Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2005, 01:44 PM
ckathens
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default And another one bites the dust..... :(

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...=184552&page=2

Check about halfway down the page.

So anyone looking for parts, I think Partsheaven with have a 968 cab soon......
Old 02-07-2005, 01:52 PM
flash968
Banned

ouch - who was that? are they ok? how did it happen?
Old 02-07-2005, 03:15 PM
EEZATOY
Advanced

Steve,

Ouch!! Man are you sure your OK? Katrina wasn't with you?
I'm sorry hear/see about your car - that sucks - what happen?

Sam
Old 02-07-2005, 03:59 PM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow! Steve, what happened? Looks like your car took a roll! Are you alright?

Let me know if there's anything I can do to help -- like dealing with insurance companies (I recently went through a total), assessing what might be salvagable, etc, etc. I'm still half in NoCal, half in SoCal and half rest of US.
Old 02-07-2005, 04:09 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ouch, ouch, ouch.
Old 02-07-2005, 04:48 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Glad its the car and not you. Cars are replaceable. Get well soon and good luck on a fast recovery.
Raj
Old 02-07-2005, 09:54 PM
Stephenwz968
Three Wheelin'

Glad to hear you're ok! Sorry about the car, looks like one heck of a ride!

Steve
Old 02-07-2005, 10:28 PM
Miles968
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I share your pain, but glad you are ok
Old 02-08-2005, 12:11 AM
ckathens
Drifting

Thanks for the messages guys.

I was with a big group of 993's (tons of TT's and THREE 996 GT3's!) driving along what i THINK is highway 25 towards Big Sur yesterday. I was going around a corner (not very fast, I might add) and cut it a little too close. My right rear tire hit gravel and started spinning while the left rear tire kept on accelerating through the curve. This led to my back end swinging out and some overcompensation in steering by me... Which led me to cross the center line, into a fence, over an embankment and flip once. I ended up on the wheels though. I think I need to attend a DE event....

Thankfully no injures to myself and no passengers who could have been hurt. But as you can see from the pics the 968 is definately totalled.

Katrina has put a 1 year moratorium on new toys but i'll be back soon enough, hopefully with another 968 or a 964/993. In the meantime, I guess i have a lot more time to work on my 944 project/track car and concentrate on finishing up law school.
Old 02-08-2005, 12:29 AM
ckathens
Drifting

Joe, when your '92 was totalled, how were you able to keep/salvage parts? I thought the insurance company just took the whole thing since they essentially "pay" you for the wreckage when they pay out on the claim..

I took out my rootwood shifter which i had JUST put in the day before and put it with my "personal effects" so at least I salvaged that. I guess that's my one memento from my 5 months of ownership.
Old 02-08-2005, 05:49 AM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA

Originally Posted by ckathens
Joe, when your '92 was totalled, how were you able to keep/salvage parts? I thought the insurance company just took the whole thing since they essentially "pay" you for the wreckage when they pay out on the claim..

I took out my rootwood shifter which i had JUST put in the day before and put it with my "personal effects" so at least I salvaged that. I guess that's my one memento from my 5 months of ownership.
Oh man, oh man.... glad that noone was hurt!

Well, when my car was totaled, the first thing that happened was for the insurance claims adjuster to figure out how much the car was worth -- at that time, I presented them with the sales receipt for the initial purchase of the car, and all maintenance items (I had recent clutch, brakes, etc, etc...). The company did some market analysis, but pretty much ended up giving me the purchase price of my car, maintenance work done, plus tax, pro-rated dmv fees, minus only a little bit -- I was fortunate.

The second thing that happened was the claims adjuster gets a quote from a salvager -- quote I got was for $6000. If they buy the car, they would auction it off. However, because the car is yours, you have the right to buy the car at the quote from the salvager. In my case, I figured that the value of engine/tranny was already worth more than $6000, so it made sense to buy it back. The main drawback is how do you repair or part out or find another buyer -- major pain no matter which road you take and may not be worth your while.
Old 02-08-2005, 08:28 AM
Stephenwz968
Three Wheelin'

ckathens,

I sent you a pm.

Steve
Old 02-08-2005, 09:52 AM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Steve, Tom R. on the main 944 Board had some great ideas for dealing with insurance companies about loss-his 944 was stolen, and they initially lowballed him. It may be worth searching for that thread, as Tom really worked them hard for a good settlement.
Old 02-08-2005, 10:58 AM
ckathens
Drifting

Thanks for the comments on the insurance co guys. I'll wait until I get the insurance adjuster's quote and if it's lower than I want, I'll start throwing things at him (like the rarity of 968's, the stock 17" Cup II's, the rootwood shifter, 10 speaker sound system, etc..) If need be i'll find some "finished" auctions on eBay and some ads from the local newspapers.

As for buying and parting out..... I have to get permission from the GF to do that which I'm guessing I won't get since we have a 2 car garage and my 944 project is already taking up one of those spots. We'll see though.
Old 02-08-2005, 12:17 PM
vicente
Advanced

Hi!

Sorry for your loss.

If you are not satisfied with the insurance valuation and decide to sell the car for more money, I´m interested.

Please, keep me updated.

Thank you,

-Vince

Quick Reply: And another one bites the dust..... :(