Notices
964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

964 Turbo market

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2024 | 09:25 AM
RapidGT
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cobalt
Give me a break. I want some of what these guys are smoking. Full restoration on a supposedly low mileage car and an $85k bill for $35k worth of work. I guess they think if they pump up the rebuild cost it will entice people to buy? I don't get it!!!!

​​​​​​https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...mpaign_2648441
It’s amazing to me a car with supposedly this low of mileage needed this work and cost so much for it. Remember there was a 993 Turbo that showed 5k miles that Canepa did work on that totaled at $210k!

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...-911-turbo-85/
Old 09-21-2024 | 11:19 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Scott Dunavant
Anthony, I just pulled a trans back out of a 997S after trying to bleed the master cylinder 50 times. Then decided to replace both S &M cylinder. Properly bled it. Still couldn't get the car into gear. Took the pressure plate off and on again and again to find out the internal springs of the New Pressure plate were budging out. 30 hours chasing one stupid bad part. PARTS today are F'n horrible. I would expect to see constant over charging because of the bull**** shops have to go through when they know that owner can afford to pay. BUT yes that receipt doesn't add up. May be the exhaust does. Custom Fab work takes time. You know.

Scott, I thoroughly understand the trials and tribulations of working on older 911's. I have been doing so for 45 years. My blue meanie project was in worse shape than your turbo when I started. However this is supposedly a 21.5k mile car? Also overcharging due to a shop not properly quoting a job should be on their shoulders. If this car truly has only 21.5k miles than why on earth was 90% of the work done needed? It had to be in amazingly poor condition, far worse than yours or has 21.5k miles since the work was done. It just screams to me a car that has no documented miles and had the odo turned back and everything refreshed or abandoned and restored. The "new" $7700 exhaust is far from new and has seen at least 10k of driving. It took my B&B exhaust that long to look the same, yet the paperwork says it has roughly 200 miles on it??? Same for the shocks which show corrosion at only 200 miles? It will probably be a good driver but far from an honest car. There are no dates on any of the receipts but one. The pricing is done in a very unconventional way. $6300 to restore 21k mile speedlines and they used RH bolts then add another $472.50 to make speedline decals? Why not send them off to Jim and have them done properly? The pricing on everything is far more than any dealership and high end shop I know would charge and trust me I see what my son bills out his classic customers, he is in charge of all classics. Even he laughed when I showed him this.

Unless this car had 121.5k miles or sat in a swamp for a long time there should be absolutely no need for 90% of the work done and parts repalced. Several items double charged. Why would you need new rockers or cams? $1608 for an $800 set of ignition wires. Worn clutch? 9 tail light gaskets when the new tail lights come with gaskets and only 5 are used, They listed every type from new to old designs. Remove old dye from the seats, (where they dyed previously by someone else) If you look the seats show wear signs on the passenger & drivers bolsters shift **** etc. My 928 has 67k miles has the same color interior, half the wear and are original. All that engine work and it looks like it hasn't been touched in 40k miles. Adding up the bills I come up with $181,590.55, Englewood just did a full ST restomod which won the Regional Classic competition and will probably win National and I can assure you the cost to do everything from stem to stern including real ST flairs motec and so much more wasn't all that much more. Not including the donor car.

I have looked over too many of these and nothing I see seems honest about this car. At these prices all the hardwares should have been cad plated. Engine fan painted and the work done to a higher standard. If I had to bet my guess would be other than paintwork nothing was done too the engine. I don't believe one word I read and at $240 hourly rate and total charged this is abysmal.

As I see it 1+1=3.6T money which someone s trying to grab.
Old 09-22-2024 | 02:27 PM
Scott Dunavant
Banned

Anthony, Yes, The one main ingredient that's missing and proving you are correct .....NO pictures of that work being done.
---------- They like to prove us wrong. So let's see all the pictures. ----------
Charging a client big bucks. Everything is photographed today.

