968 Forum 1992-1995

Pondering a 968 Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 12:42 PM
GOTA944
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pondering a 968 Purchase

I am quite familiar with the front engined water cooled 928 and 924/944/968 lineage, having owned a 5 spd. 85.5 944 and driven a 2.7L 5 spd. 89 944 and automatic 87 944. I've also driven a 928 S4 automatic, which was a completely different experience, much heavier in feel and effort but cannot beat that V8 rumble. I've also owned a few 968 competitors of the era Dodge Stealth Twin Turbo, driven 300zxs and RX7s, but keep coming back to the 968, which I feel has aged the best, albeit maybe the RX7. After pitching a 928 or 968 to the wife, she stated she likes them both and said whichever is less expensive to maintain and is more reliable. Thus, I have all but decided on a 968. That said, I like the idea of a cabriolet since it is one of the few cars that Does not look worse as a convertible. To those who own both or have driven both, which do you prefer and why? Which is more desirable for resale? I am also torn on the tipronic. Wife would definitely drive it if it had one, which like it or not, is a selling point in my house. Finally, my budget will be less than 30k. I imagine I can find a real cream puff for quite a bit less than that. The car will be used fair weather weekends only, maybe 2k miles a year. Any words of wisdom from those in the know?
Old 10-09-2017, 01:54 PM
Jim C
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

I've had both and much prefer the coupe. Guess I'm not a cab kinda guy.

You should be able to find a decent example of either for under 30K, but prices are on the rise for the real cream puffs. Depending on when you're ready to buy, time of year will have an influence. And, if you find a cream puff, I'd recommend not thinking about it too long. The cream puffs don't stay on the market for long. Many never even hit the market and are bought & sold by word of mouth.
Old 10-09-2017, 02:07 PM
GOTA944
Advanced

Good to know, Jim. Realistically, I would not be ready until Spring/Summer since I have another car to sell off before, which would go up in the Spring. Of course, bad time to be a buyer but prob more on the market at that time.
Old 10-09-2017, 02:34 PM
Jim C
Rennlist Member

Good luck - hope you're able to get a gem! Pics are mandatory!
Old 10-09-2017, 05:30 PM
tlarocque
Three Wheelin'

Received 69 Likes on 33 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...time-blue.html
Old 10-09-2017, 10:45 PM
GOTA944
Advanced

I saw that one. Not my cup of tea but definitely... Unique.
Old 10-10-2017, 11:21 AM
Jim C
Rennlist Member

That's a beautiful 944S2 cab...! Wow!
Old 10-10-2017, 11:29 AM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 118 Posts

This is truly a matter of opinion. I own both. I think the coupe is a better looking vehicle but when it comes to driving, there is nothing like putting the top down. The 968 is already a great driver's car and delivers a great experience. It handles well and has the right amount of HP to get through the turns in a spirited fashion. But again, putting the top down just adds to the experience IMHO. Try them both and see what you think.
Old 10-10-2017, 11:56 AM
jsheiry
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

Take a look at this low mileage nice looking Cab in the PCA classifieds.
https://www.pca.org/classified-ad/324440
Old 10-10-2017, 02:15 PM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 216 Likes on 139 Posts

You might want to contact jferrro17, he has his cab posted on another forum, looks to be a great car and a really, really attractive price.

https://rennlist.com/forums/members/...ferraro17.html

1994 968 Cabriolet. Iris Blue Mettalic, Classic Grey (1 of 3). 105.6K miles.

VIN: WP0CA2963RS840496

I’ve had this car for 3 years, with the intention of fully restoring. Most of the mechanical/maintenance issues that needed attention are complete, as well as performance upgrades; listed below. I drive it a couple times a week, yet there is still work to do…the majority of it cosmetic/interior. Interior is in decent shape, just worn.

