968 Forum 1992-1995

1993 968 - Rehabilitation and ClubSport-ification

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2021, 07:11 AM
Yogii
Rennlist Member

Received 186 Likes on 151 Posts

JimmyB,

I would love to know if the door sreaker really do fit and just drop in. All I have heard about replacement door speakers is you need to cut the tweeter and then reglue it, not for me.

-Yogii
AKA 968 Novice
Old 11-03-2021, 10:41 AM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Yogii
JimmyB,

I would love to know if the door sreaker really do fit and just drop in. All I have heard about replacement door speakers is you need to cut the tweeter and then reglue it, not for me.

-Yogii
AKA 968 Novice
Yogii,

Since my Matador project is more of a driver I did a modern speaker upgrade and it went pretty well with only two minor adjustments and no body cutting at all.

I have the standard 6 speaker setup. I went with the Kicker 4x6 and 5 1/4". They went in pretty well. I had a small wiring change on the 5 1/4"s and the 4"x6"s required a trim to the speaker extension mounting plate.

They sound "okay". Nothing like my modern cars.

My favorite upgrade was adding Bluetooth to the CR1. That is fantastic.

If you need more info message me.

Jeff
Old 11-03-2021, 02:21 PM
Tom Pultz
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 98 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by JimmyB
I promised myself that I'd save frivolous and / or cosmetic purchases until I'd got the car sorted mechanically. But these arrived in the mail today ... they've been on backorder for a while, and I've read that they fit the shallow door panel openings perfectly:
I have a new set of these too, and they don't fit if you intend to use the stock mounting oval cut-out spacers and covers, which is what I wanted to do. The depth seems fine and the speakers look nice, but the metal "bowl" on the rear is too large for the speaker to sit flush down in the plastic spacer. Maybe if you use them without the Porsche spacer and use the included covers shown they might work. If that's the case and someone wants mine I'm happy to let them go as I bought new Porsche speakers... which probably have inferior sound quality but they do fit correctly.
Old 11-03-2021, 03:38 PM
JimmyB
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Hmm, that would be vexatious - I’d read elsewhere that they’re a drop-in replacement. I guess I’ll trial-fit them this weekend and see if they work.

In other news the interior was only slightly damp in a couple of places after a day of rain yesterday, which is a vast improvement. And I just got back from the inspection station, passed emissions with flying colours So I can register the car properly and get off the 45-day temp tags, which in turn means I can now take it off the road for a bit while I dive into the oily bits.

Last edited by JimmyB; 11-08-2021 at 11:19 PM.
The following users liked this post:
dlearl476 (11-03-2021)
Old 11-03-2021, 08:40 PM
Yogii
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jeff968
Yogii,

Since my Matador project is more of a driver I did a modern speaker upgrade and it went pretty well with only two minor adjustments and no body cutting at all.

I have the standard 6 speaker setup. I went with the Kicker 4x6 and 5 1/4". They went in pretty well. I had a small wiring change on the 5 1/4"s and the 4"x6"s required a trim to the speaker extension mounting plate.

They sound "okay". Nothing like my modern cars.

My favorite upgrade was adding Bluetooth to the CR1. That is fantastic.

If you need more info message me.

Jeff
Jeff,

I'm thinking of biting the bullet and getting the Classic Porsche Radio. Would like new speakers to go with it.
I assume, maybe wrongly, that there are better speakers out there than the OEM ones still available, that just drop in. Have not found them yet though...

-Yogii
Old 11-04-2021, 12:58 PM
Tom Pultz
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 98 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Yogii
Jeff,

I'm thinking of biting the bullet and getting the Classic Porsche Radio. Would like new speakers to go with it.
I assume, maybe wrongly, that there are better speakers out there than the OEM ones still available, that just drop in. Have not found them yet though...

-Yogii
Probably just terminology but the Porsche Classic Radio Navigation System (911-645-291-00) has been replaced by the Porsche Classic Communication Management (PCCM) System (911-645-591-00). I have one of the Classic Radio systems I bought several years ago but have not installed it yet as I haven't decided if it will go in the S2 or 951. The S2 would be an easier installation since the 951 currently has a remote amp. If you do buy one of the newer units please let us know how the installation goes. There's at least one thread on these systems in the 911 forums.
Old 11-04-2021, 01:30 PM
JimmyB
Rennlist Member

I’m planning - eventually - on going the simple route; bluetooth receiver / amp hidden behind a blanking plate, with the control panel hidden in the ashtray.

