964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Speedline refinish 2008

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 12:35 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Update: 01/27/2008
I finally got around to seperating the rims. Boy was I glad. Looks like the water/P21S got to the centers as well and there was definitely clear coat flaking on them even though it wasn't evident until I took the outers off.
On a positive note, the seals are very soft and moist so they should be no problems reusing them.
I will try to post some pictures tomorrow. Now, I need to add the centers to be finished as well.
Yikes!
Raj
Old 01-28-2008, 12:38 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cobalt
These would be my show wheels vs my driving wheels ( now you know what a fanatic I can be) Although I seriously concours my car and I have to compete with Y65mph which is no easy task.
Tony, I know exactly what you mean. i would be darned if I use my speedlines all the time after refurbishing them. I only plan to install them for shows and special events.
My normal driving set will be the 02 lightweights that I just picked up. They look nice on 968's even though not even close to speedlines.
Regards.
Raj
Old 01-28-2008, 10:19 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,066 Likes on 1,241 Posts

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
Tony, I know exactly what you mean. i would be darned if I use my speedlines all the time after refurbishing them. I only plan to install them for shows and special events.
My normal driving set will be the 02 lightweights that I just picked up. They look nice on 968's even though not even close to speedlines.
Regards.
Raj
I like the lightweights. They look good on just about everything. Sounds good, now get that car done, we have a seriously good Concours season scheduled this year.
Old 01-31-2008, 03:06 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Well, the wheels are packed up and ready to be shipped. I decided to go with Jim D after some long conversations with him. He definitely seems to share the same passion for these wheels like some of us.
We also agreed that instead of him doing the refinish and clear coating and then me doing the final install, it would make the most sense for him to complete it and spray the clear coat, since this way I get a finished product and there won't be any chance of miscommunication.
I can't wait to get them back. I am kicking myself for taking them apart. I did not need this sort of expense for just minor cosmetic stuff but oh well.
Raj
Old 01-31-2008, 04:57 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
Well, the wheels are packed up and ready to be shipped. I decided to go with Jim D after some long conversations with him. He definitely seems to share the same passion for these wheels like some of us.
We also agreed that instead of him doing the refinish and clear coating and then me doing the final install, it would make the most sense for him to complete it and spray the clear coat, since this way I get a finished product and there won't be any chance of miscommunication.
I can't wait to get them back. I am kicking myself for taking them apart. I did not need this sort of expense for just minor cosmetic stuff but oh well.
Raj
Sounds good,

looking forward to seeing the results first hand.

Just chalk it up to experience.
Old 01-31-2008, 05:39 PM
Flachbau
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
Sounds good,

looking forward to seeing the results first hand.

Just chalk it up to experience.
Yes looking forward to seeing the results as I have a pair to refurb and have spoken with Jim about it as well.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:43 PM
jim dorociak
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok, cat is out of the bag. I scored a set of 993 RS wheels to be refinished. Just received them today, and was very surprised to learn they are not the same size rim halves as the 3.6 Turbo wheels or the Aliseo wheels I have be come so familar with. I kept looking at them and thinking the rear outer in the rear just does not look right. Well, it is 1.25" wide just like the front on the 993 RS wheel as are the fronts on the 3.6 Turbo wheels. So how did they get 8 & 10's same 6.5 inner hoops for the front and 8.5 inner hoops on the rears. Go figure, must learn something new every day.

jim
Old 01-31-2008, 09:48 PM
jim dorociak
Rennlist Member

So here is a new question for you Turbo guys. Can you fit a wider wheel on your car? If yes, could it be 1/2 wider on the inner hoop? What would it hit? Or could you run a 1/2" wider outer rim - would it miss the fender lip?

I had heard of moving the rear 1.75" outer hoop (1/2") wider than our regular front hoop. Putting a 2.25" rear hoop (again 1/2" wider than our normal rear hoop) and making 8.5 and 10.5 sized wheels.

Anybodies thoughts would be appreciated, as my car is a non turbo and I have more room for a wider rim.

Jim
Old 01-31-2008, 10:21 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

Jim are you keeping the 993RS rim centers??

I'm looking for a set.
Old 02-01-2008, 01:08 AM
jim dorociak
Rennlist Member

Kevin, probably going to sell after they are completely restored. With spares I have on hand I could actually make 8.5 and 10.5 simply by using 1.75" outer rims front and rear instead of the 1.25" that currently are on the set. I know some of the TT guys probably want 9 & 11's so it was just a thought. I am always trying to figure out what Speedline did when they were making these wheels.

Jim
Old 02-01-2008, 11:17 AM
race.it
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jim, do you want me to try and measure my rims? I can do a basic measure from the outside with the tyre on, i did not think when the tyres were swapped the other day to get the measurements for you.

John
Old 02-01-2008, 11:18 AM
Ag02M5
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by cytefx
Jim, do you want me to try and measure my rims? I can do a basic measure from the outside with the tyre on, i did not think when the tyres were swapped the other day to get the measurements for you.

John
If you can get the outermost width...take that and subtract an inch.

RT
Old 02-01-2008, 11:29 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jim dorociak
So here is a new question for you Turbo guys. Can you fit a wider wheel on your car? If yes, could it be 1/2 wider on the inner hoop? What would it hit? Or could you run a 1/2" wider outer rim - would it miss the fender lip?

I had heard of moving the rear 1.75" outer hoop (1/2") wider than our regular front hoop. Putting a 2.25" rear hoop (again 1/2" wider than our normal rear hoop) and making 8.5 and 10.5 sized wheels.

Anybodies thoughts would be appreciated, as my car is a non turbo and I have more room for a wider rim.

Jim
I had heard some time back about a 10.5 inch rear customized speedline used on a 94. IIRC the inner barrel was extended a half inch as the outer ring looked identical. The wheel clearance isn't as much of an issue as the tire clearance. I can fit (just barely) a 295 on my 10's. This gives me .400 of clearance between the tire and the trailing arm. I would assume if you went with a 10.5 wide wheel a 285/295 tire might be pushing it.
Old 02-01-2008, 11:34 AM
Ag02M5
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jim dorociak

Jim
I'd love to do just what you are saying Jim.

The fronts would be fine. I don't think the rears could take a ful 1/2 on the outer. I threw a speedline on the car and measured the outer edge of the fender to the outermost part of the wheel (plum bob) and it was right around 1/4". You MIGHT be able to do the 1/2" with some serious camber and a stretched tire ala JDM VIP style.

Hey Jim...If you send me your 2.25 outer, I will bolt it to my center and throw it on the car and compress the suspension to ride height. We can at least see how the wheel edge sits relative to the car and if it clears under full compression (sans tire).

RT
Old 02-01-2008, 12:26 PM
jim dorociak
Rennlist Member

I was on the TT forum where they were talking about what size tire to run and there was a discussion about Speedline 9 & 11's on a TT. I am thinking how did they get there. 8.5 plus 2.25 plus the crush ring width gets you to 11" on the rear. 9's on the front are 7 plus 1.75 plus crush ring.

John, it looks like the Techarts are using very different rim sizing than all of our Speedline wheels. They could be a 7" inner and a 3.5 outer. If you get a chance I would like to record your rim widths.

Jim

Quick Reply: Speedline refinish 2008