Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

964 C4 light refurb

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 01:46 AM
Ralph3.
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 72 Posts

At what speed will the spoiler activate?
Old 03-21-2019, 02:19 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 564 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by Ralph3.
At what speed will the spoiler activate?
Standard appears to be 80~83 Hz which equates to 45mph or 75km/hr. You may not notice it activating at that speed as it has to move enough to be visible while driving.
Old 03-21-2019, 02:50 AM
Ralph3.
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 72 Posts

Did you change your module to activate at a higher speed? Around 70 mph?
Old 03-21-2019, 04:25 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ralph3.
Did you change your module to activate at a higher speed? Around 70 mph?
You remove the controller from the car, open it up and locate the 39k ohm resistor (orange white orange). You swap that resistor for a 27k ohm one (red violet orange). That's all it requires.
Attached Images   
Old 03-22-2019, 08:52 PM
964tit
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks. I’m using the correct spec synthetic as well. It’s still a bit resistant when cold, but after 2 min it seems fine. I use penrite for the engine oil and their products are easy to get here, so it would be convenient if their trans oil is good.

Originally Posted by John McM

Hi Tiaan, I’m reluctant to say a lot better given the positive bias of changes made but it is noticeably better. This didn’t make sense to me so I did more research. The Swepco 201 is a mineral oil and seems to be a ‘go to’ oil for the 915 box, but I found a few comments about it giving baulky shifts when cold and a synthetic being better for the G50 box. My shift definitely improved with heat in the box, but it really detracted from the driving experience. The synchros seem to work better with the Penrite and it’s the correct spec as per Porsche recommendations.

A rider for the above, I’m not an oil expert, just a product user. There are comments out there about synthetic oils wearing synchros faster than Dino oils and even that the shift quality shouldn’t be a measure of an oils suitability. All I know is that shift quality is a key input in enjoying driving my car and I’m Happy
Old 03-29-2019, 06:50 AM
PASHN8
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a fellow 964 C2 manual owner going through a bare metal repaint and refresh from across the pond in Melbourne, I just found and read through this thread over the course of the afternoon, and mind blown.
I like to DIY as much as I can, but you have really raised the bar. The amount of knowledge and reference in this thread is amazing, and the inspiration to do more at home even more. Thanks John!
Old 03-29-2019, 02:25 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PASHN8
As a fellow 964 C2 manual owner going through a bare metal repaint and refresh from across the pond in Melbourne, I just found and read through this thread over the course of the afternoon, and mind blown.
I like to DIY as much as I can, but you have really raised the bar. The amount of knowledge and reference in this thread is amazing, and the inspiration to do more at home even more. Thanks John!
Thanks for the compliment. This thread is pretty much the only documentation I have kept of what I did, when I did it and how I did it. I refer back to it often. I have a few projects left to do, but not many. It’s been an incredible journey, as I appeared to have hit a purple patch in life where I had the time, financial resources and access to info to do things I never thought I was capable of. If I can do it anyone can.

BTW I hope you will post pics of your refresh.
Old 03-29-2019, 04:40 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

John while I agree that some level of DIY is certainly possible I can say that I don’t possess the skills or patience to do what you and many others here on Rennlist have done to your cars to refurb them.

Having access to these threads is incredibly helpful to learn from, thanks for doing it.
Old 03-30-2019, 03:13 AM
PASHN8
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Thanks for the compliment. This thread is pretty much the only documentation I have kept of what I did, when I did it and how I did it. I refer back to it often. I have a few projects left to do, but not many. It’s been an incredible journey, as I appeared to have hit a purple patch in life where I had the time, financial resources and access to info to do things I never thought I was capable of. If I can do it anyone can.

BTW I hope you will post pics of your refresh.
A great documentation for all who will walk the path in years to come.

Yes, I will have to start a thread of my own, albeit, not as interesting as yours thats for sure!
Can I ask, i'm in the process of choosing a rubber kit for my car to re-assemble it after paint and have seen a few options from Design911 and Sierra Madre etc with all the pieces you need. My concern is making sure I choose the best quality kit vs price for fitment. Any tips from yourself or anyone else as to who makes a great kit?
Old 03-30-2019, 06:15 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
John while I agree that some level of DIY is certainly possible I can say that I don’t possess the skills or patience to do what you and many others here on Rennlist have done to your cars to refurb them.

Having access to these threads is incredibly helpful to learn from, thanks for doing it.
DIY is quite addictive if you build up confidence and get positive reinforcement. I haven’t found my limits yet, but I’m sure when I do it will be expensive!
Old 03-30-2019, 06:22 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PASHN8
A great documentation for all who will walk the path in years to come.

Yes, I will have to start a thread of my own, albeit, not as interesting as yours thats for sure!
Can I ask, i'm in the process of choosing a rubber kit for my car to re-assemble it after paint and have seen a few options from Design911 and Sierra Madre etc with all the pieces you need. My concern is making sure I choose the best quality kit vs price for fitment. Any tips from yourself or anyone else as to who makes a great kit?
A glass out respray will show up any old rubber so I think the full kit as provided by Design911 is well worth it, particularly as they are a RHD market so you won’t have problems with things like mirror trim. What are you doing to the interior? A recarpet is relatively easy.
Old 04-08-2019, 08:07 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

I took the car for a Sunday drive to watch a track day and noted that the gear shift has improved immeasurably with each drive. I have no rationale for that except that maybe the new oil is displacing whatever remained of the Swepco.
Attached Images  
Old 04-08-2019, 08:41 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Finishing off a few projects. When I had my Silver 964, I bought a spare handbrake and a Classic 9 recover kit. Ultimately, I sold the car before I had a chance to recover the handbrake, but now I'm tidying up my project.

The OE leather is in two sections whereas the Classic 9 part is joined with a sewn seam. I decided to do mine like the OE part so I had to seperate the two parts.

That left me with a dilemma as the leather edges were too thick to go over the rubber edges nicely. I ended up skiving them with a small dremel.

With a bit of careful cutting I was able to get the parts to a point where the leather would bend over the edge and allow a smooth seam. Sorted with some contact cement. The leather surface was not the same as the OE one, but the fit was good.
Attached Images          
Old 04-08-2019, 09:16 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

And the last update. I have spousal permission to add to the garage. The hunt is on.
Attached Images  
Old 04-08-2019, 09:51 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

^^^^^GOOD CALL BY YOUR WIFE!!! You won’t regret that decision, it is the PERFECT stablemate for the 964. Good luck finding one, I understand they’re even more rare in RHD.

Quick Reply: 964 C4 light refurb