Sponsored by:

My 964 C2 Transformation Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 01:33 PM
HalV
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Vandit
I really don't know. If you look at a Singer's engine bay, most don't have any type of blower or duct to draw out hot air. On my car, I went one step further than deleting the blower in favor of the RS pipe. I installed a block off plate at the top of the shroud. So I don't even have heat anymore.
Do you run a tubing from the block off plate to the distributor?
Old 02-02-2016, 01:38 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Amber > Clear
+1
Old 02-02-2016, 01:40 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,236 Posts

Does anyone sell clear anymore? I have not seen them for sale since last fall anywhere.
Old 02-02-2016, 01:43 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by HalV
Do you run a tubing from the block off plate to the distributor?
Yup, two vent tubes come off of the block off plate, one to the distributor and one to the taillights.

Name:  IMG_20150903_185221_01_zpsq2dbfrle.jpeg
Views: 1883
Size:  278.7 KB

I blocked the heat exchanger hole in the engine tin using a 4" rubber cap from the hardware store.
Old 02-02-2016, 01:55 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Yup, two vent tubes come off of the block off plate, one to the distributor and one to the taillights.

I blocked the heat exchanger hole in the engine tin using a 4" rubber cap from the hardware store.
I would think where it is located it would be pressurizing the tubes instead of drawing a vacuum. I am assuming you tested this?
Old 02-02-2016, 01:59 PM
HalV
Rennlist Member

Looks great! Not something I'll do since I need my heat here in MN, but I'm surprise this isn't a more common mod.
Old 02-02-2016, 02:12 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Rennline sells a kit for $70-80 I think. EDIT: $90
http://www.rennline.com/Rennline-RSR...ctinfo/M05.07/

I made a cardboard pattern using the old blower and had my dad cut it out of a piece of aluminun, then the hardware store for the engine tin plug.

I did not test whether it is suctioning or pressurizing the vents. I didn't invent this setup, just copied it, so I wouldn't expect it to be problematic from a venting perspective. Would it make a difference which way it was moving air? Neither the distributor nor tails are air tight. The point is air circulation, right?

Last edited by Vandit; 02-02-2016 at 02:37 PM.
Old 02-02-2016, 02:30 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Rennline sells a kit for $70-80 I think.

I made a cardboard pattern using the old blower and had my dad cut it out of a piece of aluminun, then the hardware store for the engine tin plug.
Did you block off the heat duct as well? I think rennline has a reason why their part is perforated.

I could be mistaken but I was told it needed to be a vacuum. IIRC something about removing Ozone but it has been years since i discussed this. Possibly drilling some holes in yours might help. I wouldn't want high pressure air being pumped into a confined space myself. Also how does it remove moisture from the tail lights? You want to draw the moisture out not push it around. It probably doesn't matter but you never know why Porsche does what they do. It seems that some things make sense more than others.

As far as the lights I found new lights are relatively well sealed. They are not the best and have a list of issues as we all know that happen depending on how they are treated.
Old 02-02-2016, 02:34 PM
FormulaRX
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
Does anyone sell clear anymore? I have not seen them for sale since last fall anywhere.
5150motorsport does

http://www.5150motorsport.com/964-cl...set-euro-look/
Old 02-02-2016, 03:50 PM
HalV
Rennlist Member

Rennline sells a kit for $70-80 I think. EDIT: $90
http://www.rennline.com/Rennline-RSR...ctinfo/M05.07/

I did not test whether it is suctioning or pressurizing the vents. I didn't invent this setup, just copied it, so I wouldn't expect it to be problematic from a venting perspective. Would it make a difference which way it was moving air? Neither the distributor nor tails are air tight. The point is air circulation, right?
That's my take on it, too. When looking at the OEM solution, I'm not sure how that is producing a vacuum? I think the distributor has a gap that allows air to "vent" out. I read some old threads where (I think) Steve W. had two hoses connected to the distributor to create more airflow. One was coming from the blower tube to the distributor and the other went from the distributor to the tail light or atmosphere.
Old 02-02-2016, 04:44 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,789 Likes on 1,089 Posts

Originally Posted by HalV
That's my take on it, too. When looking at the OEM solution, I'm not sure how that is producing a vacuum? I think the distributor has a gap that allows air to "vent" out. I read some old threads where (I think) Steve W. had two hoses connected to the distributor to create more airflow. One was coming from the blower tube to the distributor and the other went from the distributor to the tail light or atmosphere.
the air moving through the tube by the hole creates a vacuum on the pipe connected to the distributor

if you take a sheet of paper and hold it next to your lower lip. blow, the paper will lift. same idea, vacuum is created.

that's my non-engineer understanding of how it works :-)
Old 02-02-2016, 05:18 PM
HalV
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spyerx
the air moving through the tube by the hole creates a vacuum on the pipe connected to the distributor

if you take a sheet of paper and hold it next to your lower lip. blow, the paper will lift. same idea, vacuum is created.

that's my non-engineer understanding of how it works :-)
Thanks for the possible explanation. I think you're describing some sort of Bernoulli/Venturi effect. Unfortunately my car is in storage for the winter so I can't confirm this theory.
Old 02-02-2016, 08:48 PM
Mr.Alex
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm doing something similar to Vandit, except I bought a different fan shroud and just drilled a hole for the vent tube, so far no issues and it tidies up the engine bay a bit. Rennline has both the perforated and non-perforated option. At the moment I don't see a large point in doing all the perforations and dumping air into the engine bay, rather have it go over the cylinders.
Old 02-02-2016, 09:41 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 546 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
I would think where it is located it would be pressurizing the tubes instead of drawing a vacuum. I am assuming you tested this?
That is correct

In addition to pushing air to the distributor vent these are also used on RSR to force cooling ai to the inner halfshaft joint

Old 02-02-2016, 09:44 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,789 Likes on 1,089 Posts

And I have center console lights! 3 of the 4 were burned out. Pic makes them look brighter than they are. Brighter than the bulbs but not too bright I used a 390ohm on the 3 led and a 620ohm on the single. Let's see if they last if not swap in a larger resistor. Should be ok tho.

Quick Reply: My 964 C2 Transformation Build Thread