Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

100000 Miles service, do it your self.........

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2003, 09:49 AM
Arjan B.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I brought my front rotors to a shop who makes the 100% straigt. I just got them back from them, and they where not 100% straight he said. So that means that this could be the fibration in the steering wheel with touching the brake pedal light then. It was very hard to get them of the car a few weeks ago, I had to use a hammer to remove them. Banging not on the outside of the diks but on the heart of the disk, may be someting happened there. I will test that tonight.............. May be it's fine now, may be not.... then I damaged something with replacing the 2 wheel bolts on the left side.........

We'll see
Old 11-24-2003, 10:07 AM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Arjan,

Just a trick I always used after a similar experience once.

Although it wont work on 4wd systems unless you an get all the wheels off the deck.
I had a car that had seriously rusted disk that would not come off, even with severe hammer work (they were knackered before I started).
So I jacked the car up, left the calipers on and started the engine, put it in gear and got the wheels spinning, applied the brakes until they were uniformly hot, then took a mallet and tapped them off.
I had previously tried a blowtorch, but it didn't provide the uniform heat the disks required to move.
Bit risky with the car on jacks and the enging running, but if you are careful it can work.

kevin
Old 11-24-2003, 10:44 AM
Arjan B.
Drifting

Made a test drive in my coffee brake..........
Everything fine now, no fibrations anymore, drove to 100 miles/h and still smooth and stabile!
pppffttttttt.............. I am happy, no more damage after all. The car brakes fine and has no difficulties anymore.

I was very carefull with doing the work, but you never now.
Old 11-24-2003, 11:44 AM
Jeff Midili
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Arjan B.
I brought my front rotors to a shop who makes the 100% straigt. I just got them back from them, and they where not 100% straight he said. So that means that this could be the fibration in the steering wheel with touching the brake pedal light then. It was very hard to get them of the car a few weeks ago, I had to use a hammer to remove them. Banging not on the outside of the diks but on the heart of the disk, may be someting happened there. I will test that tonight.............. May be it's fine now, may be not.... then I damaged something with replacing the 2 wheel bolts on the left side.........

We'll see
Arjan,

When you removed the rotors did you screw 8mm bolts into the two holes on the rotor? If you use these the rotors should pop right off. I found that the threads on my hole were so filled with crud I actually used a 7mm bolt first to clean them and then was able to screw in an 8mm bolt. The rotors pop right off no problem.

Jeff
Old 11-24-2003, 12:16 PM
Arjan B.
Drifting

The two screws that hold the rotors in place when the wheels are off, could I gett off pretty easy. Take a screw driver that fits in the screws, put the screw driver on the screw, and give a bang with the hammer on the screw driver. There are screw drivers they make a turn when you hit them.
Use lots of grease for those things with installing them!!
Old 11-24-2003, 05:04 PM
Arjan B.
Drifting

Dave K,

The ring between the sender and the engine is a aluminium, the same sort as you use for the oil drain plugs. Normally if you tight it wll, it will never untight again. I will look closer after a few weeks to that, thanks!
Old 11-25-2003, 06:46 AM
Arjan B.
Drifting

This morning I refreshed a part of the power steering fluid. I sucked a 1/4 liter out of the container for the fluid, next to the oil filter.
A 1/4 liter of fresh Dextron 2 fluid will clean the rest of the oil in the system. Next week I will do the procedure a second time. So I refresh the system without unscrew any parts. It workes fine.
Old 11-25-2003, 08:12 AM
johnfm
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Arjan

Jeff was right. You don't need a hammer. There are holes in the disc/hub which are BLIND,ie, they don't line up with a hole in the hub. This is so you can 'press' the disc off. You need an 8mm bolt - just take one off your seat rails!! These 8mm bolts screw into the blind holes. AS you screw it in, it pushes the discs off. REALLY easy - thats what the holes are there for.
Old 11-25-2003, 08:37 AM
Arjan B.
Drifting

O.k. John,

Thanks, I will use that the next time!
Old 11-25-2003, 09:29 AM
Arjan B.
Drifting

Jeff,

I completely mis understood what you ment, I tought that you where talking about the two screws who hold the diks in place.......... sorry. John made me think......
Old 11-26-2003, 06:17 AM
Arjan B.
Drifting

Got my service book stamped off. I buy all the original parts at their place, so I asked friendly, and they know the car, so they said only because it's a good car and w know the history......

Nice guys!
Old 11-27-2003, 03:35 AM
Arjan B.
Drifting

I notice that a lot of 964 owners don't drive in the winter.....
I can understand that, but on the other side, all you need is a set of winter tires for the regions where the weather could be bad. The car is protected agains rust because of zinc, so rust should be no issue.

I drive all weather, no exeption. Snow, rain only when the big whtie ***** come out the sky, I will hide somewhere under...........
Old 11-27-2003, 08:14 PM
Dragracer Jack
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there Arjan..............
I see You finished your excelent job.
I will come over one of these day's for a drink (and a testdrive....haha).
See you soon.........
Old 11-29-2003, 03:10 AM
Arjan B.
Drifting

O.k. Jack,

You're welcome, then you can help with doing the laundry
Old 12-02-2003, 04:12 AM
Arjan B.
Drifting

Problems....... oil leak on the left side near cilinder 3, please see topic about the leak.

Quick Reply: 100000 Miles service, do it your self.........