968 Forum 1992-1995

1993 968 - Rehabilitation and ClubSport-ification

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2021, 05:26 AM
Yogii
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by JimmyB
Still waiting for steering hoses so no progress Monday or Tuesday. BUT these arrived today, which I’m excited about:

Please remember that I am a novice. What are those parts?

-Yogii
AKA 968 Novice
Old 11-18-2021, 06:02 PM
JimmyB
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Those are combo driving lights / brake cooling ducts, Yogii. Here’s what they’ll look like. Not sure how effective they are, esp on the passenger side where the PS cooler prevents any kind of ducting. But I kinda like the look - certainly better than the unfinished hole where my car’s lights aren’t. Cheaper than replacing the lights, too. It’ll be a while before I get them painted and installed, but it’s nice to have some eye candy to look forward to once I’m done with the current phase of timing-and-steering work.

More exciting stuff in the mail today … hoses, bushings, assorted other bits. Plus some reading material that I had a friend in the UK send me.

The following 3 users liked this post by JimmyB:
dbonds (11-21-2021), dlearl476 (11-18-2021), jsheiry (11-19-2021)
Old 11-25-2021, 12:51 PM
J1NX3D
Three Wheelin'

Received 117 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay Wellwood
Take a close look at the reservoir. If it doesn't leak, you should consider retaining it. Those clear top units are not common...
Can the clear top be retrofitted to a new bottom piece? Can the clear top be 3d printed?
Old 11-29-2021, 03:04 PM
dlearl476
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by J1NX3D
Can the clear top be retrofitted to a new bottom piece? Can the clear top be 3d printed?
No. the new ones are one piece. No idea on the 3d printing.

AFAIK, the issue is the glue breaking down between the top and bottom. I bought a new one when I worked on my PS last summer, but my original was fine so I cleaned the filter and re-used it.
Old 11-30-2021, 11:15 AM
Zirconocene
Rennlist Member

Received 778 Likes on 549 Posts

Really nice work, your car is going to be great.

One of the things that I don't think I read in your plans is fuel hoses. The ones I can see in the picture look to be original and are probably not in an ideal state. OEM replacements are available, as are aftermarket options (like Lindsey Racing's), if you don't mind that route.

Keep up the good work, this is a great thread.

Cheers
The following users liked this post:
JimmyB (12-02-2021)
Old 12-01-2021, 06:58 PM
JimmyB
Rennlist Member

Thanks - there's a long road ahead so the encouragement is much appreciated! One of the fuel hoses has a dealership / parts dept sticker on it, suggesting it's a replacement, but I have no idea how old they are. So I ordered the shiny ones from Lindsey - appreciate the pointer

Haven't got much done on the car for a while, we headed up to New Hampshire for a week over Thanksgiving. But today I snuck outside for an hour and got the balance belt properly tensioned (I think) and set the idle roller, and bolted the crank pulley back together. I'm hoping on Friday I can remove the flywheel lock, get the starter back in, and put the timing covers back on. Maybe even get started reinstalling the steering, although there's never enough hours in the day
jsheiry (12-01-2021)
Old 12-11-2021, 04:54 PM
JimmyB
Rennlist Member

A quick update ... I hadn't made much progress due to work, Thanksgiving travel etc but got a few hours in today.

I'd hoped to get the new steering rack in, but the "OEM" high pressure hose I bought doesn't fit. The curvature of the squiggly metal part that attaches to the rack is nowhere near that of the original part, so the hose doesn't get anywhere close to the clamp that's supposed to hold it in place. So back it goes to FCP Euro (who are always good about returns), and I've mail-ordered the correct part from a dealership.

Steering-wise, though, I did get all the other lines and hoses installed, plus the pump and reservoir. And instead of installing the rack I took out the flywheel lock and put the starter back in, rotated the engine to check all was good with the belts, and then put the timing covers back on. Also drained / filled the oil, changed the oil filter, put the (new) spark plugs in and fitted the Lindsey Racing fuel hoses. So all in all a pretty productive day.