Scott, I thoroughly understand the trials and tribulations of working on older 911's. I have been doing so for 45 years. My blue meanie project was in worse shape than your turbo when I started. However this is supposedly a 21.5k mile car? Also overcharging due to a shop not properly quoting a job should be on their shoulders. If this car truly has only 21.5k miles than why on earth was 90% of the work done needed? It had to be in amazingly poor condition, far worse than yours or has 21.5k miles since the work was done. It just screams to me a car that has no documented miles and had the odo turned back and everything refreshed or abandoned and restored. The "new" $7700 exhaust is far from new and has seen at least 10k of driving. It took my B&B exhaust that long to look the same, yet the paperwork says it has roughly 200 miles on it??? Same for the shocks which show corrosion at only 200 miles? It will probably be a good driver but far from an honest car. There are no dates on any of the receipts but one. The pricing is done in a very unconventional way. $6300 to restore 21k mile speedlines and they used RH bolts then add another $472.50 to make speedline decals? Why not send them off to Jim and have them done properly? The pricing on everything is far more than any dealership and high end shop I know would charge and trust me I see what my son bills out his classic customers, he is in charge of all classics. Even he laughed when I showed him this.

Unless this car had 121.5k miles or sat in a swamp for a long time there should be absolutely no need for 90% of the work done and parts repalced. Several items double charged. Why would you need new rockers or cams? $1608 for an $800 set of ignition wires. Worn clutch? 9 tail light gaskets when the new tail lights come with gaskets and only 5 are used, They listed every type from new to old designs. Remove old dye from the seats, (where they dyed previously by someone else) If you look the seats show wear signs on the passenger & drivers bolsters shift **** etc. My 928 has 67k miles has the same color interior, half the wear and are original. All that engine work and it looks like it hasn't been touched in 40k miles. Adding up the bills I come up with $181,590.55, Englewood just did a full ST restomod which won the Regional Classic competition and will probably win National and I can assure you the cost to do everything from stem to stern including real ST flairs motec and so much more wasn't all that much more. Not including the donor car.

I have looked over too many of these and nothing I see seems honest about this car. At these prices all the hardwares should have been cad plated. Engine fan painted and the work done to a higher standard. If I had to bet my guess would be other than paintwork nothing was done too the engine. I don't believe one word I read and at $240 hourly rate and total charged this is abysmal.

As I see it 1+1=3.6T money which someone s trying to grab.
Old 09-22-2024 | 03:30 PM
wicks
Rennlist Member

Googling the vin all that turned up is this previous sale offer, with one very bad picture. Not sure but my eye is landing on some possible odd waviness in the front bumper, some oddly faded bits of plastic, etc.

https://topclassiccarsforsale.com/po...-turbo-36.html
Old 09-22-2024 | 06:15 PM
RapidGT
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wicks
Googling the vin all that turned up is this previous sale offer, with one very bad picture. Not sure but my eye is landing on some possible odd waviness in the front bumper, some oddly faded bits of plastic, etc.

https://topclassiccarsforsale.com/po...-turbo-36.html
I have other photos of this car when it was with Porsche Huntington. Think it was in 2016 or 2017.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
WP0AC2962RS480235.pdf (1.34 MB, 22 views)
Old 09-23-2024 | 10:14 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RapidGT
I have other photos of this car when it was with Porsche Huntington. Think it was in 2016 or 2017.
Looks to me like this auction should be pulled. I see nothing that supports any of the work done or reasoning why it was needed at such low miles??? AI is selling this car and claims they did all the work except paint with no photos of the car before or during?? Their billing is padded extensively and the photos show anything but new parts and signs of the work claimed to have been performed. Based on the pics from Huntington I see no reason for paintwork. Even if done they have padded the pricing tremendously to make it seem like a ton of money was dumped into this car. If they are the shop doing the work than not a chance they paid remotely closet to any of the prices listed. The big head scratcher, why if they just swapped the exhaust which I doubt, wouldn't you keep the original? No photos of the etchings or stencils on the wheels and signs of wear and tear on the interior. I can go on but that is enough for me to walk. It could be a fine car but this is a new name for me to put on my list of who not to deal with. I can't trust a thing they claim.

I did notice it appears the frunk floor pan was either replaced or just fresh undercoating. Maybe it is possible something happened there and is not being mentioned? In any case this car needs to be looked over very very carefully if interested.

