Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

1993 968 - Rehabilitation and ClubSport-ification

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2021, 08:36 AM
jsheiry
Rennlist Member

Received 213 Likes on 138 Posts

A guy named Devon Lyons makes fuel lines for all transaxle Porsches and I bought a set for my sons 968 and they seemed to have a manageable amount of adapters. His work is very nice. sirgolten@yahoo.com The silver pieces are slide over heat shields.

The following users liked this post:
J1NX3D (01-14-2022)
Old 12-15-2021, 09:36 AM
Gage
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 290 Posts

Porsche still supplies the correct hoses, for a reasonable cost, without adapters and with thermal protection included as part of the assembly.
Install what you like on your car but there is not a good reason to use a "bodge" that "work pretty well" or "have a manageable amount of adapters" when it comes to high pressure fuel hoses located directly above exhaust manifolds.
Old 12-15-2021, 10:09 AM
Zirconocene
Rennlist Member

Received 757 Likes on 537 Posts

@Gage : I understand the sentiment but so far as I know, the Porsche OEM offering is still based on the older technology. To its credit, those lines and that technology has lasted for a few decades but, if you want to go to more modern, PTFE lined hoses, there is currently no Porsche OEM alternative for these cars.

Cheers
Old 12-15-2021, 10:14 PM
Gage
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 290 Posts

I'm curious how you know what the fuel hoses from Lindsey are made from.?? BTW they do recommend installing a thermal sleeve when using their hoses.

The Porsche hoses have a polyamide (hard plastic) liner, it is an older but not outdated technology. Of further interest is that the integral sleeve of the Porsche hose assemblies not only work as a thermal barrier but also as a conduit to collect and carry raw fuel, in the event of core leakage, away from the exhaust manifolds.

Old 12-16-2021, 07:26 AM
Zirconocene
Rennlist Member

Received 757 Likes on 537 Posts

@Gage : You're right, I just went to the Lindsey page and they don't talk about what the hoses are made of. I was sure I read it there but...

It may have gotten in my head because the hoses feel just like the ones that I made myself, for my 928. That might not mean anything, and I've not worked with new polyamide hoses, so those might move and flex the same as the PTFE hoses I've worked with, which is what the Lindsey hoses "feel" like. I didn't look into the hoses, which I installed on my S2 but that would really tell the story.

Anyway, good call, lots of dot connecting on my part that might be unmoored from reality.

Cheers
Old 12-19-2021, 08:29 AM
JimmyB
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Productive day yesterday. I got the steering rack, hoses etc all installed … lots off learnings for next time - take the pump off to install the high pressure hose; tighten the banjo bolts on the rack before raising it into position, that sort of thing. But it’s in, and I have steering again. Also got the sway bar back on with its new bushings. The car even has front wheels now - definitely feels like I’m getting to the end of this chunk of work.

Just the steering and accessory belts to install, then the fans and airbox, and I can start driving it and figuring out what else needs fixing 🤣

No pictures, alas, because rain stopped play. Next time …
Old 12-21-2021, 06:33 PM
JimmyB
Rennlist Member

Woohoo! I can, I think, declare phase 1 of this project complete. Got the belts etc fitted today, and the fans (sheesh, that was fiddly!). I can also confirm the engine runs, so I didn't break anything in the course of the past few weeks Got the car down off of the jackstands, which felt pretty momentous ... now off for an alignment and new rubber as soon as they can fit me in.

Pic of rack, hoses, pump, sway bar bushings etc just because:

Old 12-21-2021, 07:26 PM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Received 121 Likes on 89 Posts

JimmyB (12-21-2021)
Old 12-21-2021, 09:50 PM
JimmyB
Rennlist Member

@thomasmryan thanks, I’ll fix that
Old 12-22-2021, 08:11 AM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Received 121 Likes on 89 Posts

Looks good under there))

you might pick up the toe tool and make a centering bolt for the rack before you head to the alignment shop. (the sweet spot on my cab was -1.3* on the rear and -0.4* on the front.)
The following 2 users liked this post by thomasmryan:
JimmyB (12-22-2021), Yogii (12-22-2021)
Old 12-22-2021, 11:54 AM
JimmyB
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Yogii
Well 2000 date coded tires should not pass go and go straight to the landfill.
-Yogii
PS where in DC? I grew up in Bethesda.
Missed this - I'm on Capitol Hill. Came here a decade ago from the UK. Drop by if you're ever back in the area visiting!

Old 12-22-2021, 12:13 PM
JimmyB
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by thomasmryan
Looks good under there))

you might pick up the toe tool and make a centering bolt for the rack before you head to the alignment shop. (the sweet spot on my cab was -1.3* on the rear and -0.4* on the front.)
Have a centering bolt already - came in very handy during the install. Didn't know about the toe tool though, thanks for that.

Alignment might have to wait a bit, my preferred place - only a few blocks from me, and they do excellent work - is backed up for the holidays. But I'd prefer to wait and get it done properly than take it somewhere random. There's enough to keep me busy in the meantime
Old 01-02-2022, 09:25 PM
JimmyB
Rennlist Member

Happy New Year, all ... decided to do a couple of 'fun' things on the car these past few days, so I installed the Retrosound speakers I'd bought a while ago. They seem to fit well, with a little gentle persuasion. No sound yet, though - the car came with a JVC head unit that wasn't connected, which I pulled out today to reveal a rats' nest of wires that will take some time to figure out. So I threw on the DIN cover I'd bought last month, the Porsche part is NLA but this one looks good enough for my pseudo-CS. I have a bluetooth amp that will hide behind it once I've figured the wiring out. And I need to get a full-width tray to replace the tray-and-clock.

Also broke out the vacuum and gave it a thorough clean inside, the carpets aren't in fantastic shape but they'll do for now. Refitted the front passenger seat (after fixing the fore-aft adjuster) and added a pair of red logo Lloyd mats, and it's starting to feel like a car again. Oh, and an added bonus: My driver's door lock now operates with the key as it should. It had been stiff to the point of worrying that I was going to break the key, so I'd been treating it with graphite powder, which seems to have done the trick. Pleased about that, I wasn't looking forward to dismantling the whole lock mechanism.

Last edited by JimmyB; 01-03-2022 at 01:33 PM.
J1NX3D (01-02-2022)
Old 01-03-2022, 07:56 PM
JimmyB
Rennlist Member

Finally got the new tires and alignment done today. Couldn’t resist a little drive, even though we’d had 8” of snow this morning …

The following 2 users liked this post by JimmyB:
J1NX3D (01-14-2022), Ufnavy06 (01-03-2022)
Old 01-04-2022, 08:39 AM
Yogii
Rennlist Member

Received 186 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by thomasmryan

I was wondering about that too.

-Yogii

PS Nice color! Where do you find shop space on Capitol Hill?

Last edited by Yogii; 01-04-2022 at 08:41 AM.

Quick Reply: 1993 968 - Rehabilitation and ClubSport-ification