Notices
964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

964 Turbo market

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2022 | 07:40 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cobalt
^^ I don't see this happening and we are still seeing new record highs for many models daily. There are far more interested buyers than cars available. Pristine 928 S4's and GT's are selling for what GTS's were not long ago and some GTS's are hitting new highs. Narrow body 993's selling for $120k to $200k money only S's were seeing not long ago. 964 cabs have recently traded for 6 figures. Even in this BS economy. $100k 964 turbo might happen but it will be a car that needs $100k in work or has a tweaked tub needing even more work. I wouldn't hold out if you want one. The last time someone said the market was turning it did an about face and shot right up again. They just aren't making anymore and everyone wants a classic in this world of high tech over complicated computer games they call cars.

I see a lot of Japanese cars that were cheap new now needing engine work that costs nearly as much as rebuilding an air-cooled can see, yet people keep spending to fix them even though they won't fetch 911 money. The market isn't cooling off the buyers are just becoming more educated and as Sy Syms used to say an educated consumer is his best customer. It was bound to happen the masses learned that just because the car is a XXXX it doesn't mean they are all worth a premium only the right cars the next you have to factor in deferred maintenance and hidden issues.
smart folks can agree to disagree - but when the entire used collector car market pops 50% in two years - I can tell you history would say it’s coming down hard.
Old 10-22-2022 | 08:13 PM
Scott Dunavant
Banned

It's a global market with BAT. I'd rather the US hit Auto exports with 25% sales tax to keep Collector cars and scrap salvage cars in the US. Salvage cars export is another story.
Old 10-23-2022 | 09:37 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by audipwr1
smart folks can agree to disagree - but when the entire used collector car market pops 50% in two years - I can tell you history would say it’s coming down hard.
We are all full of our opinions. I have been pretty accurate over the past 40+ years when it comes to picking and evaluating these cars I guess there is always a first. This had all the earmarks of the 80's grey market which I was heavily involved in. But it is quite different at the same time. Watching the market all these years it has been fairly predictable. What I see tells me a 50% drop isn't happening at least not across the board. If it does we will have far bigger issues to deal with other than the value of a 911.

I guess we will have to wait and see. It doesn't impact me as I don't have any interest in selling at any price.
Old 10-24-2022 | 10:41 AM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cobalt
We are all full of our opinions. I have been pretty accurate over the past 40+ years when it comes to picking and evaluating these cars I guess there is always a first. This had all the earmarks of the 80's grey market which I was heavily involved in. But it is quite different at the same time. Watching the market all these years it has been fairly predictable. What I see tells me a 50% drop isn't happening at least not across the board. If it does we will have far bigger issues to deal with other than the value of a 911.

I guess we will have to wait and see. It doesn't impact me as I don't have any interest in selling at any price.
Ah we are saying the same thing then - I own a handful of cars ranging from "cheap" Japanese imports to a 1 of 2 987 spyder - every single forum of a nostalgic car has the message of "people discovered this car finally and now its fairly valued" - well there is a TAM issue with that comment as if every car has popped a ton then there arent enough actual loing term investors and enthusiasts out there to effectuate all the trades - there are "traders" assuming the price will continue to raise and they will make money. When traders drive a market - a market always eventually falls and falls hard.

All markets have traders (short term), investors (long term), and finally for leisure products enthusiasts (hey its worth more which is cool, but im going to own this till I die). The other key differentiator of a trader is in most markets they dont actually care about the underlying security - they care about the momentum. So if momentum stops they freak out and sell.

What happened to the car market is the same as the watch market - traders came in seeing that prices had been genetly increasing for years - and you "couldnt lose money" so began to pay more and more. Watch market is first as the products are cheaper, and more liquid. That is down hard already: https://watchcharts.com/watches/bran...daytona?page=1

This is what creates a market failure in the markets (see crypto, see 08 housing recession, see 09 muscle car market)

What does this all mean? Not much - I paid 70k for an integra type R that would have been 20k 3 years ago. but certainly dont go to bed thinking recently acquired collector cars are your key to retirement! Also as I add cars to my forever collection I am personally waiting now for some more market correction as one doesnt NEED any of these things, we just WANT them!

