The Rennlist 968 site vs others

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2005, 11:11 AM
H2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Unhappy The Rennlist 968 site vs others

I've pretty well gone to http://www.968forums.com/ and http://65.61.16.109/forum/default.asp (968.net) because of the inactivity on this site. Ironically, the 928 Rennlist is awesome....as are the 944 sites. Even the Pelican site provides more 968 info. I like Rennlist but if not many people use the 968 site, then it's not a lot of utility to me. Just a concern.

Harvey
Old 06-08-2005, 12:03 PM
Jason Judd
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't leave, Harvey...

Use them all, just a 'click' away, that's all.

Jason
Old 06-08-2005, 04:41 PM
ckathens
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I generally agree with you but.... don't let the powers that be see your post...
Old 06-08-2005, 04:43 PM
BruceWard
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Harvey,

I use the Rennlist 968 forum to ask technical questions where I am looking for the correct answer.

Both 968.net 968forums.com tend to be more for social communications.

968.net has a great group of guys and even a girl.

968forums.com has some neat features but a very limited set of opinions. 968forums.com also distributes copyrighted documentation which I would not want to be involved in.
Old 06-08-2005, 04:58 PM
H2
Addict
Rennlist Member

I've not had much luck with technical questions on the Rennlist 968 group but great luck with the 928 and 944 groups. I find it confusing because I really like Rennlist and the format a lot. I have a serious technical question that I just posted on the other sites but didn't put it here. Perhaps I should.

Harvey
Old 06-08-2005, 06:34 PM
SANDOVAL
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I frequent all three sites through out the day. Along with a few other forums. Each has their own qualities. Bruce you are a member of my site and have download files off the site so please do not be hypocritical. The site has been growing consistently and the participation is very active. There is no reason to knock any of the sites, just be thankful their are people out there willing to give back to the community by providing such a great outlet.
Old 06-08-2005, 06:48 PM
mitch968
8th Gear

I agree that each of the 968 sites has its strong points and we should be clamoring for more resources for these cars instead of less. Having said that, I do find it troublesome to post a question to multiple sites and then handle multiple diverging discussions. It would be really nice to have it centralized. There aren't that many 968's out there and it's even more difficult to find information when it's spread across multiple systems.

It's unfortunate that 968.net has not been actively maintained, as there really is a wealth of information in there. If Ray has no interest in maintaining it, it would be nice if there was some deal brokered to get the data migrated to a more modern robust system.

Just my opinion....not knocking any of the sites, as I greatly appreciate them all.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:12 PM
H2
Addict
Rennlist Member

As a new 968 owner, I can't get enough 968 information. I don't care where I get it but I do find myself gravitating to the more responsive, more informative, and more user-friendly sites. I suspect others may be doing the same. Perhaps some find one site that meets their particular needs and don't surf very much. However, solid 968 info is harder to come by than for other models. I suppose that a single great site would be better than a half-dozen mediocre sites. I appreciate them all...but especially those dedicated to the 968. I'm getting tired of sifting through all the 944 posts to find info about the 968 but sometimes I have to in order to get an answer to a question. Perhaps the problem is that there simply aren't enough 968 owners. On the other hand, I own an Audi TT and the favored TT site is so busy with so many posts that I've given up even going there any more..it's overwhelming...and the TT owners that frequent that site seem to mostly be young poeple talking about ricer-type add-ons and not repairs, etc. that interest me.

When I have a technical problem (and as a new owner I have an abundant share of questions) I initially posted to one site...but with no response I posted the same message to another site..then another looking for answers. This is both troublesome for me and for the readers to see the same request in multiple areas but I want to make sure that I get the answers I need and a diversity of opinions is great. Already, I'm getting the feeling that because I posted at two sites simultaneously, there may be a reluctance by some to respond, thinking that someone at the other site will respond. It'll all shake out in the end I'm sure. In the meantime, there may be some subtle competition.

