Notices
964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

New to me Forest Green 964T

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2024, 12:27 AM
das76
Pro

Received 244 Likes on 134 Posts

congrats ! And at $180k with BaT fees you’ve got lots of room to improve the car. I was surprised that it went so cheaply considering the rare colour. Look forward to following along.
- Dave
The following 3 users liked this post by das76:
Boosted321 (01-30-2024), heliolps2 (01-30-2024), ianbsears (01-30-2024)
Old 01-30-2024, 09:30 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,979 Likes on 1,192 Posts

Originally Posted by jp884
You would be correct Cobalt, it is Amethyst over Magenta, the particular color combination made me want to jump on it. This was a Grand Prix Motors pick up, everything went pretty well, car has good bones but it needs work to bring it back to it's former glory, but don't they all? Ran out of garage space, so bought it for my dad which gives me hopefully a long time to figure out the storage situation when it makes it's way back to me along with his 996 GT2.
I believe it is the same car I was thinking of as it traded around. I have some old pics someplace of my cobalt next to the amethyst at a local concours event. I always loved the color although I am more of a blue/green lover. It would be a tough call if I was to consider another between the forest and amethyst. Both look so good and both quite rare. I had a friend with a forest 3.6T a very rare color as well.
The following 2 users liked this post by cobalt:
Boosted321 (01-30-2024), heliolps2 (01-30-2024)
Old 01-30-2024, 09:41 AM
Boosted321
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Underside protection

I was planning to have the undercarriage dry ice blasted, but upon further thinking I am concerned about losing the protection offered by the cosmoline. Those of you that have removed the cosmoline, what do you do for continued protection afterwards? I have found a product called honey seal which is a light pliable wax that I was thinking about using once everything is cleaned up. Any one have experience with that?
Old 01-30-2024, 10:45 AM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,047 Likes on 664 Posts

my solution is a climate controlled garage. 2 yrs in (from my dry ice blasting) & its still as good as the day it was done.

no wax for me. I still drive my car & I am quite certain any wax type application will pick up all the dirt from the turbulent air
The following 2 users liked this post by bweSteve:
cobalt (01-30-2024), heliolps2 (01-30-2024)
Old 01-30-2024, 11:40 AM
Boosted321
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bweSteve
my solution is a climate controlled garage. 2 yrs in (from my dry ice blasting) & its still as good as the day it was done.

no wax for me. I still drive my car & I am quite certain any wax type application will pick up all the dirt from the turbulent air
That’s good to know! Thank you! I plan on driving this car quite frequently as well, so a large part of my early ownership will be trying to find ways to preserve and not deteriorate the condition any more than it is.
Old 01-30-2024, 03:46 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

I vapor honed the suspension on my C2 and then used an aluminum brightener on it. 3 years many drives in the rain and keeping it in a climate controlled garage and I can't tell time has passed. Still looks clean and bright.
The following users liked this post:
bweSteve (01-31-2024)
Old 01-31-2024, 02:53 AM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

I ended up doing a combination of dry-ice, and vapor honing as well. Did the dry-ice first, then found out I had a broken head stud, so decided it should all come out (few yrs ago).

Here's a couple before / after pics. Tranny (vapor honing done outside).... and the valve cover done in the cabinet (& pulled it out half done so I could see the diff & take this pic)...

Valve Cover (half complete) ...

Old 01-31-2024, 02:58 AM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Might as well post a few more fun pics (since I'm digging around on my hard drive)...

Heads;-... after cleaning, re-work, and leak testing...

and a finish pic as I completed the final assembly ....

cobalt (01-31-2024), heliolps2 (02-06-2024)
Old 01-31-2024, 03:04 AM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

... and the BEST part of driving the car all the time? ... No LEAKS!!!

Congrats to both Boosted & JP ... both beautiful 964 Turbo's you have there. And even better that they are planned to be family cars. After 20 yrs of ownership, we still love this car. Our kids grew up in the back seats, ... & then grew to drive them too, once old enough. Family affair,... so the cars go to them in the trust. No plans to sell.
heliolps2 (02-06-2024)
Old 01-31-2024, 03:07 AM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

oh wow,... I just noticed from my pics above,... that was before I went with the KW v3's too.

hmm, the years fly by way too fast
Old 01-31-2024, 11:06 AM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by bweSteve
I ended up doing a combination of dry-ice, and vapor honing as well…
Always first class stuff by BWESteve…did you purchase a Vapor Hone machine? If yes, can you recommend and the level of difficulty?
I would love to get a couple of cars dry iced, but the closest to me would be exactly 1000mi in any direction.
bweSteve (01-31-2024)
Old 01-31-2024, 11:21 AM
Boosted321
Intermediate

Steve that looks incredible. Lots of shiny zinc! Any new parts/bolts or is that all from dry ice/vapor honing? You and cobalt are definitely setting a high bar to strive for!