Last edited by audipwr1; 10-24-2022 at 10:45 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by audipwr1:
bweSteve (10-24-2022), ianbsears (10-24-2022)
Old 10-24-2022 | 04:04 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

very well said
Old 10-24-2022 | 06:40 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Found this on the Pelicanparts classifieds: https://forums.pelicanparts.com/pors...911-turbo.html
"I'm not selling because the car has a broken head stud....." 91,000 miles.
$169,000 + an engine rebuild
That's gonna be a tough sell in this market.
This would make a good project car at the right price.
Old 10-24-2022 | 06:49 PM
Scott Dunavant
Banned

I also have a broken head stud. But while you are in there you'll be spending
at least $25,000
The following 2 users liked this post by Scott Dunavant:
ianbsears (10-25-2022), Metal Guru (10-24-2022)
Old 10-24-2022 | 06:49 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Metal Guru
Found this on the Pelicanparts classifieds: https://forums.pelicanparts.com/pors...911-turbo.html
"I'm not selling because the car has a broken head stud....." 91,000 miles.
$169,000 + an engine rebuild
That's gonna be a tough sell in this market.
This would make a good project car at the right price.
ya he’s been trying to sell it all year - the Bat car last week with 107k miles made it to 132 with a fresh engine rebuild but it also had a minor (but documented) accident
Old 10-25-2022 | 11:56 PM
Scott Dunavant
Banned

It's sad when the car you are buying needs a $6000 detail.
Old 10-26-2022 | 09:14 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Scott Dunavant
It's sad when the car you are buying needs a $6000 detail.
It is worse when the car is sold as original paint and some flipper had the entire car sanded down and repainted. Despite the numbers reading properly a trained eye can tell. That is the case with several of the 965's that sold on BaT including one of the ones that sold for the most $$. I saw the car a year or so before the BaT seller purchased it and there was no way that the car was not a full respray. Irrespective of miles (assuming that is real) the car is not original and brought a huge premium. Many of the Japanese cars are painted and sold as original paint. I have seen many of these cars up close and the lack of honesty is frightening. Many of the repeat offenders are well known and respected by the masses but if you have seen some of the product I have seen boy would your stomach turn. Best yet are the volumes of lies they try to sell the poor fool who purchased the car. One was so bad we found that they had JB welded the ground strap to the tub since the ground stud had broken off when they forgot to disconnect it when dropping the engine to fix issues they claim they never did. Yet I have supporting photos showing the engine out of the car at the shop they use with the stud still attached to the strap still connected to the starter. The so called original paint metered 12mils with 2 color changes. One change and the second returned to original color. The $6k ice blasting/polish seems to go over well with the buyers today. I personally would prefer them as they were and would prefer to clean them myself. Appearances seem to mean so much to buyers irrespective of the truth.

Many original paint cars I see are original but in dire need of a respray or recieve a full detail just prior to selling. The damage is so bad from years of neglect that the readings are dangerously close to burning through to the primer. I love it when I see cars with 100k miles, original paint and no stone chips whatsoever and never had PPF. I can't take my C2 out without needing to fix a new stone chip each time I drive it and I am very careful. I am lucky the original owner of my turbo had PPF applied back in 1994 otherwise I would have the same problem.
The following users liked this post:
Scott Dunavant (11-06-2022)
Old 10-29-2022 | 08:07 AM
RapidGT
Rennlist Member

Price of this 90k-mile Guards Red 3.6 Turbo lowered to $275k. Looks like a good deal on this driver 3.6.

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds...o/2631616.html
Old 10-29-2022 | 12:43 PM
wicks
Rennlist Member

Bought my D90 from those guys they seem to be pretty good people. Was looking for a zero rust Coniston green example that's where I found it.

This 3.6 looks like it was with someone not much an eye for detail but plenty to spend rebuilding/replacing parts and such. I'd look at the rear deck lid not fitting, go nuts with a paint meter, maybe re-do the re-done seats, toss the wrong color floor mats, re-do the badly done clips, new seals rocker covers...
Old 10-29-2022 | 04:13 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

If the money was spent on the right things, it's a car that won't need much more than cosmetic work, for sure.
Old 10-30-2022 | 09:01 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

The rear end has me concerned as well. Although for the price? I do see no rock chips over the rear hips and it has the short ppf from the turbo S. I highly doubt after 90k miles you will find original paint.
Old 11-04-2022 | 08:02 AM
RapidGT
Rennlist Member

Black/black 3.6 Turbo S “Package” Car with 41k miles. 1 of 17 built with the X88 power kit and without the X85 flachbau front. For me the ultimate Porsche 911 Turbo.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...rbo-s-package/
The following users liked this post:
ianbsears (11-04-2022)

Quick Reply: 964 Turbo market