Sponsored by:

964 C4 light refurb

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2019, 10:03 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 567 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
^^^^^GOOD CALL BY YOUR WIFE!!! You won’t regret that decision, it is the PERFECT stablemate for the 964. Good luck finding one, I understand they’re even more rare in RHD.
I don't think she really knows what to expect. I'm hoping it has even better handling than the R I had. It will be a sunny day car. I think there are more than 200 RHD out there, but not in New Zealand. It may take a while to find.
Old 04-08-2019, 10:23 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
I don't think she really knows what to expect. I'm hoping it has even better handling than the R I had. It will be a sunny day car. I think there are more than 200 RHD out there, but not in New Zealand. It may take a while to find.
It is the perfect sunny day car. As far as handling, the Spyder is actually lighter than the R and the chassis is plenty stiff to allow the suspension to work properly so yes I think it may be better. Since I haven’t driven the R I can’t say for certain, this is only based on what I see on paper.

Finding the right one will depend on the options you want on the car. Personally I would go full lightweight configuration if you’re ok with the carbon seats although I would add the AC for hotter days, it definitely helps. Shoot me a PM if you have any questions, I don’t want to take this thread too far off topic.
Old 04-10-2019, 03:39 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

^^^^^GOOD CALL BY YOUR WIFE!!! You won’t regret that decision, it is the PERFECT stablemate for the 964. Good luck finding one, I understand they’re even more rare in RHD.
Trigger pulled in the UK. Now a 2 month wait while the car is shipped to New Zealand. Exactly the spec I would have ordered if new (don't need a debate on PDK - I want my wife to drive this car).
Attached Images    
Old 04-11-2019, 08:20 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

That was fast, Congrats! I have to imagine that bringing cars in from the UK is fairly routine for New Zealand, is the two months due to the shipping time?

That is a perfect no fluff spec, and it appears to be in excellent condition. Was the sport wheel with paddle shift in the original build or added later?

Make sure you post in the 987 forum.
Old 04-11-2019, 08:34 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

That was fast, Congrats! I have to imagine that bringing cars in from the UK is fairly routine for New Zealand, is the two months due to the shipping time?

That is a perfect no fluff spec, and it appears to be in excellent condition. Was the sport wheel with paddle shift in the original build or added later?

Make sure you post in the 987 forum.
It all moved very quickly. My agent looked at this and another car. The higher mileage car turned out to be the one in better condition, by quite a margin.

The shipping time is mostly time on the water. It’s quite common to have cars going both ways between the UK and NZ. My R was ex UK and my Turbo 3.6 went there.

The R had buckets added after the build so I’m getting the build sheet checked on this, although it’s semantics as I’m not pulling the buckets out to make it ‘original’, same with the wheel. My R had the paddle less wheel.

I will post in the 987 forum when I have the car in my garage. I found some R owners insufferable on a UK forum with trolling on spec choice so hope the Spyder owners are better on Rennlist. This thread can return to my other love, 964s.
Old 04-11-2019, 11:37 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
It all moved very quickly. My agent looked at this and another car. The higher mileage car turned out to be the one in better condition, by quite a margin.

The shipping time is mostly time on the water. It’s quite common to have cars going both ways between the UK and NZ. My R was ex UK and my Turbo 3.6 went there.

The R had buckets added after the build so I’m getting the build sheet checked on this, although it’s semantics as I’m not pulling the buckets out to make it ‘original’, same with the wheel. My R had the paddle less wheel.

I will post in the 987 forum when I have the car in my garage. I found some R owners insufferable on a UK forum with trolling on spec choice so hope the Spyder owners are better on Rennlist. This thread can return to my other love, 964s.
Kinda cool to have cars flowing between the countries, that certainly opens up opportunities for some unique cars.

The sport wheels seem to be rarely ordered with the car and most were added later, but yes I wouldn’t change it either. Paddles are a nice bonus.

Initially there was lots of intolerance to cars having PDK and Sofa seats but with time most owners have mellowed out. They’re amazing regardless of the spec and we all have our preferences. Good luck with the shipping/importing.

Looking forward to your impressions once you’ve had some time behind the wheel.

And now back to the 964 discussions.
Old 06-01-2019, 08:08 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

The Spyder is still on route, passing through pirate territory so frustrating my tracking as the data is 30 hours old. Time to make better use of my energy and fix my 964 sunroof

Last edited by John McM; 06-01-2019 at 08:45 AM.
Old 06-01-2019, 08:16 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

The problem with the sunroof is that it won't retract. The first step is to unclip the sunroof headliner at the front end and slide it back to reveal the underneath of the sunroof
Attached Images    
Old 06-01-2019, 08:22 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

I marked the position of the 8 bolts holding the sunroof on. Then removed them (7mm and 8mm). Then I simply lifted the sunroof off the car.
Attached Images     
Old 06-01-2019, 08:34 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

The issue seems to be that something is broken or missing on the right hand side (no Black clip) so the cable is unable to move the bracket. More disassembly tomorrow
Attached Images    
Old 06-01-2019, 08:40 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Another sign my car sunroof is original. 9657 is the same build number stamped into other panels. 908 is the colour code for Gran Prix Weiss
Attached Images  
Old 06-02-2019, 03:49 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Problem found. The right cable has broken away from the crimped tube on the carrier.
Attached Images  
Old 06-02-2019, 03:54 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

I drilled out the tube and took a dremel to the cable to remove the spiral that was stopping it going in the tube. I then used a combination of JB Weld and crimping to attach the cable to the carrier. I have to wait until the JB Weld has cured before fitting it.
Attached Images          
Old 06-02-2019, 06:32 AM
Dingo
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 87 Posts

Great work john, you really know your way around these cars. When you say not retracting do you mean not closing? Mine works fine but wont close without manually pushing the black thing in picture down.
Old 06-02-2019, 08:31 AM
Spokes
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 140 Posts

Check those plastic slide hinges on both sides, one looks broken. Easy fix.

Quick Reply: 964 C4 light refurb