Someone should ask for leak down and compression numbers?
The following users liked this post:
Scott Dunavant (09-23-2024)
Old 09-23-2024 | 12:26 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Itll get 300k+

New breed of buyers dont have the attention to detail or focus to figure that stuff out
Old 09-23-2024 | 12:44 PM
das76
Pro

The $85k work (inc engine rebuild) was done by Formula Motorsports who seem to be a dedicated Porsche shop in NY. I would hope any prospective buyer would be smart enough to call them and ask!
AI Design, however don't seem to be a dedicated P shop - per their website at least - they list lots of other projects.
Old 09-23-2024 | 01:25 PM
wicks
Rennlist Member

I think from those addtl pictures I'm seeing front right fender respray (or replacement fender) and crooked/knocked down front bumper that will no longer fit correctly. All the front end plastics look faded or it could also be lazy paintwork and there's overspray and/or it was removed with a chemical that bleached those trim pieces.

Maybe the rationale for a repaint was to fix prior bad work / bad blends and get the front end straightened out (incld perhaps that front pan re-do. In any case, all should be disclosed as you say Anthony, as well as maybe proof that someone actually paid those invoices haha.

Last edited by wicks; 09-23-2024 at 01:33 PM.
Old 09-23-2024 | 11:39 PM
Scott Dunavant
Banned

I love the part where it says cut down the windshield glass to properly fit. That's what I went through. Had to use 993 glass. 964 Seals have never worked. We could only install 964 glass with used seals.

No chip guard on rear quarters! 23 k miles and full restoration usually means miles are off. All the coatings are off the engine at 23k miles. I doubt it.

Cobalt is on to something

Looks to me like this auction should be pulled. I see nothing that supports any of the work done or reasoning why it was needed at such low miles??? AI is selling this car and claims they did all the work except paint with no photos of the car before or during?? Their billing is padded extensively and the photos show anything but new parts and signs of the work claimed to have been performed. Based on the pics from Huntington I see no reason for paintwork. Even if done they have padded the pricing tremendously to make it seem like a ton of money was dumped into this car. If they are the shop doing the work than not a chance they paid remotely closet to any of the prices listed. The big head scratcher, why if they just swapped the exhaust which I doubt, wouldn't you keep the original? No photos of the etchings or stencils on the wheels and signs of wear and tear on the interior. I can go on but that is enough for me to walk. It could be a fine car but this is a new name for me to put on my list of who not to deal with. I can't trust a thing they claim.

I did notice it appears the frunk floor pan was either replaced or just fresh undercoating. Maybe it is possible something happened there and is not being mentioned? In any case this car needs to be looked over very very carefully if interested.

Someone should ask for leak down and compression numbers?
Old 09-24-2024 | 09:48 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by audipwr1
Itll get 300k+

New breed of buyers don't have the attention to detail or focus to figure that stuff out
At the end of the day it is one of 335 US imported 3.6T's. I suspect it will sell for more than it should. So many don't care and send it off after the purchase to be reworked and figure when done it will be like a new car.

Originally Posted by das76
The $85k work (inc engine rebuild) was done by Formula Motorsports who seem to be a dedicated Porsche shop in NY. I would hope any prospective buyer would be smart enough to call them and ask!
AI Design, however don't seem to be a dedicated P shop - per their website at least - they list lots of other projects.
My bad on that one I saw the other bills from AI and it got garbled together. I was trying to figure out where i heard of Formula Motorsports. I will keep my comments of what I have heard to myself however I have never seen an engine rebuild, billed like that before. There are things that make no sense and we have them replacing tires when the AI bill shows the same. The engine had everything you could replaced done when at 21.4k miles it is unfathomable why. I have rebuilt engines with over 125k miles not needing many of the things replaced. I would guess they are claiming 90 hours to do the work based on the $22k rebuild cost all the parts are current MSRP or more and the workmanship shows it isn't recent. So nothing adds up.

Originally Posted by Scott Dunavant
I love the part where it says cut down the windshield glass to properly fit. That's what I went through. Had to use 993 glass. 964 Seals have never worked. We could only install 964 glass with used seals.

No chip guard on rear quarters! 23 k miles and full restoration usually means miles are off. All the coatings are off the engine at 23k miles. I doubt it.

