rib pulley set. Running the superharger with the smallest pulley available resulted in 1.1bar boost at 6500rpm, and once the Motec had been dialed in the result was an astonishing 480hp and 400lbft, the power exactly double that of a standard car.

Makes you wonder why you would bother with the hassle of fitting a turbocharger.....
Attached Images  
Old 05-14-2007, 07:51 PM
SpeedBump
Happily Amused
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice work Colin, good to see you on the board again.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:01 PM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

WOW!
Old 05-15-2007, 09:23 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Colin,

Supercharging my Frankencar has always been in the back of my mind. My concerns are reliability at the track and how well it will perform in the high heat and humidity of the southern US. I'm specifically interested in hearing about the 360 HP conversion.
Old 05-15-2007, 09:27 AM
nick_968
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks nice Colin.

Once you reduce the compression ratio, use different headers, injectors and fit Motec its not that different to a turbo conversion though. With the turbo you get better midrange power, albeit in a trade off for some lag which you don't have with a supercharger of course. Nice to see you are still developing the 968, just a shame more people are not taking up these fantastic power upgrades for such a great car. If I had to start all over again I may well have chose the SC route, but I never seem to take the easy road!

I am still to refine my Motec M400 that I have fitted to my 968 turbo. If I can't get it how I want it I may give you a call as I havent had much luck with the dyno I used first time round. Before I go back to another dyno I will need to make up a custom intercooler as the 951 IC in the front lower location is not cutting it as well as blocking off the air flow to the rad leading to less than ideal cooling. Apart from that, just chasing down a couple of leaks in the exhaust system and its more or less where I want it.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:29 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by nick_968
Looks nice Colin.

Once you reduce the compression ratio, use different headers, injectors and fit Motec its not that different to a turbo conversion though. With the turbo you get better midrange power.
Bingo and Monster torque!
Also, there is no limitations to turbo charging as far as boost level goes. As long as you have your fuel maps covered, you won't be limited by pulley size to the max boost you can run.
Raj
Old 05-15-2007, 11:38 AM
grants_968
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemming
Colin,

... My concerns are reliability at the track and how well it will perform in the high heat and humidity of the southern US. ...
While I have not had my 968 turbo on a track, I do regularly drive on I-75 in Florida's heat and humidity. So far, no problems. My cooling system was significantly upgraded as part of the turbo modification.

Grant
Old 05-15-2007, 11:51 AM
Richard C
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Colin:

Very nice work indeed.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:39 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

There are now eight 9m supercharged 968's on the road and one other track car that started the ball rolling with the very first SFR kit, we budgeted the development at 10 kits to break-even point so as far as 9m is concerned (assuming that we will sell 2 more kits!) the project is a success.

I take yours (and Raj's) point with respect to the turbo conversion being not far off the 9m low comp package, but keep in mind that you do not need to fit an unobtainble 2.7 cylinder head and old 944 turbo manifold parts on our conversion, so even though the engine work and management changes are similar (Motec was the customer's choice, we could have retained Motronic) the cost is lower with the SC engine. As for useable torque, my view (based on a good few years of racing) is that I would rather drive the progressive SC torque curve in real road conditions than have to deal with the typical mid range torque spike of a typical high hp turbo engine. It is a fact that the 968 chassis suffers in comparison to the rear engined 911 with its ability to put the torque down to the road, but in any case I am sure that 400lbft would be enough to keep most folk entertained!

If you are having trouble with Motec mapping you should bring it up here as I have yet to work on a car mapped elsewhere that did not benefit from a bit of 9m fine tuning - in fact the 480hp car as arrived made just 400hp on the exisiting map. With respect to the intercooler, you could always consider the 9m SC intercooler/rad assembly which drops straight in from above the engine bay on the standard mountings, no intake temp problems have been encountered to date at up to 480hp and on some pretty hot track days. The price of the combined unit would be £1500 +VAT.

Originally Posted by nick_968
Looks nice Colin.

Once you reduce the compression ratio, use different headers, injectors and fit Motec its not that different to a turbo conversion though. With the turbo you get better midrange power, albeit in a trade off for some lag which you don't have with a supercharger of course. Nice to see you are still developing the 968, just a shame more people are not taking up these fantastic power upgrades for such a great car. If I had to start all over again I may well have chose the SC route, but I never seem to take the easy road!

I am still to refine my Motec M400 that I have fitted to my 968 turbo. If I can't get it how I want it I may give you a call as I havent had much luck with the dyno I used first time round. Before I go back to another dyno I will need to make up a custom intercooler as the 951 IC in the front lower location is not cutting it as well as blocking off the air flow to the rad leading to less than ideal cooling. Apart from that, just chasing down a couple of leaks in the exhaust system and its more or less where I want it.
Attached Images  
Old 05-15-2007, 01:17 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Colin, Looks nice.
BTW, I sent you an email, did you ever get it?
thanks.
Raj
Old 05-15-2007, 01:38 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Raj, email received and reply sent regarding the 9m motorsport solid flywheel, thanks for asking.
Old 05-15-2007, 01:58 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Very impressive, but I'm not surprised after reading all the positive 911 reviews of your other products.
Old 05-16-2007, 04:26 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Colin, the flywheel looks beautiful and is an exact copy of the Motorsports flywheel. Good to see someone take the time to build a true replica.
Raj
Old 05-16-2007, 08:18 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Here are the photos of our Porsche Motorsport replica solid flywheel which is a direct replacement fit for the factory dual mass unit, running the stock clutch. This is the prototype with welded on ring gear and trigger ring, on the production units we now shrink fit the rings on. The flywheels are supplied fully balanced ready to fit.
Attached Images   
Old 05-17-2007, 09:51 AM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It's almost like jewelry for the car. Any vibration issues if I decide to switch over?

Quick Reply: 9m 968 supercharger conversion - 360, 430 or 480hp....