Once again I'm waiting for parts, but all going well I should be on the road (to the alignment shop) soon.

Obligatory pic - new fuel hoses at the top, and shiny steering pump just visible at the bottom:

The following 2 users liked this post by JimmyB:
jsheiry (12-12-2021), royalschwarz (12-12-2021)
Old 12-12-2021, 11:13 AM
JimmyB
Rennlist Member

No work on the car today … instead I got up at 5.30 to drive to the middle of PA to collect these …

Set of Cup 1 replicas for $50? Yes please. These will look great

Last edited by JimmyB; 12-22-2021 at 11:52 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by JimmyB:
Jay Wellwood (12-13-2021), jsheiry (12-13-2021)
Old 12-12-2021, 03:02 PM
Zirconocene
Rennlist Member

Make sure you buy a lottery ticket, too, that's a great find.

Cheers
JimmyB (12-13-2021)
Old 12-12-2021, 05:22 PM
Yogii
Rennlist Member

Great deal! It even looks like the tires may have some life left on them.

Any idea what the date codes are on them?

Thanks,

-Yogii
AKA 968 Novice
JimmyB (12-13-2021)
Old 12-12-2021, 08:29 PM
JimmyB
Rennlist Member

@Zirconocene they were just around the corner from you, in Bethlehem - found them on PCA Mart.

@Yogii the date codes are 2000, if I'm interpreting them correctly. The seller said they're at least ten years old; they were his winter set for his Boxster.

The wheels aren't perfect - a few scuffs here and there - but tbh that just means they'll fit with the generally-slightly-shabby aesthetic of my 968 At some point I'll sell the 18" Carrera 2's that came on the car, but probably keep the pair of Cup 2 rears that were in the trunk and maybe find a front pair to go with them.
Old 12-13-2021, 07:54 AM
jsheiry
Rennlist Member

Received 217 Likes on 141 Posts

@Zirconocene they were just around the corner from you, in Bethlehem - found them on PCA Mart.

@Yogii the date codes are 2000, if I'm interpreting them correctly. The seller said they're at least ten years old; they were his winter set for his Boxster.

The wheels aren't perfect - a few scuffs here and there - but tbh that just means they'll fit with the generally-slightly-shabby aesthetic of my 968 At some point I'll sell the 18" Carrera 2's that came on the car, but probably keep the pair of Cup 2 rears that were in the trunk and maybe find a front pair to go with them.
You could have driven 10 miles south and I just pulled off a set of original Cup 1 wheels from a cab Im parting out.... 968 fitment 7.5" fronts and 9" rears. But at $50 you cant go wrong! These would have set you back a little more! Even though the car only has 36,000 miles they are a little rough and I will probably hand off to get refinished.
JimmyB (12-13-2021)
Old 12-13-2021, 10:29 AM
Yogii
Rennlist Member

Well 2000 date coded tires should not pass go and go straight to the landfill.
-Yogii
PS where in DC? I grew up in Bethesda.
Old 12-14-2021, 04:24 PM
Gage
Rennlist Member

Received 365 Likes on 296 Posts

Wow, I'm alarmed by the look of the Lindsey fuel hoses . Seems there are 3 or 4 times the number of fittings and leak potential.
Is that teflon tape visible on the coupling fittings?
Old 12-14-2021, 06:44 PM
Zirconocene
Rennlist Member

The Lindsey hoses are a bit of a bodge because of the hardline connections that run to the tank. Those are male globeseal ends and there is no source for an adapter that will take that to an AN type directly. BAT has some adapters, and Lindsey says they make their own, but it's a challenge. That said, they work pretty well and, on my car, have remained leak free.

Cheers
JimmyB (12-14-2021)

Quick Reply: 1993 968 - Rehabilitation and ClubSport-ification