Sponsored by:

Engine Bay Sans Sound Pad

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2016, 12:10 PM
MrNvgtr
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine Bay Sans Sound Pad

Hello, long time no post. I'm taking my 964 in to the mechanic for a much needed valve adjustment, which got me thinking about other 'while they're in there' opportunities, one of which being removing my ugly disintegrated sound pad.

For anyone who's done this, can you simply remove it and just give it a detail under there? Or, is it much nastier, like with stuck goo and other crap that would require a more mechanical removal process?

And for anyone else, here's your opportunity to show off your nice bare engine bays (sans sound pad).

Please no Singer engine bays please. I've seen enough and that's too depressing since I'll never be able to achieve that.
Old 12-23-2016, 12:19 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

I wouldn't call it mechanical, but getting all the glue off is gonna be a labor intensive process that involves some solvents.

Google 993 Cup motor or 964 Cup motor for pics of bare firewalls. It looks cooler if the car is white or blue or red or something interesting.

I replaced my engine pad with the appbiz track pad that is basically foil on both sides, so the foil functions brighten up things a bit.
Old 12-23-2016, 01:17 PM
MrNvgtr
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vandit
I wouldn't call it mechanical, but getting all the glue off is gonna be a labor intensive process that involves some solvents.

Google 993 Cup motor or 964 Cup motor for pics of bare firewalls. It looks cooler if the car is white or blue or red or something interesting.

I replaced my engine pad with the appbiz track pad that is basically foil on both sides, so the foil functions brighten up things a bit.
You're right. It does look better on lighter colored cars. Mine being oak green metallic would appear just as dark and dirty as it currently does with the old sound pad. Until I eventually do an engine rebuild and install nicer looking components and delete a bunch of stuff (i.e. A/C), might as well install a fresh new sound pad. Mechanic now has that ordered along with the plugs, wires, and whatever else might be needed with this job.

Well that kind of ruins my original intent with this thread. Thanks for the advice though.
Old 12-23-2016, 01:30 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

The appbiz track style pad will brighten it up.

Old 12-23-2016, 03:11 PM
964Andrew
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 48 Posts

This is what it looks like when it's only cleaned up.

Thanks!
Andrew
Old 12-23-2016, 05:46 PM
Super90
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

When I pulled my sound pad there was lots of adhesive left on the sheet metal.

Cleaning all that off does take a lot of effort. However, to put in the new pad, you need to remove most of it anyway. I installed the AppBiz Delux Pad, which takes a little more effort as it is a bit thicker than OE, so all the fasteners need more fiddling.

Here's where it was toward the end of all the fitting.

Old 12-24-2016, 01:10 AM
kreeshp
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I posted a thread about removing the sound pad in my 964: https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...e-remover.html

This was the final result:
Old 12-24-2016, 10:30 AM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 130 Posts

Much better solution than trying to pull the pad and adhesive out, IMO.

https://rennlist.com/forums/911-forum/894393-the-pad-keeper.html
Old 12-24-2016, 03:22 PM
Super90
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by bonehead
Much better solution than trying to pull the pad and adhesive out, IMO.

https://rennlist.com/forums/911-foru...ad-keeper.html
Did the pad keeper for a little while, but, my pad was disintegrating too much for that to be a real solution, sooooo.......new pad installed !!

Quick Reply: Engine Bay Sans Sound Pad