Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

DIYers, please be careful when working on your cars!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2004, 11:05 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Default DIYers, please be careful when working on your cars!

I just recieved a dreaded email from one of our member friends this morning. Stephenwz968(Steve), who owns a blk/blk cab and lives 5 mins from my house sent me an email about his mishap yesterday.
While he was trying to turn the eccentrics in the back to lower his car, his jackstands gave up and the rear rotor/control arm landed on his hand. The brake rotor broke a bone in his arm and he has some tissue damage.
Guys please be very careful. I guess we should thank God as it could have been much worse. Please try to use decent jacks and a flat surface. Also, it helps if you jack the front and the back to stabilize the car instead of just doing one side.
I am really bummed out as Stephen was over my house last friday and we were retensioning his balance shaft belt. He spent a good 4 hrs detailing my car while I helped him with his stuff.
I was the one who told him how to reduce the rear ride height so I feel really guilty. My prayers are with him and I will be visiting him to see how he is doing.
Regards.
Raj
Old 08-17-2004, 11:52 AM
flash968
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this brings back very disturbing memories of dropping a transmission out of our tow van and while i was getting ready and in position, my buddy got ahead of me and slid it backwards - it dropped down and onto my hand, severing my retractor tendons - several hours of surgery with some experimantal artificial tendons, and i have use of it, albeit slightly limited in 2 fingers

i was incredibly lucky

be very careful - check twice, take extra precautions - the little time spent is worth everything
Old 08-17-2004, 04:08 PM
Graham CS
Instructor

Please pass on all our sympathies.

Hope he gets better soon.

Graham
Old 08-17-2004, 04:14 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Just poke to him a few mins ago. He is doing well and getting a cast on this afternoon. What really hurts is the fact he is a teacher and school starts in 3 weeks. He hurt is right hand and he is right handed. Also, he details cars as a side income which will not be happening anytime soon.
I will forward your sympathies.
Raj
Old 08-17-2004, 04:21 PM
flash968
Banned

send my sympathies - i also hurt my right hand and am right handed - i was drawing as a mechanical designer at the time - i totally understand the issues - tell him not to rush the healing - i did, and now i have issues with my hand that will be with me forever
Old 08-17-2004, 05:37 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

Raj, don't dwell on it, as its not your fault. My sympathies go out to Steve, its just one of those things that can unfortunately go wrong when you work on cars. Out of curiousity, was it a cheap jack stand? I get a queasy feeling when I look at the lack of quality that some of the budget jack stands have.

If you want to do something about, how about joining me in suggesting to John D that we get an admin post at the top of each car specific forum that talks about the proper jacking points for that model along with a safety FAQ?

Regards,
Old 08-17-2004, 05:42 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Sure Scott, I am totally up for that. Yes, the jackstands were subpar and very light quality. Also, what really hurt the situation was the fact that the car was only up on the rear, which made the slide very easy.
Raj
Old 08-17-2004, 06:10 PM
BruceWard
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I also think that is a very good idea.

Let me know how I can help.
Old 08-17-2004, 06:20 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

Help me write up a safety/jacking FAQ that we can send to John D for the 924/944/968 cars. I know there is a picture floating around that shows the underside of a 944 with the jacking points very clearly marked. Can we find that?

Regards,
Old 08-17-2004, 06:28 PM
NeedPorscheSpeed
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sh944
Help me write up a safety/jacking FAQ that we can send to John D for the 924/944/968 cars. I know there is a picture floating around that shows the underside of a 944 with the jacking points very clearly marked. Can we find that?
Yes, please do that! As a beginning wrencher who will soon begin using jack stands (only ramps so far), I would be greatly appreciative of such a FAQ.

Raj, I'm so sorry about your friend Steve. It is defiinitely not your fault, however, so don't feel guilty. Just do as you said and support him as he recovers. Please give him my regards.
Old 08-19-2004, 08:38 AM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by sh944

Regards,
Rennlister Rich Sandor has that pic.
If you guys get this written up I'll stick on the top of the main 944 forum. I'm sure John will put it in the other forums.

Raj I sincerely hope your friend is ok.
Old 08-19-2004, 11:07 AM
Blue S2
Race Car

Hey i think this is a great idea! Fast recovery to your friend!!! I am ALWAYS very uneasy when i have to lift my cars. Being a musician, hands and arms are kinda crucial when intact. I think a FAQ would be awesome, and i really think a group buy for GOOD jackstands would be awesome. I also think maybe a good floorjack would be nice to offer in a group buy. I know personally i never seem to trust stock floor jacks.
Old 08-19-2004, 11:52 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Tony, stock floorjacks are a big no no. Don't even dare use them to do anything. They are just for emergency use only. You couldn't give me enough money to go under the car if you are using the factory jack.
he is in good spirits and doing much better. He also teaches guitar lessons and details cars [] on the side.
Raj
Old 08-19-2004, 01:33 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

Ok, well then my only trouble has been with my GTi. The new VWs use this weirdo floor jack. Its kind of like a thin " U " that slips over a flat panel that sticks down. It attaches and jacks from there. With the standard floor jack, like somethat that works on a 944, it doesnt really work? (or maybe i just havent seen how) The only stuff ive been doing is changing wheels and a little cleaning. When working with my friend on his car he brings his own jackstands over. Anyone have any good recomendations for a floor jack (and stands!)?

Quick Reply: DIYers, please be careful when working on your cars!