964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

ALL SHOW NO GO!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 02:13 PM
kleinbbc2
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ALL SHOW NO GO!!!

Here are some pics of my car with new rebuilt motor/tranny. Having trouble with the tec2.. If anybody can help me I will email you the bin. Can't wait to get here back on the road..

Last edited by kleinbbc2; 04-08-2008 at 08:07 PM.
Old 09-10-2006, 02:26 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 336 Likes on 224 Posts

Take it to a shop that tunes Electromotive..
Old 09-10-2006, 03:23 PM
kleinbbc2
Racer

I can't find anybody in the Tampa Fl. I had the engine on a dyno and all the guys that said they could tune turned out to be talk. Engine came off the dyno with no runs. The program I have came from REEVES and they claim it was what the car ran with..
Old 09-10-2006, 05:00 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I've said it before, the Tec II is not sufficient to run the turbo engine properly.
Old 09-10-2006, 05:06 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

If you don't believe Geoffrey, you might want to talk to Don E.. He has some interesting engine builds using the Tec systems..
Old 09-10-2006, 07:19 PM
turbobrat930
Racer

I have heard nothing but problems from people who run the tec-2 in their cars. That being said... I dont want to not offer you a solution besids replacing what you have now. Have you contacted JB Racing?? Talk to Mike Bruns. I dont know if they deal with electromotive, but he is a very knowledgable guy...and is near Tampa.....
Old 09-10-2006, 08:45 PM
kleinbbc2
Racer

I had the engine at JB racing for dyno runs Mike is a first class guy went out of his way to try to find someone to help with the tec2. He even let me keep it on the dyno for a couple of days.
I was thinking of going with something else but again will I be in the same boat with how to program the car. I had so many people tell me they could program the car but when it was time they all said I taught it was something else I had. I know tec2 is crap but will like to get the car to run with what I have.
So if I was to with something else what is out there? I just want something easy to program and be done with it No extra stuff like traction control, nos, etc...
Old 09-10-2006, 08:51 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

klein are you risking someone trying to tune your car and as a result knock your ring-lands off? How many engine overhauls do you want to go thru before you realize that you should have/ would have been better off spending the extra money now to buy a better EFI standalone system..

Again, how many compromises will you have to go thru to just get your engine running.
Old 09-10-2006, 08:53 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mark, I still think since Reeves "set the car up" initially and they still have multiple software bins I would at least give them a try, you are on your last option here!!!
Old 09-11-2006, 03:55 PM
edpurplett
Instructor

k,

what I think folks are trying to say (Geoff others?) Someone had another post(s) on this, is that it is possible TEC2 cannot handle the amount of variables to support a 930... the risk folks are alluding to is running too lean (maybe only under certain conditions) but can you afford to take that chance?? holed pistons, broken ring lands, burned valves, cracked heads, blown head/barrel seals... are some of teh risks... if you cannot find a tuner who has successfully (and there is an issue defining successfully) IMO, implemented a tec2.. i'd be scared.... we're not saying this to unjustly disparage tec2, just what we have heard/seen.... hope we're wrong... !!!!!!!!

ed
Old 09-13-2006, 12:07 AM
DRV2FST
Instructor

What about a Tec3? Would it do the job?
Old 09-13-2006, 01:38 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

That is what DonE was using...
Old 09-13-2006, 02:08 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

There are several issues with the TEC II unit. First is that the table resolution is only 8x8 which realistically is not enough sites for a boosted engine running to 7000rpm AND the TEC firmware does not interpolate very will in this early version. This is problematic for ithe main gnition timing table as well as the main fuel table. Second, there is no air temp compensation in the early firmware (may have been implemented later, I've never seen it though) and it uses a very slow air temp sensor. This means that the air fuel ratio will be very inconsistent over the wide range of temps the engine will see. Third, the wiring is not sufficient for external mounting in the engine compartment where oil, fuel, and water gets in. The ECU connections are similar to a stereo amplifier connection with a screw clamp.

People have made these engines work with the TEC II, but only by running an extremely rich mixture since it has to accomodate all running conditions due to air temp variations, and very conservative ignition timing. I would never take the risk for me personally or a customer.

Quick Reply: ALL SHOW NO GO!!!