Cobalt is on to something
I never had issues with the factory seals until the past few years. I have always been able to install front and rear glasses one shot today I am lucky if i can get them to fit at all. I recently found out even the Porsche dealerships aren't using some factory seals due to their poor quality.
Old 09-26-2024 | 04:07 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Give me a break. I want some of what these guys are smoking. Full restoration on a supposedly low mileage car and an $85k bill for $35k worth of work. I guess they think if they pump up the rebuild cost it will entice people to buy? I don't get it!!!!

​​​​​​https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...mpaign_2648441
I don't want to be "that guy", but a lot of work was done to this car, and most of it was not done correctly!
  • It received a "complete" paint job - but you can easily tell that the door jams, trunk opening, and engine area was NOT painted! There are scratches and swirls and such. This also means 100% that you will tape lines!!!! I will also bet that there was no respect on the original paint manufacturer and the clear coat. The exterior looks like it has 5 coats of clear, which would be nice on a 1932 Ford HotRod!
  • Looking at the rear glass, it looks to me that the seal may not have been pulled when the car was painted also!
  • What happened to the Big Reds?
  • Option code shows polished SpeedLines, but the wheel centers are painted and not satin polished
  • Engine was supposedly "rebuilt" with a ton of money spent, but they re-used the same filthy, corroded fasteners. Only a slob would do that.
  • The car does not have catalytic converters on it, and it seems like the seller should comment on that?
  • I can go on…
I know, it is always about "Standards & Expectations"...and yeah, I know this was a $60K in 2000. Today we are in a different world.

Last edited by Igooz; 09-26-2024 at 05:51 PM.
Old 09-27-2024 | 09:24 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Igooz
I don't want to be "that guy", but a lot of work was done to this car, and most of it was not done correctly!
  • It received a "complete" paint job - but you can easily tell that the door jams, trunk opening, and engine area was NOT painted! There are scratches and swirls and such. This also means 100% that you will tape lines!!!! I will also bet that there was no respect on the original paint manufacturer and the clear coat. The exterior looks like it has 5 coats of clear, which would be nice on a 1932 Ford HotRod!
  • Looking at the rear glass, it looks to me that the seal may not have been pulled when the car was painted also!
  • What happened to the Big Reds?
  • Option code shows polished SpeedLines, but the wheel centers are painted and not satin polished
  • Engine was supposedly "rebuilt" with a ton of money spent, but they re-used the same filthy, corroded fasteners. Only a slob would do that.
  • The car does not have catalytic converters on it, and it seems like the seller should comment on that?
  • I can go on…
I know, it is always about "Standards & Expectations"...and yeah, I know this was a $60K in 2000. Today we are in a different world.
I asked about the exhaust and they made some excuse that most states don't test. So?? Yet if it was recently repalced why wouldn't you keep it? Also the B&B exhaust has thousands of miles on it to look like that. It took mine a long time to change color and this car shows as though it has many thousands instead of just 1,300 miles since the refresh. I would need to see other black calipers from that era. I only know of a handful including the bad boys car that had exclusive option code Z95 changing them to black. It is possible this car wears that code. It might be listed under some of the exclusive options. However they switched from the larger font used up until early 93 on the 928 and the 3.3L turbos to the smaller font. This car wears the larger font. . I can't find much about this car that is honest. It might be a nice car but far from original and just far too many unanswered questions.

AFAIK all the 3.6T's came with this font and not the larger font of the earlier turbos

Even this 93 3.8RS had the smaller font

The use of and spending supposedly $1600 to source RH bolts on speedlines devalues the wheels irrespective of the possible color change. One has to wonder if they are speedlines or RH's with a custom decal? Interesting that they don't show any of the etchings. BTW my 3.6T has the smaller font and is an earlier build.

We can go on for days. The what is right list is far shorter than the what is wrong.
The following users liked this post:
Igooz (09-27-2024)
Old 09-28-2024 | 02:38 PM
RapidGT
Rennlist Member

Speed Yellow/black RoW 3.6 for sale in Germany. This example has no sunroof and 128k km (79k miles). Price is €460k ($514k).

https://www.elferspot.com/en/car/por...-1993-4054472/
Old 09-28-2024 | 09:01 PM
wicks
Rennlist Member

Wow the black mess got $390K, amazing. Mine must be worth 650 now hah. I removed the H5s and polished and waxed the first paint in the buckets to a mirror shine this morning, installed fresh gaskets and drain tubes.

Quick Reply: 964 Turbo market