964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Kaaz LSD

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 04:35 AM
KevTse
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kaaz LSD

Anyone had any experience with Kaaz LSD? I heard Kaaz is the best LSD maker in Japan and I'm looking to replace the stock one in my Turbo 3.6.

http://www.kaazusa.com/partinfo_euro.html

http://www.part-box.com/kaaz-lsd-for...h=2214_967_723

Cheers
Kev
Old 10-10-2009, 04:43 AM
emilios
Burning Brakes

Kev, why would you want to change it?
Old 10-11-2009, 11:41 PM
KevTse
Instructor

With mileage of 55,000km the diff in my car is making more and more noises. I could buy an OEM LSD from Porsche again but the same thing would happen some years down the road.

So I'm looking for a "better" solution to this common LSD problem...

Kev
Old 10-12-2009, 12:24 PM
Black_Hat
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

change fluid
put in friction modifier

my noise went away
Old 10-21-2009, 04:44 PM
Erik@GBox
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a better option for you now. If you are going to get a new differential, take a look at the OS Giken. I have sold the Kaaz in the past and have to be honest had good success with them, however they simply do not compare to the OS Giken, nothing really does in my opinion.

Happy to help and check out the group buy.

Erik Johnson
GBox Sales Manager
(303) 440-8899 work
(303) 895-4828 cell
Old 10-22-2009, 04:14 AM
KevTse
Instructor

Hi Erik,

Can you give us more information on the OS Giken LSD? Price?

Thanks
Kev
Old 10-22-2009, 07:39 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

We've seen a number of problems with the Kaaz differentials.
Old 10-22-2009, 11:06 AM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 120 Likes on 84 Posts

Kev,
No matter what LSd you choose it's going to wear out internals and need service down the road. That's true of the factory diff and any diff. you can find in the aftermarket. It's got clutches inside of it. Just like your other clutch and your brake pads, any friction surface will wear. It will cost you less to rebuild your factory LSD than to buy any of the new offerings on the market with probably about the same lifespan and similar performance.

Regards,

Matt Monson
Old 10-28-2009, 12:14 AM
Bernie930
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As Matt says, your factory diff. will be fine, probably just needs a rebuild, unless you are heavily racing it, as I personnally not a big fan of the ramps in those diffs for the track, but work fine for the street, the factory thought so, didn't it. Maybe just start by putting in new fluid (proper) and see if the problems go away, if not have a competent porsche mechanic inspect the diff.
Hope this helps
Bernie
Old 10-28-2009, 05:05 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,170 Likes on 1,299 Posts

The noise issue has been discussed numerous times. These LSD's work both under accel and decel unlike most aftermarket LSD's they make noise when working. The additive helps for a while but the noise comes back it is recognized by the factory and there is a TSB about it. If they stop making noise is when you have a problem.

Change your fluid add the friction additive and you should be fine for a year or so and saved yourself a ton of money.
Old 10-29-2009, 01:09 AM
KevTse
Instructor

Thanks all for the advice! Yea I guess I should change the LSD fluid first before I purchase anything.

Kev
Old 11-12-2009, 07:25 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Bernie930
As Matt says, your factory diff. will be fine, probably just needs a rebuild, unless you are heavily racing it, as I personnally not a big fan of the ramps in those diffs for the track, but work fine for the street, the factory thought so, didn't it. Maybe just start by putting in new fluid (proper) and see if the problems go away, if not have a competent porsche mechanic inspect the diff.
Hope this helps
Bernie
Hello Bernie,

Hope you got that 930 back on the road and all sorted out.

Bernie makes a good point about the ramps. The nice thing is that they are replaceable if you are going to race the car. You can most of the work yourself if you are DIYer and mechanically inclined. Here's a little How-To that was recently published on 6speedonline:

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/g...sd-buster.html
Old 11-15-2009, 02:03 PM
Erik@GBox
Former Vendor

Depending on how long it has been since your differential has been rebuilt, changing the fluid is not really going to help too much.

The plates in your differential are most likely worn. You can easily discover this by putting one rear wheel up in the air and turning it, while the other rear wheel is still firmly planted to the ground. If you can turn your raised wheel with little or no effort then it is time to either get it rebuilt, or replace it all together.

I know that Matt at GT offers some replacement plates with which you may upgrade, in a sense, to. There is also a kit available from Porsche to upgrade your differential from a 2 plate diff, to a 4 plate.

Porsche differentials typically have a preload of anywhere from about 9.5 lbs to about 25 lbs. I think that you will find that your preload may come up a bit by utilizing the GT plates, which depending on your desired end result can be better or worse.

Feel free to get in touch with me if you have any questions about this and I will be happy to discuss all of your options with you.

Happy to help,

Erik Johnson
GBox Sales Manager
(303) 895-4828 cell
Old 11-17-2009, 11:30 AM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Erik@GBox
I know that Matt at GT offers some replacement plates with which you may upgrade, in a sense, to.
Erik,
I thought you were done with the mud slinging?
Old 11-17-2009, 04:21 PM
Erik@GBox
Former Vendor

Matt you know as well as I do that there are plus' and minus' to your plate upgrade. I just want to make sure that everyone else knows what those are as well. There are several options available here, and it would be a mistake to not educate people on what ALL of those options are.

I am surprised that you would consider my previous post, mudslinging. My apologies.

Kev, if you do decide that you are going to upgrade to a new differential, I would certainly recommend doing some research on your options. GT, Kaaz, OS Giken, and a few other companies all have options for your car.

In relation to the OS Giken, you can find several posts here on this differential, including a Rennlist Discount that we are currently offering. Cost for the diff though right now is $1700.00 which is pretty competitive in my opinion, but I will let you judge that for yourself.

I hope that this is helpful, give me a call if you have any questions that I can help you with.

Warmest Regards,

Erik Johnson
GBox Sales Manager
(303) 440-8899 work
(303) 895-4828 cell

Quick Reply: Kaaz LSD