Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

The Rennlist 968 site vs others

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2005, 02:55 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Rennlist has John D to keep everyone on the up and up, he'll spank anyone who talks too much or too loud.
Old 06-09-2005, 04:21 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Also, John has never shown any favoritism towards any members. There is biased moderation on other sites which will eventually catch up to people.
Raj
Old 06-09-2005, 04:27 PM
SANDOVAL
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Raj... I think Dave and Duckman are doing a great job moderating 968forums, the few times a moderator has stepped into a thread. How can you comment on there being biased moderation unless you are lurking The few cases of moderation were directed at Flash not sure how that is being biased?

John D. has built a great community he and I have exchanged emails over the years. He has also complimented me on my efforts which were very flattering.
Old 06-09-2005, 05:06 PM
spieln
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Harvey,

I am one of those that works on my 968 but (knock on wood) that is one area that I have not had to deal with yet. I can not help but think that you shorted something out when you were unhooking things to change your belts. Did you have your battery disconected when you removed the wires from the starter? Did you accidentally make any electrical contact with any wires when you were doing the work?

About the only electrical that you should have come into contact with is the starter but let us know if you unhooked anything else.

For me to cure any of my electrical problems, I have had to get a copy of the electrical schematics and then check out the wiring using a continuity tester.
Old 06-09-2005, 05:41 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SANDOVAL
Raj... I think Dave and Duckman are doing a great job moderating 968forums, the few times a moderator has stepped into a thread. How can you comment on there being biased moderation unless you are lurking The few cases of moderation were directed at Flash not sure how that is being biased?

John D. has built a great community he and I have exchanged emails over the years. He has also complimented me on my efforts which were very flattering.
Eric, it was something that was brought to my attention. I have a hard enough time keeping up with 2 webforums, so I don't lurk anywhere else.
The bias was not a knock towards you by any means. I have always said, people will and should go where ever they please. I just didn't like the arm twisting approach taken by some of the west coast guys. I am glad it has calmed down lately. It doesn't help anyone.
Raj
Old 06-09-2005, 06:05 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

I'm biased as to which site I prefer, but I would hope that we have the tech expertise here on this site to get you through pretty much anything you will run into, and we can back it up through personal experience. I have nothing against the other sites and drop in on them occasionally, but I am a Rennlister first and foremost.

As to your specific problem, Harvey, I will try and follow up with your threads on Monday and will see f I can help you out. Sorry, but I have been SWAMPED lately. I saw a few posts about your problem, and am thinking the alarm sounds like a possibility as well, but I haven't bypassed one on a 968 so I can't confirm the proper pins.

Regards,
Old 06-09-2005, 06:38 PM
H2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Chris,

I apologize if my posts asking for 968 technical information/tips are irritating and I can see why. I have a lot of questions. I've probably spent 30 hours reading through old posts and manuals and doing on-line searches but haven't yet found and tried anything that has resolved my particular no-start problem. I suspect that a more experienced person would not have as much trouble. You're seeing the posts of a desperate person who cannot read electrical schematics. Desparate enough to pay $100 to anyone willing to help me think through this and [provide the "magic bullet tip" tip to help me get it running. I'm learning as I go. Also, I'm used to posting on the Rennlist 928 site and have always found an extremely accommodating group, many of whom obviously are accomplished mechanics and don't mind sharing their experiences or helping out. But like Raj says, the 968 owners may not be as much DIY as the 928 guys...yet. Like anyone else, if I perceive that if my inquiries are an irritation to a list, or there's no perceived value, then I'll go elsewhere. I find the original factory manuals to be a bit confusing to follow sometimes in that they assume that you know a lot already. Apparently this was never an issue with you. I work 70-80 hour workweeks and if someone out there has done something before and doesn't mind sharing their experience to save me some time, I really appreciate it. At some point, perhaps I'll know as much as you and be able to share 968 tips with others. The camraderie of other owners is a large part of the fun of owning one of these cars. If the 968ers are as fun as the 928ers, it'll be a good experience.

Harvey

"No offense intended, but many of your posts show that you have not really tried to answer the question yourself before posting. Many of your questions are readily answered taking your own time to read the shop manuals rather than having someone do it for you. In the past 2 days, you've posted 15 threads on this one problem just in rennlist...." Chris
Old 06-09-2005, 06:43 PM
H2
Addict
Rennlist Member

From the information that I've gathered from you accommodating guys, a good part of my Saturday will be checking the alarm, DME power, and trying a work around to get the fault codes to blink out. Thanks to all for your help. It is really appreciated.

Harvey
Old 06-09-2005, 06:55 PM
brett968
Racer

Received 172 Likes on 101 Posts

Harvey,

I would highly suggest that you test the things I suggested in the other forums first. I think trying to get the fault codes to blink out at this point by changing bulbs, etc. is not the best approach. I suggested to look for the check engine light when the ignition key was in the ON position as an indication of whether the DME was getting power. It seems it is not and the likelihood that the check engine light bulb is out as well is not very high. Best bet is pin 27 is not being driven high with the ignition key as it should. Check this and pin 18 and report back.

