Anyone here own a 968CS?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2004, 08:03 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone here own a 968CS?

I was reading an article a few minutes ago- does the CS have manual windows & mirrors? What about the rear seat? The article said that it did not have the seat, but, a fiberglass board of some sort that covers the area... I'm trying to find something to replace the rear seat in my Turbo S with- my favorite idea was using the 968 cab rear tray, but, I really want to save some weight if I can (the main reason for removing the rear seat to beginn with) & I think that tray might actually ADD weight. As for the manual stuff, I'm not worried about the mirrors, as I believe the wiring in the doors for the mirrors alone, probably weighs more than the mirror motors- the windows, though- I'm considering manual windows- I have 968 door panels & pockets (along w/mirrors & handles) & cant see how the window crank would fit in there w/the taller 968 map pockets... Any input would be appreciated....

Thanks
Old 02-01-2004, 09:05 AM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Manual windows and mirrors indeed. Plus no electric trunk release, no rear wiper/motor, manual heating control, no alarm or wiring, only one radiator cooling fan, smaller alternator and wiring harness. Smaller output battery too (guess it was smaller??). If you wanted AC then you got a bigger battery and wiring harness and second cooling fan.

All this stuff is in the Morgan book, you should get this. 'The Original 924/944/968'.
Old 02-01-2004, 10:43 AM
Graham CS
Instructor

The back board is actually wood painted black with carpet.

Took mine out for the harnesses. it is also quite heavy.

Graham
Old 02-01-2004, 10:54 AM
Alex Cook
Instructor

Robby

Bear in mind, the CS was only about 100lb lighter than the regular car, and about half of that is due to the lightweight Recaro buckets.

I would guess the shelf over the rear seats doesn't save any weight. It's thick and it's carpeted. The main reason it's there is to render the rear seats useless - as it's not legal (in Europe at least) to sell a 2-door car with rear seats if the front seats don't tip forward to allow access.

About the door panels - the CS used the old 944 style door panels. The window crank goes in front of the armrest, where the pocket is on the 968 panel.
Old 02-01-2004, 12:12 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Okay- it's all making sense now- the article said fiberboard I think- I mistook it for fibreglass- that doesn't make much sense either- they acted like the CS was a LOT lighter than just ~100lbs dif- w/the sound deadening, stereo, etc all ripped out, no SR(?), no AC, no PS, manual everything, etc- well, all things considered, most of this is not worth it to me for a street car no matter what it saves. But, I would reallly think they would make the rear seat panel of something much lighter, as the total amount back there is ~35lbs, when you count the whole seat (top & bottom) & all seat belts, etc- even the seat bottom is ~8lbs & I would think a lightweight panel could be made to wegh <5lbs, so, saving at LEAST 25lbs total- that's what I'm trying to do at least.... any ideas on some nice simple way to make something for my car?

thanks for all the quick info guys...
Old 02-04-2004, 05:14 PM
jp951
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default how much space do you need?

I'm just asking cause I have a club sport and had a 951 in which I had removed the rear seat and I really don't see much diference between the two as far as uaseable space goes. yes the club sport has more flat trunk space but if you remove the seat back you still have the seat bottoms to put stuff in. also, the tray in the CS is not removeable, or moveable at all so it makes the seat bottoms like a little shelf which is almost useless except to put magazines or something really small.

as far as the window cranks go, I think the hole is high enough where the speaker location on the ddor would not be a problem. the guy I bought mine from actually put electric windows in but didn't change the door panel so I can take a picture and you can clearly see where the hole lines up.

do you know by the way how much the hood weighs? that could be a nice saving right there if you go carbon fiber.

manuel scettri
Old 02-05-2004, 02:26 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

manuel- I'm looking at it as sort of weight saving/asthetic thing... as for the widow crank- I'm not talking about interfering w/the speakers- my speakers are underneath the armrest- I'm talking about the crank getting stuck underneath the top of the taller 968 pocket- normal 968's have taller pockets than earlier 944's, etc... IF you have any pics, though, I would love to see them... you can post them, or, send them to:
rkc@kvine.com

Thanks a lot,
Old 02-05-2004, 10:32 AM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 179 Likes on 121 Posts
Default 968cs

Robby, there is actually a guy here in the US who is trying to get a Amazon 93 CS certified. He had the car at Hershey last year. I can't remember his name but he used to visit the other board. A nice guy and an interesting car.
Old 02-05-2004, 10:40 AM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That's Joska, he sent the car to CA to get it US certified-I think he's scheduled for Hershey again this year.
Old 02-05-2004, 11:34 AM
jp951
Advanced

Default me too!

Hey Damian, would you happen to know how to contact this joska guy? I would really like to bring my CS back to the states when I'm done over here. thanks!

manuel scettri
Old 02-05-2004, 12:06 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

jp, he used to post at the other site. His email address there was joska@kulcsar.de He hasn't posted since 3/2003 so I'm not sure if it still works. If he has been successful you can benefit on the reduced cost of getting your car done, I think.
Old 02-05-2004, 01:17 PM
jp951
Advanced

Unhappy unfortunately...

Thanks for the reply Jeff, but unfortunately I think it won't be possible to bring it in. I spoke to a company today that does the importing and vehicle certification and this car doesn't have airbags which are required after 93 or something. And retrofitting airbags would be a very cost intensive job not to mention hard to do since the sensors and all the wiring would have to be put in from scratch.

So I guess I'll sell it when the time comes and get another 968 in the states. What sucks is that this one is speed yellow, and I really think that is the best color on these!! Oh well...

manuel scettri
Old 02-05-2004, 01:32 PM
Phil Harrison
Addict
Rennlist Member

Why couldn't you just retrofit an airbag etc from a US vehicle during the certification - that would not be a big job.

I would be interested in getted a CS or TS certified at some point in the future also. I'd also be interesting in Joska's progress if you can get an update. I know he was having problems at one point with the shop in CA doing the work.

The other way of doing it would be to start with a coupe & de-content it & add in the CS specific stuff, but that would be a replica...
Old 02-05-2004, 01:42 PM
jp951
Advanced

Default well...

The problem is not so much in the actuall fitting of the airbags but its in all the stuff that goes on behind that. The wiring harness would have to probably be OEM which would be a complete pain and then theres the matter of all the sensors for the bags to work. So thats the pain.

I wouldn't mind a replica though. I'm not looking to own a club sport specifically...thats not why I wanted to bring mine in. But this 968 has very low miles, 50k, and it has the nicest I think 968 color, speed yellow.

Now that I think about it though, my RS2 has airbags....

manuel scettri
Old 02-05-2004, 02:58 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Default New rules

Didn't the government pass new laws a few years ago around importing cars? I seem to recall you can indicate the car is for show only. Now they are able to bring 959s and Jag 220s here to the US. matter a fact, the dealer up the street from me had a 220 a few months ago. I can't believe i got to see one in person. JP, could this work for you?

Quick Reply: Anyone here own a 968CS?