Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Got my first 968 - IT"S CRASHED !

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 02:56 AM
StyleLab
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice deal, I have a wiper motor from an S2 by the way if you are interested. Not sure how much it is worth though... PM me if interested
Old 03-04-2007, 08:18 AM
stolarzj
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Cervi
Thanks guys,
Yea, i think i got a good deal too, although the car needs new front shocks, power steering pump, rear wiper motor and a headlight. Also it has a few dings here and there, not too big of a deal. It has 123,xxx miles, the engine sounds and pulls strong, shifts smoothly (I do, but she lets it into gear very easy). I'm still searching for the damn wiper motor and steering pump, can't seem to find them anywhere...
You can get the steering pump here, Paragon Steering Pump. What makes you think the steering pump is bad? It's usually something other then the pump, such as the hoses, or rack.
Old 03-04-2007, 01:53 PM
Cervi
Intermediate

Originally Posted by stolarzj
You can get the steering pump here, Paragon Steering Pump. What makes you think the steering pump is bad? It's usually something other then the pump, such as the hoses, or rack.
That is a good question, but I assume the steering pump it's on its way out because although it does not make any noise, the steering wheel it's a little hard to maneuver, it leaks from the cap and somewhere underneath (not hose/clamp). I may be wrong, I don't have the car yet, i will pick her up sometimes next week and take it straight to my mechanic.
Thanks
Old 03-04-2007, 02:27 PM
Darryl92Cab
Instructor

Cervi,

Welcome to 968 ownership. Look like you got a great car for the price...lookup Pete at RSBarn who is very close to you. He is a great resource and knows these cars very well. Paragon, Pelican, Sunset are all good parts places and keep in mind that most parts from late model 944 are used on the 968 too.

Mine had a power steering leak when I picked it up and it only turned out to be the clamp on the underneath, but it had leaked long enough and bad enough to pop the sway bar bushing on the passenger side. Plan on doing both of those as that's fairly easy and inexpensive.

There are quite a few of us in the mid-atlantic area, so hopefully we'll get to see your car in person!

Another good forum for 968 specific traffic is 968forums.com. Lots of info to search through.

- Darryl
Old 03-04-2007, 04:42 PM
stolarzj
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Cervi
That is a good question, but I assume the steering pump it's on its way out because although it does not make any noise, the steering wheel it's a little hard to maneuver, it leaks from the cap and somewhere underneath (not hose/clamp). I may be wrong, I don't have the car yet, i will pick her up sometimes next week and take it straight to my mechanic.
Thanks
If the cap is leaking then the gasket is probably gone, you can replace the entire reservoir, when you buy a new one a new cap comes with it. A filter is built into the reservoir, so you might as well replace it. If any records came with it, check for a steering rack replacement at any point in it's life. They are a weaker point in the system then the pump. Once thing to check is if you have a lack of power assist on just one direction, that will definetly be the rack. Also when you get under it if you see leaking from any of the ends of the rack, then it's time for replacement. Fortunatley it is such a common replacment rebuilt ones can be found for decent money.

By the way, don't use power steering fluid to refill or top off the system, that is a killer of the system. It requires ATF..
Old 03-04-2007, 07:01 PM
Cervi
Intermediate

^^thanks for the input, i'll make sure i'll remember that
Old 03-05-2007, 09:34 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Welcome to 968 ownership. Car looks amazing. For parts, usually Sunset Porsches has the best prices but for some parts you are better off going to independents like Paragon Products.
If you need a good assessment on your purchase or need any service, I would strongly recommend Wil DiGiovanni at Precision Motorsports Racing. He is Porsche trained tech, extremely knowledgeable, has worked on these cars for yrs if not decades and is by far the most honest mechanic you will ever come across.
We have some get togethers once in a while, so try to join us sometime. We also have had some wrenching parties recently if you want to learn a bit and get your hands dirty while saving a few $$$.
Good luck!
Regards.
Raj
Old 03-05-2007, 01:43 PM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Raj is right about parts. Sunset is usually the best in terms of price - often a significant discount. Also nice that it is a Porsche dealership so they can see PCNA's national and German inventory. On the phone they are very knowlegable. They are not, however, a great source if you need the parts fast in my experience. If they have to order the part it ships to them in OR and then to you - this can be several weeks.