Harvey
Old 06-09-2005, 02:18 AM
Jacks911
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Harvey,

I can somewhat agree with you about the limited 968 info. But - we must realize there just aren't that many of us ... 968ers! When I had my 964 I loved the wealth of info on those cars - from around the World. One of the guys even published a book. But 968's are to few - and I did not even know about this Rennlist board for many months because I did not scroll down beyond "924/944/968". Maybe some folks have the same trouble and we should ask to have "968" taken out of that list? Only trouble is there are commonalities in 944 and 968 we need to know about. I must say I have had many good responses to my 968 tech questions in this list - in fact better answers than the PCA Tech Board. I for one still love Rennlist and appreciate all the other sites as well.
Old 06-09-2005, 09:36 AM
H2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Good Point, Seattle Jack,

I'm too used to there being a lot of information available on the 928..and many of the owners have become wrenches (often involuntarily) so are quite knowledgeable. I find the technical information invaluable...but on the 968 there aren't that many who've been there...done that or are tired of answering mundane questions by newbees. I posted a few more questions to this group to see if I get a response to help with a no-start problem I have. I was not impressed by the PCA tech board and dropped my membership. If you want to see a lively and extremely useful site, visit the Rennlist 928 site. I owe the health of my 928 to that site. I bought the 968 because it reminds me a lot of the 928, but has better handling....and hopefully less maintenance.

Harvey
Resume Speed, Idaho
Old 06-09-2005, 11:13 AM
sasilverbullet
Rennlist Member

Received 790 Likes on 414 Posts

Hughett - I feel you're pain! I just got thru reading all your other posts about the technical problems you're having. Sorry I don't have the knowledge to help. I know a lot about these cars, but when you have a 'no-start' situation, that throws me because there is SO much that it can be.

My gut-feeling is that the computer has gone south. I've seen them cause some WEIRD problems. See if you can find another one to swap it with...that's what I'd be doing, swapping everything I can get my hands on!
Old 06-09-2005, 12:18 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I think one of the biggest problems is that most 968 owners are not DIY guys. You could count on your hands the amount of people that get down and dirty and work on their cars. Maybe its the higher cost of buying the car, that attracts this crowd. I think evetually, these cars will dwindle down to people that can't afford to pay the high labor rates and will want to tackle almost everything themselves.
Also, these cars are relatively new compared to the 944's. Give them time, they will break down and people will have writeups. The bigger problems for these car's are well documented already (pinion bearing, variocam, dmf).
As far as websites go, I visit both rennlist and 968.net. At times I don't reply to posts when I see them being posted at 3 different sites. I think people need to wait at times to get a response.
Just my opinion.
Raj
Old 06-09-2005, 12:26 PM
H2
Addict
Rennlist Member

That's part of my problem. I"ve swapped about everything there is witn new parts, even swapped the DME controller with one I bought as a backup.

I'm not bald yet...but will be soon at this rate.

Harvey
Old 06-09-2005, 12:33 PM
luckett
Three Wheelin'

968.net used to be great a couple of years ago until it turned into a contest to see who could post the most replies...I got tired of wading thru it. Most of the questions have been answered before, so use the archives before posting a question!!

rennlist 968 is not active, so I don't really read it often. The 944/951/968 forum has gone downhill also (from around teh time craig started posting, remember him?), but at least it still offers good techinical advice if your post hangs around long enough for people to see it. If it's 968 specific, make sure you put 968 in the title. That always draws my attention.

No offense intended, but many of your posts show that you have not really tried to answer the question yourself before posting. Many of your questions are readily answered taking your own time to read the shop manuals rather than having someone do it for you. In the past 2 days, you've posted 15 threads on this one problem just in rennlist....

Last edited by luckett; 06-09-2005 at 12:50 PM.
Old 06-09-2005, 12:34 PM
sasilverbullet
Rennlist Member

Received 790 Likes on 414 Posts

I just checked 968forums, you need to check the thread over there. Someone suggested you check to make sure the DME is getting power, bet the alarm is not sending 12v to the DME...

Quick Reply: The Rennlist 968 site vs others