Unfortunately the 944 / 968 blanking plate is NLA; any suggestions on what else would fit and look right? Maybe one from a similar-era 911?
Old 11-06-2021, 04:07 PM
JimmyB
Rennlist Member

Found a few hours to tear into the car properly today. Good news is that the variocam pads and cam sprockets look great - backing up the claimed but undocumented top end rebuild following a timing belt snap a few years ago. Timing belt is next; I got as far as taking the mid and upper belt covers off but ran out of time.

The ‘While I’m In There’ list is growing … there’s definitely more than one power steering leak, and a blown sway bar bushing, so the car could be on stands for a while.

Obligatory pics:

How it started … not one but two tower braces to remove

Slightly crude bracket - I’ll get some red rustoleum or something and paint over this before I reinstall

Variocam inspection

How it’s going

Blown sway bar bushing
Old 11-07-2021, 06:39 PM
JimmyB
Rennlist Member

Made some good progress today until one of the eight bolts holding the alternator / balance shaft pulley stripped. Vice grips didn't work ... will try EZ-outs tomorrow. Any other suggestions welcome!

The offending bolt
Old 11-07-2021, 07:03 PM
Yogii
Rennlist Member

My only suggestion, which you probably have already done, is spray the offending bolt with some sort of penetrating oil overnight to help with tomorrow's chore.

good luck,

-Yogii
AKA 968 Novice
JimmyB (11-08-2021)
Old 11-07-2021, 09:04 PM
sm
Drifting

Received 72 Likes on 60 Posts

Found a few hours to tear into the car properly today. Good news is that the variocam pads and cam sprockets look great - backing up the claimed but undocumented top end rebuild following a timing belt snap a few years ago. Timing belt is next; I got as far as taking the mid and upper belt covers off but ran out of time.

The ‘While I’m In There’ list is growing … there’s definitely more than one power steering leak, and a blown sway bar bushing, so the car could be on stands for a while.

Obligatory pics:

How it started … not one but two tower braces to remove

Slightly crude bracket
That strut bar with the welded in brackets might be the reproduction that forum member Oddjob commissioned many years ago. The bar is modeled after the ones installed on the 944 turbo cup cars.
JimmyB (11-08-2021)
Old 11-08-2021, 11:15 PM
JimmyB
Rennlist Member

Thanks, SM - I’ve reached out to Oddjob to see if it’s one of his. With the turbo cup-style brace, the KLA brace behind it, and the extra brace underneath this car must be stiffer than a … well, you get the idea.

Snuck outside for an hour or so at lunchtime today - perks of working from home. Tried vice grips on the recalcitrant bolt but no dice, even after an overnight soak in PB Blaster. So I took the front sway bar off instead, in order to convince myself I’d done something productive. Discovered a torn steering rack boot, too - another addition to the “while I’m in there” list …

Last edited by JimmyB; 11-08-2021 at 11:17 PM.
Old 11-09-2021, 01:04 AM
DSMblue
Three Wheelin'

Received 200 Likes on 154 Posts

Thanks, SM - I’ve reached out to Oddjob to see if it’s one of his. With the turbo cup-style brace, the KLA brace behind it, and the extra brace underneath this car must be stiffer than a … well, you get the idea.

Snuck outside for an hour or so at lunchtime today - perks of working from home. Tried vice grips on the recalcitrant bolt but no dice, even after an overnight soak in PB Blaster. So I took the front sway bar off instead, in order to convince myself I’d done something productive. Discovered a torn steering rack boot, too - another addition to the “while I’m in there” list …
Not sure that I'm a big fan of ez outs, as if they break, you have hardened steel in place. Could weld a nut to the bolt head and then turn out. Heat from the welding would help break the corrosive bond.
JimmyB (11-09-2021)
Old 11-09-2021, 08:22 AM
royalschwarz
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

I have a set of these bolt extractors (old Craftsman but any brand will do) that I use for the CV bolts. I never even attempt hex or triple square bolts anymore because they always strip on me and these take them out every time. See if you can get one on the head...

JimmyB (11-09-2021)
Old 11-09-2021, 01:17 PM
JimmyB
Rennlist Member

Aha - those look very much like what I need. I’ll get some, and focus on steering components in the meantime.

Welding a nut on will have to be a last resort, if only because I have neither the equipment nor the skill 😄

Quick Reply: 1993 968 - Rehabilitation and ClubSport-ification