I will go ahead with the dry ice for sure now. Just ordered some JRZ RS Pro’s to help the stance a bit! I’ve heard great things about their ability to maintain compliance over bumps still so hopefully that’s the case.

cobalt, I also want to say you were 100% spot on in your assessment of the car just from the auction photos. Everything you mentioned in the market thread was certainly the case(oil cooler leak - now fixed, paint work, harness installed - plugged and refinished bottom coating, front under tray bent - replacing with oem left and right). Amazing what you were able to deduce just from some photos. Thanks again!
Old 01-31-2024, 11:28 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

You can get into one for not much these days. They used to run about $7k on average. All depends on cabinet size. I used one similar to this I have access to 2 and they are all similar. The issue with Vapor honing is they are a high maintenance tool. That is why I prefer to borrow than buy.

​​​​​​https://vaporhoningtechnologies.com/weekend-warrior/ They recently picked this up at the dealership my son works at I used it once and it wasn't bad.

My C2 trailing arms before. Can't believe this was 2021 already.

After.

No change in appearance since. Even after many wet drives.
Igooz (02-01-2024)
Old 01-31-2024, 11:38 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Boosted321
cobalt, I also want to say you were 100% spot on in your assessment of the car just from the auction photos. Everything you mentioned in the market thread was certainly the case(oil cooler leak - now fixed, paint work, harness installed - plugged and refinished bottom coating, front under tray bent - replacing with oem left and right). Amazing what you were able to deduce just from some photos. Thanks again!
Anytime, glad it worked out for you. I love to see others get the most out of these cars.

BTW this can be a very slipper slope. I have about 50,000 pieces of hardware I have collected and reworked. I keep acquiring more from a friend who was a mechanic at a local shop called Powertech. He retired and every year at our local swap meet I pick up more. Sometimes he has some serious gold.

I polish clean and have them Cad plated locally. Worth the few hundred to have thousands of pieces done. Now when working on cars i replace and repurpose.

I have dozens of bins with vintage hardware. IMO far better than the junk we overpay for today.

The following 3 users liked this post by cobalt:
bweSteve (01-31-2024), heliolps2 (02-06-2024), Igooz (02-01-2024)
Old 01-31-2024, 12:02 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Igooz
Always first class stuff by BWESteve…did you purchase a Vapor Hone machine? If yes, can you recommend and the level of difficulty?
I would love to get a couple of cars dry iced, but the closest to me would be exactly 1000mi in any direction.
Originally Posted by cobalt
You can get into one for not much these days. They used to run about $7k on average. All depends on cabinet size. I used one similar to this I have access to 2 and they are all similar. The issue with Vapor honing is they are a high maintenance tool. That is why I prefer to borrow than buy.
I did the same. Borrowed some time on a machine at a local Indy shop (owners are friends,... so that scenario may not be so repeatable)

I do own a media blast cabinet (& a portable soda blast machine so I can do large items outside, like my late 60's muscle car gas tanks, etc). But that machine is much easier to maintain as Cobalt inferred.

But the difficulty to use is very low. easy peazy.

Oh,... and the shop I paid to do my dry-ice blasting is also only 20 minutes from me, so there's that. But at $500 per 500 lb bin of dry ice, plus the labor, it can get costly. Of course you can ask for the time/labor to do specifically the areas underneath that you want done,... but I my attitude was that I was only going to take the car apart to do this once,... so might as well have them really drill in on EVERY nook & cranny underneath the entire car.
(,,, obviously you'll want to take off ALL the underbody plastic trays beforehand too. While the dry-ice was being done, I used that time to ceramic coat the plastic too. I used a ceramic that allowed me to achieve a satin sheen,.. which still may not look exactly like factory un-touched plastic,... but I don't really care about that. What I DO care about is how easy that plastic now sheds any & all dirt when I drive. Amazing how clean my 14 underbody pieces remain)

Here's another pic I found ... front steering rack (after dry-ice)...

heliolps2 (02-06-2024), Igooz (02-01-2024)

Quick Reply: New to me Forest Green 964T