Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Got my first 968 - IT"S CRASHED !

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 09:25 AM
BADBERRY68
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like my car "imperfect", that makes me not afraid to drive it hard and take some chances. How many other Porsche owners can do that .
Old 03-09-2007, 06:05 PM
Cervi
Intermediate

This situation is driving me crazy...still waiting for a quote on his side and compare it to mine.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:01 PM
Cervi
Intermediate

Any of you can tell me how does that famous pinion failure sound like ? Or...even more important, where is the sound more prominent ??? The cobalt blue I'm about to buy has a weird sound coming form the shifter area...it's actually the shifter that is making that sound, but it's more like a resonance of something that is happening along the shifting rod. Can somebody help me out here ?
Old 03-14-2007, 09:09 PM
flash968
Banned

like a 727 in the back seat
Old 03-14-2007, 09:14 PM
Cervi
Intermediate

Originally Posted by flash968
like a 727 in the back seat
...I can just close my eyes and feel it...

Anyone else ?
Old 03-14-2007, 09:23 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Cervi, you will hear a metallic whine from the rear of the car, like a bearing running without oil. The sound increases as you go faster so make sure you take it on the highway.
Raj
Old 03-14-2007, 09:27 PM
Cervi
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
Cervi, you will hear a metallic whine from the rear of the car, like a bearing running without oil. The sound increases as you go faster so make sure you take it on the highway.
Raj
Raj,

Thanks a lot for the info, whatever I'm getting form the shifter does sound like a bearing running dry, but again, it does NOT come from the back of the car. It must be something else then...something I have no clue what the heck is
Old 03-14-2007, 09:31 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Cervi, Its comon for the sound to make it to the front from the torque tube. Since the drive shaft is within the torque tube, sounds carry over. You could also have torque tube bearings going south which can be a PITA.
As they say, if its too good to be true, sometimes it is.
Raj
Old 03-15-2007, 01:59 AM
Renalicious
Intermediate

I can hear a subtle whine when I've been pushing the car hard at medium / high speeds. Otherwise it's usually 1st gear noises when starting off. Had my gear oil replaced, but you can still kind of hear it when pushed. Hasn't gotten louder in the year I've had the car either.
Old 03-16-2007, 12:35 AM
Rhudeboye
Track Day

WOW, minus the seats the car has aged well.

IMO Porsche delivers a true sports car look/feel. I like Beamers, but I even a 550 wouldn’t satisfy me. Whereas the 68 looks and plays the part.

Of course these comments reflect the M6, or GTR
Old 03-16-2007, 11:38 PM
Rhudeboye
Track Day

I wasnt being a jerk w/ my previous post. I read through the 1st page and just hit reply. Didnt get to the part about the accident. Thats too bad. Theres already very few of these cars out there.
Old 03-21-2007, 11:15 PM
aben8057
Drifting

sounds like some issues with it..maybe the accident was a sign which helped in saving you $$$
Old 03-22-2007, 08:57 PM
Cervi
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RS Barn
Cervi,
Change Avitar and your luck may change.
If you want to drive a car with bad pinion bearing ---stop on by to hear /drive car with interesting noises. I have two in stock.
Pete
Hi Pete,
I called RS Barn today, spoke with someone, can't remember the name, but I left my phone number hoping you'd call back. Whenever you have time, no rush.
The car currently sits in my mechanic's garage, already ordered suspension (Konis & Hyperco), some seals and bushings, but overall the car is in an amazing shape. Maybe in a few weeks i'll stop by and have it checked by you for that ring and pinion.
By the way, how can the rear suspension (height) be adjusted ? I understand that it is adjustable, or am i wrong ?
One more thing, i'm planing on doing a transmission flush, can anyone recommend me a top quality trans. fluid ? TIA
Old 03-24-2007, 01:48 PM
Cervi
Intermediate

Thanks guys so far for all the info, it was really helpful. Pete, as soon as I have my car out of the shop i'll stop by.

If anyone can explain me how can the rear suspension be adjusted (lowered in my case, I have konis on the way), I would highly appreciate.

Oh, I'm also looking for the clear turn signal lenses, couldn't find them anywhere.
Old 03-24-2007, 03:17 PM
whakiewes
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cervi,

True clear turn signals are very hard to come by. I looked for forever for my 968 and could never find them.

You have two options for adjusting the rear. I am unsure which Koni's you are talking about, but I am going to presume you bought Koni sport shocks and are keeping the torsion bars. If this is the case then you can adjust two ways. First is to reindex the torsion bars. This requires removing a lot, like the rear control arms, brake lines, etc... You have about 1.5"'s of adjustment by reindexing - alot about 6-8hrs for a first time, maybe more depending on your tools etc... The other option gives you 1/2" or so of movement. There are three nuts on the spring plate that hold the control arm to the torsion bar. These are what control your alignment in the back. They also allow the car to move about 1/2". There are tons of instructions at www.clarksgarage.com .

Wes

Quick Reply: Got my first 968 - IT"S CRASHED !