Great driving, RARE color combo, mechanically sound, looking for somebody to take it the rest of the way. $14,000. Will consider all realistic offers, but this price is well valued via Hagerty considering the completed work, parts used and parts included in the sale

Mechanical:

-Engine opened, complete inspection, gasket and bolts replaced

-Engine mounts replaced

-Cam chain, tension pads and oil tube replaced

-Plugs, wires, distributor and rotor replaced

-Knock Sensors replaced

-Oil sensor replaced

-Starter wire replaced

-Crank sensor replaced

-Top of engine clear powder coat

-Fuel Feed and Return lines replaced

-Front wheel bearings replaced

-Brake discs and pads replaced, Parking brake springs replaced

-Clutch hose, master and slave cylinders replaced

-Control arm bushings replaced, alignment

-Sway bar bushings replaced

-Voltage regulator replaced

Performance:

-RS Barn Stage 1 chip

-Airbox cold air modification, K&N Filter

-Club Sport steering wheel/airbag delete

-993 17” Cup II Wheels, Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires (1/2015, 800 miles)

Cosmetic:

-Eruo-style turn signals/front ”bumperette” delete (old ones retained as parts)

-Front & rear bumper covers, both side mirror housings repainted

-Front lower grid and batwing (front apron) (front apron) replaced

-Rear brake light housings replaced (old ones retained as parts)

-Roof boot replaced

-Instrument panel repainted, bulbs AND reflectors replaced

-Black leather shift boot

Parts included, uninstalled:

-Original 15” 968 wheels/center caps

-Original computer chip

-New spare DME relay

-Used interior windshield trim pieces in black

-New ignition switch

-New interior door handles in black

-New exterior door seals, door handle seals

-New forward side-skirt seals

-Overhead light with LED bulb

-Drivers side black plastic dashboard trim

-New hood liner

-AC and power steering struts

Known issues/full disclousure/to do list, but functional:

-Power steering very minor/slow leak & cooling hose/coil to replace

-Never got around to struts/shocks

-Hood and trunk lid repaint

-Radio & clock inop & disconnected awaiting interior rework

-Belly pan/batwing (front apron) (front apron) has some zip-tie assistance due to bent fittings & wheel well plastic wear
Old 10-10-2017, 02:49 PM
JFerraro17
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Paul--

Thanks for posting this!

We've got a big 968 event this Saturday in DFW, and then I was going to post something here in this forum on RL asking for thoughts/input with regards to selling or moving forward with the restoration of this car. Decisions need to be made either way. And truthfully, only the diehard 968 types care/are worth asking for opinions

Couple of things differ from above post.....The trunk lid has been repainted. I also acquired a few more pieces of interior equipment for the restoration. (AC vents in black, two door panels in better shape than originals, but in wrong color).

Lastly, I forgot to mention: the roof fabric is faded and has numerous small breaches. I'm sure its original. I have not replaced it because frankly, I only drive this car on beautiful days. I honestly haven't had the top up and locked in 2+ years. I *did* release it from the motors into manual mode, and it was in working condition at that time, no damage to bows or anything like that.

Stand by for more next week.

(sorry for the thread hijack!)
Old 10-11-2017, 11:27 AM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Here is a really nice looking cab:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1995-Porsche...lZ3ZUC&vxp=mtr
Old 10-12-2017, 08:18 AM
GOTA944
Advanced

Thanks for all the great replies. I think in order to do what I'd like to do (keep my 1970 Mach 1 Mustang) AND get a 968, I need a lift. My 3 car garage has 9 ft and 10 ft ceilings, 9 ft in the back half, 10 ft in the front half closest to the overhead doors. After doing some measurements and looking at lifts, a 968 coupe would not fit on a lift since it's off by a couple inches; however, a 968 cab with the top down backed onto the lift will. Also, a 928 on the bottom and 968 coupe on the top would fit lol. My Mustang is taller than a 928. I thought about it and then came to the conclusion that one 20+ year old Porsche upkeep bills will be enough. I'll probably start really looking in the Spring, but I appreciate all the feedback. I was leaning toward a cab anyway since I really think they look nice as one (eliminates the somewhat dated hatch styling). Plus, I've never owned a convertible before. I'm also partial to Guards Red with black interior. My 944 was red and my Mach 1 is red. Though I have had some fun Dodge Challenger colors (Plum Crazy, Hemi Orange and Detonator Yellow). Yes, Inwent through a Mopar phase ��
Old 10-12-2017, 10:11 AM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GOTA944
Though I have had some fun Dodge Challenger colors (Plum Crazy, Hemi Orange and Detonator Yellow). Yes, Inwent through a Mopar phase ��
I currently own a 1970 Dodge Challenger T/A 340 6pak in Go-Mango orange. I've owned over 30 mopars through the years. But if I keep at it I should catch up with 968s owned by 2025.
Old 10-13-2017, 12:52 AM
vipergreent
Advanced

Default 968 cab for sale on BAT rare color

Here is a nice 968 Cab 1 of 14

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...8-cabriolet-4/

Quick Reply: Pondering a 968 Purchase