Engine sound pad adhesive removed with 3M Specialty Adhesive Remover - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Go Back  Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums > Air/Oil Cooled Technical Discussion Areas > 964 Forum
Reload this Page >

Engine sound pad adhesive removed with 3M Specialty Adhesive Remover

Notices
964 Forum
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Engine sound pad adhesive removed with 3M Specialty Adhesive Remover

 
Old 02-15-2015, 09:17 PM
  #1  
kreeshp
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 610
Default Engine sound pad adhesive removed with 3M Specialty Adhesive Remover

After reading the dozen plus threads here and on Pelicanparts.com on the pros and cons of deleting the engine sound pad, I decided today that I will delete mine when my rebuilt engine goes back into my 964 in a few weeks.

My car will be driven weekends 75% of its time, and daily driven the other 25%, so it isn't critical that I have the quietest or coolest interior. Afterall, this will be the Fun Car and I want to hear the engine that I've paid a lot of money to rebuild. I also like the esthetics of a bare engine bay with body color visible behind the engine.

Before cleaning:








I picked up a can of 3M Specialty Adhesive Remover this morning. $19.99 from my local hardware store.





One rag and three hours later, these are the results:









I'll do one final clean and wax before the engine goes back in but overall, I'm happy with the initial results.
kreeshp is offline  
Old 02-15-2015, 09:26 PM
  #2  
Shamstar
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Shamstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: London
Posts: 104
Default

What a result, looks spot on!!!
Shamstar is offline  
Old 02-15-2015, 09:59 PM
  #3  
LPMM
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
LPMM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: DFW, Texas
Posts: 1,869
Default

Looks so clean, great looking engine bay without the sound pad.
LPMM is offline  
Old 02-16-2015, 12:14 AM
  #4  
hepkat63
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
hepkat63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Australia
Posts: 660
Default

great job ! I have had my engine pad out for a year now - don't miss it at all ! There wasn't much glue left where the pad had been in my engine bay, but which left, i can't get too without an engine drop. Will keep this stuff in mind.
Q: can you spray this stuff on a rag, then wipe the glue, or do you spray it on the glue then wipe off?
hepkat63 is offline  
Old 02-16-2015, 12:34 AM
  #5  
kreeshp
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 610
Default

Originally Posted by hepkat63 View Post
Q: can you spray this stuff on a rag, then wipe the glue, or do you spray it on the glue then wipe off?
The instructions on the can say to spray onto a clean cloth or paper towel, then apply to the surface, but I sprayed directly onto the glue, waited 30-60 seconds, then rubbed. Lots of rubbing was needed.
kreeshp is offline  
Old 06-08-2015, 10:00 PM
  #6  
kreeshp
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 610
Default

Final photo with the engine re-installed to close out the thread.

10/10 would leave out the sound pad again if given the choice.
Attached Images  
kreeshp is offline  
Old 06-09-2015, 03:42 AM
  #7  
robt964
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
robt964's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Bucks
Posts: 1,606
Default

Looks great. Now you've gotta cut the studs off.
robt964 is offline  
Old 06-09-2015, 04:11 AM
  #8  
kreeshp
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 610
Default

In case the next owner wants to re-install the pad, I'll be leaving the studs.
kreeshp is offline  
Old 06-09-2015, 05:56 AM
  #9  
Undutched
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Undutched's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 316
Default

OMFG!!!!!!

Just what I need for the interior!!!! Jesus f"ž$%n Christ!!! I love you!!!
Undutched is online now  
Old 06-09-2015, 06:32 AM
  #10  
GeorgeK
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 466
Default

Don't eant to remove the studs? If you have some spare windshield washer tubing, cut sections 1/8" longer than the studs, and press them on the studs. That way you'll avoid some nasty scratches when working on the engine.
GeorgeK is offline  
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine sound pad adhesive removed with 3M Specialty Adhesive Remover


Contact Us About Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: