"...I'm just ordering a few final parts for..."

SpyerX clearly have trouble understanding the words in bold
"The never ending build thread"
Old 02-18-2016, 06:04 AM
Rancie
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Is he for hire? I'm sure he'd like to hang out in LA for a few days :-)

Today ordered what I hope is the last of the parts I need outside a few minor bits. Have a big pile ready to go when car goes to shop. Ordered a secondary oil cooler, new rear lens/lights and gaskets, new light bulbs all around, new belts for the rothsport pulley kit I'm installing, a few misc parts, and a wing. Going to give the narrow rsr Getty wing a go. Maybe I keep it maybe I keep it wingless. Not sure until I try it.
Ha! You realy arn't sure whether to add a wing or not are you?! I was exactly the same. Very glad that I kept mine without. I like that from the outside - other than the low ride height - it's difficult to tel that the car is not standard.

Either way, whatever you decide to do, with your attention to detail, i'm sure that the car will look lovely.
Old 02-18-2016, 01:00 PM
HalV
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Oh and oil cooler. It was mid 70s and after 15 mins the oil temp was about a needle width under the second bar (10 o'clock) it never went higher but a secondary cooler is now on the list. I run in hotter temps so it's going to be needed I think.
I'm sure you're a better driver than I am and pushing the car more than I do, but I'm a little surprised you're seeing these temps after only 15 minutes at 70 degrees F? Perhaps it's due to the lack of a very long straight at this track? What oil/wt are you using?
Old 02-18-2016, 01:13 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,638 Likes on 761 Posts

I added a second oil cooler for hot days. Now it stays cool, even if I put the AC radiator in front of the second oil cooler!
Old 02-18-2016, 01:41 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,237 Posts

Your heat must be hot. I would run my C2 for an hour straight 4 back to back sessions all day at the Glen with both my wife and I driving. No doubt I push the car much harder but my temp gage never was above normal even when it was in August above 90 degrees.

Are you sure your fan or thermostat sending the oil to the cooler working properly? Sometimes the thermostat below the oil tank will clog up and needs to be rebuilt.
Old 02-18-2016, 02:06 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I paid one of my lawn guys $200 cash to scrape all the glue out. Best money I have ever spent.

RE: oil coolers - have had 2 for many years and temps were helped by doing something that should have been obvious to me and also to the shop that installed - make sure all the holes around the cooler and everywhere are 100% closed/sealed so the air is forced through the cooler. It makes a difference - and chances are there are a few holes that need to be sealed.

That said I still may see 240 on a very hot day - like a 45 min sprint at VIR - but that that is rare.
Old 02-18-2016, 02:19 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,789 Likes on 1,089 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
Your heat must be hot. I would run my C2 for an hour straight 4 back to back sessions all day at the Glen with both my wife and I driving. No doubt I push the car much harder but my temp gage never was above normal even when it was in August above 90 degrees.

Are you sure your fan or thermostat sending the oil to the cooler working properly? Sometimes the thermostat below the oil tank will clog up and needs to be rebuilt.
Thermostat is functional, oil getting to the front, I do need to run a test cycle on the fan however, and ensure it's functional. it's on the list...

It was closer to 80 during the day and the shorter nature of the track I was wrapping out 2nd gear a lot.

Originally Posted by forklift
I paid one of my lawn guys $200 cash to scrape all the glue out. Best money I have ever spent.

RE: oil coolers - have had 2 for many years and temps were helped by doing something that should have been obvious to me and also to the shop that installed - make sure all the holes around the cooler and everywhere are 100% closed/sealed so the air is forced through the cooler. It makes a difference - and chances are there are a few holes that need to be sealed.

That said I still may see 240 on a very hot day - like a 45 min sprint at VIR - but that that is rare.
Good suggestions. The inside is very clean, so its not clogged up, but we'll be pulling the bumper and since I have these massive brakes on the car I'm thinking I may use my ducting to direct more air to the oil coolers instead... any thoughts on that?

Originally Posted by HalV
I'm sure you're a better driver than I am and pushing the car more than I do, but I'm a little surprised you're seeing these temps after only 15 minutes at 70 degrees F? Perhaps it's due to the lack of a very long straight at this track? What oil/wt are you using?
15-50 M1 synthetic. It was closer to 80 and the end of run the temp needle was about 10 o'clock so below the 3rd line and never got above the line.

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I added a second oil cooler for hot days. Now it stays cool, even if I put the AC radiator in front of the second oil cooler!
That's my plan, and what I ordered.

We'll see how this works and maybe I turn that soon to be non-functional rear wiper switch into a manual fan switch for the fans :-)

I won't be running this car a lot on the track, but it does get hot here in the desert during the summer and i HATE HEAT ISSUES. My Gt3 just runs, and runs, and runs. BMW buddies... 2 laps, done. 2 laps, done..... hate that.
Old 02-18-2016, 02:32 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I run w/ the stock brakes w/ no cooling and very rarely get a soft pedal - but do occasionally and (proper) cooling has been on the list for for many moons. I ran big brakes in 2012 (only) had 0.00 fade w/ the big brakes so yes I would direct as much to the coolers as possible esp if keeping a/c.

I use pfc fluid fwiw but also really liked Endless as well.
Old 02-18-2016, 05:45 PM
HalV
Rennlist Member

It was closer to 80 during the day and the shorter nature of the track I was wrapping out 2nd gear a lot.
My guess is that this had a lot to do with the higher temps. High revs and probably not enough air moving through the cooler at these speeds.
Old 02-19-2016, 12:10 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by forklift
I run w/ the stock brakes w/ no cooling and very rarely get a soft pedal - but do occasionally and (proper) cooling has been on the list for for many moons. I ran big brakes in 2012 (only) had 0.00 fade w/ the big brakes so yes I would direct as much to the coolers as possible esp if keeping a/c.

I use pfc fluid fwiw but also really liked Endless as well.
I am running brembo's race fluid and also use Endless. i've never had a soft pedal in any of my cars.

I'm thinking we will use the kit I got for the ducts to feed to the coolers.

Originally Posted by HalV
My guess is that this had a lot to do with the higher temps. High revs and probably not enough air moving through the cooler at these speeds.
Maybe.

Sunday Sunday Sunday.... TRACK DAY!!!! I'm going out again this weekend.

I'm going to put some brembo stickers and brake paint on my rotors and check temps. I'm going to guess they are barely operating in the optimal temp range.

That will give me some data to decide if I need the cooling or I use those ducts for the oil coolers.
Old 02-19-2016, 09:58 AM
HalV
Rennlist Member

Maybe.

Sunday Sunday Sunday.... TRACK DAY!!!! I'm going out again this weekend.

I'm going to put some brembo stickers and brake paint on my rotors and check temps. I'm going to guess they are barely operating in the optimal temp range.

That will give me some data to decide if I need the cooling or I use those ducts for the oil coolers.
Sounds like fun! I look forward to reading about your exploits.
Old 02-20-2016, 01:58 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Gassed up!

Brought car to joey today, pulled wheels off, flattened oil line a hair, did a little bit of clearancing on from liners... All looks good.

Old 02-20-2016, 02:58 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,635 Likes on 2,318 Posts

^ red never looked so good before.
Old 02-20-2016, 04:05 AM
Rephlex
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
^ red never looked so good before.
+964

Imagine that with a big wing, and please talk yourself out of it! . Looks spot on.

Quick Reply: My 964 C2 Transformation Build Thread