Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Anyone here own a 968CS?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2004, 07:30 AM
Fen
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Re: Re: the more I think about it...

Originally posted by Robby
Oh, I KNOW they were not mandatory at THAT time- they were not mandatory until AT LEAST '95 b/c the VR6 Corrados (even '94's) NEVER had them- I'm 100% certain of this... Now the 95 Corrados in Canada & other parts of the world...I'm not sure... but the late 80's were WAY before the AB BS...
The Corrado was dropped from production because VW could not fit airbags, so NO Corrados had them. I think it finally went in '96 or '97 in the UK
Old 03-01-2004, 07:59 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wasn't aware of that- I believe you, but it doesn't make a bit of sense. The Corrado being stopped b/c they couldn't fit air bags? I mean hell, they put them in GTi's & IIRC, the little Polo's got them eventually didn't they? I mean, it wouldn't really shock me, but, again, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense that they couldn't find some way to install them- I think it's fu**ing ludicrous that ANY car should HAVE to have them & I start to get VERY irritated (to the point of violence) when I start thinking about it... It REALLY pisses me off... I really liked the Corrados- I mean 93 & up- didn't much care for the 92's- the later interior really looked good, but, for some reason, I never liked the older interior in that car- in GTi's, Sciroccos, etc, fine- & I know that the Corrado WAS really the later Scirocco, but, I never look at it that way... Anyway, thanks for the input- that's really cool- your cars sound awesome btw- any pics?
Old 03-01-2004, 10:08 AM
Fen
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It may have been more than just the airbags, but it was definitely because they couldn't get them to meet crash test standards. I distinctly remember when the Storm model was launched in the UK to shift the last of them that Performance Car magazine were making a big deal about VW killing off a fantastic car because of safety regs.
Old 03-07-2004, 12:59 PM
mike_hammond
Instructor

Some pics for Robby as requested, sorry they took so long to sort out but here you go.
Attached Images  
Old 03-07-2004, 01:02 PM
mike_hammond
Instructor

And another showing the shelf from the front, and just to confirm its a piece of plywood covered in carpet, Hi-tech..NOT !!!!
Attached Images  
Old 03-07-2004, 04:05 PM
mike_hammond
Instructor

One more, shows the door card with manual window winders but minus elec window switch and mirror control which is manually adjusted from the outside.
Attached Images  
Old 03-08-2004, 01:11 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Very nice- thanks a lot- the center console- there is no top on it? Are there little holes for the cassette flaps in the edges or is it perfectly smooth? How do those speakers sound back there? There is no enclosure, so I'm very curious- what size? I know people have used the 968 CAB rear deck, that had hte doors, & removed the doors, adding big rectangular speaker grills- this completed the enclosure & made incredible subs, but, I don't want subs... At any rate, would be a really cool set-up for an audio-file- I've given up on these cars for REALLY good systems- they just aren't designed for it- most American cars blow them away in that respect- I want good SQ, etc, but, can't really get too much power w/out spending a fortune comparably... oh well...
Old 03-08-2004, 05:44 AM
mike_hammond
Instructor

Rob,

The centre console is as standard for the CS no fancy cassette storage for the hardcore model .

Speakers aren't connected, they're are from the previous owner and I plan to remove them at some point when I shall replace the deck and recover it with new carpet. Who listens to a radio in a CS ??

Mike
Old 03-08-2004, 01:29 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Robby, you can buy the coin holder piece in black from some of the UK suppliers, it's a direct replacement for the cassette hinged box. I won't do it, as that's where the t tool to undo the cab top is stored.
Old 03-08-2004, 01:44 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Coin holder piece? I never knew it existed- does the top work w/it? Also, why would the T-tool not go into IT?
Old 03-08-2004, 02:11 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It just a trough that takes the place of the hinged top/cassette storage area. It's open to view, and I wouldn't want to have the t tool sliding around all the time.

Quick Reply: Anyone here own a 968CS?