968 Forum 1992-1995

Help with Wiring for PCCM in a 968

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2022, 12:19 PM
mferris
Rennlist Member

Received 234 Likes on 138 Posts
Default Help with Wiring for PCCM in a 968

Hi All - I'm correcting a botched stereo install by the previous owner and replacing with a PCCM.

I've figured out the speaker wiring (proud papa pics attached), but need help with the Power/Acc/other wires in the stock radio harness.

Specific questions (see pic)

1) There are two brown/blue wires entering the harness and one end - what are those? Do I use those with the PCCM?
2) Does the 12v constant power (red in picture) go to the ACC+ pin on the PCCM? It would seem logical.
3) My (any>) 968 did not have a power antenna - why is there a red/black power antenna wire?
4) The standalone plug with Red and Brown wires I presume is for a non-existent amp in my 6-speaker system, given the tape on the end seems stock, is this correct?
5) When did I get old-man fingers?

There is another non-harnessed wire or 2 in the cubby which I am *hopeful* is related to and Airbag error that I don't seem to be able to clear with my Durametric - but I'll get to that once I figure out the above.

From another thread here (thanks @bbain ) I have the following and have confirmed everything except the power antenna - which I don't know why it exists.
- Power from ignition = green.
- 12 volt constant power (for head unit memory when car is off) = red
- Ground = brown (2 wires tied together)
- Power antenna = red/black

Thanks in advance
-Mike

Old 11-21-2022, 01:22 PM
Zirconocene
Rennlist Member

Received 757 Likes on 537 Posts

Do you have a copy of the WSM for your car? The copy I was able to find has the wiring diagrams; would that help you in this case, or do you think that what looks like added parts is complicating things?

Cheers
Old 11-21-2022, 02:21 PM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 144 Posts

You would have the electric antenna to turn the remote amp on. You can download a partial WSM here, it has the wiring diagrams.

http://audipages.com/968/manual/
Old 11-21-2022, 08:38 PM
mferris
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Paul Waterloo
You would have the electric antenna to turn the remote amp on. You can download a partial WSM here, it has the wiring diagrams.

http://audipages.com/968/manual/
thanks for the pointers. The antenna switch for the remote amp makes sense. Now trying to decode the wiring diagrams.

Old 11-22-2022, 01:29 PM
Zirconocene
Rennlist Member

Received 757 Likes on 537 Posts

This might help with decoding the wiring diagrams: http://www.928-electrics.com/wiring%...%20primers.htm

Cheers
Old 11-23-2022, 05:49 AM
mferris
Rennlist Member

Greatly helpful. Managed to get the PCCM up and functional (although on initial boot up the screen is scrambled - but I do not believe that is the car wiring).
Old 11-23-2022, 06:38 AM
Yogii
Rennlist Member

Received 186 Likes on 151 Posts

Love the look of the Hertz speakers. Do you fit right in, or do you need to do some cutting? Are they expensive?

-Yogii
AKA 968 Novice
Old 11-24-2022, 01:03 AM
mferris
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Yogii
Love the look of the Hertz speakers. Do you fit right in, or do you need to do some cutting? Are they expensive?

-Yogii
AKA 968 Novice
The Hertz speakers (2 mid range, 2 tweeters) and crossover ran around $500 for the set. Everything fit into the door, but then I noticed that the door grill/pocket touches the foam part of the speaker (not the cone) so I will have to do something as it does affect sound and I do not want to dramatically change the interior look of the car. I definitely need to add a subwoofer in the car.

Old 11-24-2022, 01:24 PM
Yogii
Rennlist Member

Received 186 Likes on 151 Posts

Will the 45 watts of the Classic Porsche Radio be enough to drive them?

-Yogii
Old 11-24-2022, 08:04 PM
mferris
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Yogii
Will the 45 watts of the Classic Porsche Radio be enough to drive them?

-Yogii
I' m not a expert at all - but the PCCM and speakers played my late 80's/early 90's loud enough for me today as I drove around in unseasonable weather. Again - there is insufficient bass - but I don't know if this is from the installation or just a subwoofer that I'm now looking to install. At higher volumes there may be some clipping - so I may figure out how to add another amp when I do the subwoofer. Regardless, my car which came with rat nest of unterminated wires where the faceplate was and the original speakers - now works fine.

Quick Reply: Help with Wiring for PCCM in a 968