Nice car and great price! Welcome to the Planet968!
Old 03-05-2007, 02:32 PM
sasilverbullet
Rennlist Member

Received 792 Likes on 416 Posts

Welcome to the 968 world!!! There is another big community of 968 owners over on www.968forums.com.

On your wiper motor - you probably don't need to replace it - just take it apart and super glue the stupid little shaft that comes loose and it'll work fine!

Happy Porscheing
Old 03-05-2007, 03:18 PM
Stephenwz968
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm very close to you if you want to get together-we could even look at your ps leak. Welcome to the club!!!

Steve
Old 03-05-2007, 10:45 PM
Cervi
Intermediate

Oh man, I wasn't expecting so many welcomes in such a short period of time ! Awesome, thanks !

968TurboS, i'll make sure i'll get in touch with DiGiovanni in case i need info i can't get around here, and also i'd love to participate to those 'get dirty and save $$$' wrenching parties.

rpm's S2, Sunset sounds like a good place to order, i'll give it a look, thanks !

sasilverbullet, i'll check 968forums.com; super gluing the shaft won't do anything, the motor is blown.

Stephenwz968, we sure can meet, i'll pm you after i bring the car home and fix some little things.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:47 AM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

If you want a replacement motor try dC Auto - largest Porsche dismantler on the planet. 2x70,000 square foot warehouses! Really know 944/968 and 928.

They have the full parts catalog (known at the PET) for each model online and linked to their inventory. If you call they will walk the warehouse and describe the condition a specific part to you. Good guys who are huge Porsche enthusiasts.

dC Automotive
Old 03-06-2007, 11:27 AM
renvagn
Burning Brakes

Cervi...congrats & good luck and you should look up Pete at RS Barn who knows more about these cars than probably anyone else in your area..
I agree with your recommendation for Pete's and Will's. They are both the most knowledgable and honest guys in the biz. Pete has worked on a west coast firehawk most of February and has a another one coming in from Canada this week. Will is also terrific and has worked on my car, but round trip travel time is 4 hours for me and probably 5-6 from Phil. I wouldn't waste time and money taking the car anywhere else. Sunset is great for OEM parts and miscellaneous items can be obtained from Vertex, Lindsey and other Rennlist sponsors. However, I can't stress the importance enough of talking to Will and Pete before you make any upgrade moves to save yourself time, money and less than optimal performance. Enjoy
Old 03-07-2007, 02:08 PM
Cervi
Intermediate

Am I unlucky or what ?? Like I said before, I made a deposit on the car and was waiting for the guy to receive the title form the bank so I can pay the rest and pick up the car. Well, stupid guy takes the car to "pick up something" and and decides to ram an 18 wheeler. Right fender and pass door are pushed in. Now, he said that it's up to me...I can back out and he gives me the deposit back OR he will have the car fixed at one of the body shops in his area (I would say not a good idea, would be a crappy job since he know he's selling the car) OR I can go to my mechanic and have an estimate to fix the damage and deduct that form the buying price. Last choice wouldn't be such a bad one, it's more of a psychological one...I would KNOW I have a car that has been into an accident. What should I do ?? I need opinions !!

Last edited by Cervi; 03-07-2007 at 02:31 PM.
Old 03-07-2007, 02:24 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I would say walk away. This could be a blessing in disguise. Usually accidents with 18 wheelers do some serious damage. Yeah, you were getting a killer deal but to me peace of mind is worth a lot. Knowing that the car has been in an accident with an 18 wheeler would never sit well with me. I am sure another nice one will come along, maybe not this cheap but atleast it won't have a this cloud over its head.
In the meantime, you are welcome to ask questions and get to know your next car as much as possible.
Raj

Quick Reply: Got my first 968 - IT"S CRASHED !