Brett
Old 06-09-2005, 09:11 PM
luckett
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Hughett
Chris,

I apologize if my posts asking for 968 technical information/tips are irritating and I can see why. I have a lot of questions. I've probably spent 30 hours reading through old posts and manuals and doing on-line searches but haven't yet found and tried anything that has resolved my particular no-start problem. I suspect that a more experienced person would not have as much trouble. You're seeing the posts of a desperate person who cannot read electrical schematics. Desparate enough to pay $100 to anyone willing to help me think through this and [provide the "magic bullet tip" tip to help me get it running. I'm learning as I go. Also, I'm used to posting on the Rennlist 928 site and have always found an extremely accommodating group, many of whom obviously are accomplished mechanics and don't mind sharing their experiences or helping out. But like Raj says, the 968 owners may not be as much DIY as the 928 guys...yet. Like anyone else, if I perceive that if my inquiries are an irritation to a list, or there's no perceived value, then I'll go elsewhere. I find the original factory manuals to be a bit confusing to follow sometimes in that they assume that you know a lot already. Apparently this was never an issue with you. I work 70-80 hour workweeks and if someone out there has done something before and doesn't mind sharing their experience to save me some time, I really appreciate it. At some point, perhaps I'll know as much as you and be able to share 968 tips with others. The camraderie of other owners is a large part of the fun of owning one of these cars. If the 968ers are as fun as the 928ers, it'll be a good experience.

Harvey
Harvey,

Your posts are not at all irritating. It just seems that you are a bit disorganized in addressing the problem and taking stabs at trying to pin it down. You have so many posts in so many different places, it's difficult to determine where you are in tracking the problem. And nobody wants to spend the time and effort to answer a question that has already been answered on another forum. It's always easier to help someone in your situation if it is known what has been checked and what needs to be checked. I came across your posts midway thru and there were just so many posts and questions, I really didn't know what the actual problem was!

A sitting with the wiring diagram would go a long way in helping you figure this out. It may seem daunting, but if you have the acumen to do the work you have already done, you should find that you can readily learn it. Once you get an understanding of them, they are not difficult to read and you will be able to see all the circuits and everything on them. Then it becomes a process of elimination. Electrical problems are always the worst headache to track down and a methodical approach usually works best.

I don't think 968 owners are less of a DIY group. There are just so few of them, relative to some of the other cars out there that there is less forum activity.

Can you summarize your problem and actions taken? I'll see if I can help "translate" the wiring schematics. I unfortunately have too much time on my hands....
Old 06-09-2005, 10:09 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by chris luckett
I unfortunately have too much time on my hands....
You lucky dog! Can I borrow some?

Regards,
Old 06-09-2005, 10:32 PM
flash968
Banned

as a whole, i would have to agree that 968 owners aren't likely to be as DIY as 928 owners - lots of reasons for that, including but not limited to: availability of cars, price of cars, same for parts

the market dictates aftermarket design and there isn't a big demand for 968 stuff

the limited number of cars also dictates the number of repairs that have had to be done and how common they are, which generates awareness and communication amongst owners

on a progressive note, the socal 968 guys are very DIY oriented - many new parts are being designed as a direct result of the work going on out here - one by one we are attacking each and every repair too - when we are done, a DIY article is written so that others can benefit from the work

as for the "site wars", the only issues have been with .net - nobody has ever said anything about this site - if demand dictates it, john may incorporate a categorization of threads here, like the other sites have, which would make it more navigable and therefore more useable for research, but as it stands, it serves the users well enough on a question by question basis, and he has quite enough on his hands with the rest of the marques - our little corner of the world really doesn't hit his radar until somebody starts whining

we all would have loved to have seen .net get up to speed and keep up with the times and technology - unfortunately ray does not seem to be interested - hence the new site

each site serves different users in different ways - time will determine who uses which one and why
Old 06-10-2005, 12:51 PM
H2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Brett,

Last night I worked on the various replies to my posts and your suggestions are in the top for me to try out on Saturday. SoCal, Greiman, Raj, Sandoval, Scott, Damian, Chris, Flash and a few other knowledgeable (and compassionate) 968'ers are giving this puzzle some serious thought too. Someone will point me the right way at some point. I will say that I hate posting in several locations...but at the same time, I'm finding that each site has different advocates who are quite good but don't always post on the other sites....so multiple postings are almost encouraged in order to get to the larger group of informed people who have BTDT. I know that it's a two-edged sword but it seems that long, detailed posts are often glossed over so I tried various smaller posts dealing with various different questions that I have that are related to the larger problem. Many of those are not responded to, perhaps as being redundant. So, I'm just trying to find the right medium. At this point, I'm taking all the previous posts, poring over them, comparing to tests I've already made, and planning my next steps to figure out what's wrong. I hope to post less and to look the manuals over more closely. I looked over the wiring diagrams last night and they print out on several pages and rather than looking like Chinese, they're more like Portuguese to me now. I guess that's progress. They do show a couple of grounding points that I missed.

In any case, the most valuable information I've received to date are suggestions on where to look for information and what to look for. Those who posted specific pins/connections to check for power are invaluable and not something I was able to glean from the wiring schematics in hand. The post on how to calibrate and set my sensor was really helpful, although that wasn't the problem it seemed to be....but I can change that thing out blindfolded now if I have to.

Right now, ask me about 928s and I can help you. Ask me about 968s and I'll have to tell you that I'm still in school on them. Thanks, again to all. Hope I can meet you all at a Track Attack or gathering someday...in my 968. Beautiful car.

Harvey
Old 07-01-2005, 06:50 AM
d993
Racer

Harvey,
I'm parting out 5 968's, just in case you need anything..............
Old 07-04-2005, 05:59 AM
Moook
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Harvey
Have you tried

www.968uk.com

Its a UK site but its FULL of info.....

Scroll down the left hand side + youl find the link to the forum...
Hope it helps.????

Quick Reply: The Rennlist 968 site vs others