Sponsored by:

964 C4 light refurb

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 04:23 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 567 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by Deserion
That it would be it, yes. The part may have been superseded to #993-512-533-00 (I believe that is what I ended up with from the dealer), and had to trim it a touch. For some reason that had disappeared on mine (like a lot of other parts...) and I wanted to be thorough for the curtain replacement.
Mmm, it doesn't look like the part in the catalogue. Did you take a pic when fitted? I have another car coming tonight and I'm going to take pics of all the parts.
Old 07-09-2018, 05:46 PM
Deserion
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Mmm, it doesn't look like the part in the catalogue. Did you take a pic when fitted? I have another car coming tonight and I'm going to take pics of all the parts.
The scale in the PET is a bit exaggerated. It slots into the bottom of the spoiler wall, then attaches to the inset grate to keep any air from slipping underneath.

Old 07-15-2018, 03:28 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

I have my odometer into be fixed yet again. Last time it was the gear cog. This time I think it's dry solder joints in the gauge. One downside is that the speedometer supplies the signal for the spoiler so all I can do right now is raise and lower it manually. I've fitted my old white spoiler while I work out what to do with the red one. Has anyone made an alternate curtain?
Old 07-15-2018, 03:29 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

4KV carpet kit finally arrived. It was worth the wait.
Old 07-15-2018, 04:21 AM
Spokes
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 140 Posts

Great job & patience
Old 07-15-2018, 05:03 AM
Dingo
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 87 Posts

Carpet looks great!
Old 07-18-2018, 03:48 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

It has taken a while, but the starter motor gifted to me has been refurbed. Everything was in stellar condition except the solenoid. Unfortunately, the cost of that part and a couple of hours labour mean it ended up more expensive than an Amazon after market alternative. I’m happy to have the original though, it’s built as tough as the car. Note the video of the shaft movement. This illustrates that the bush the shaft fits into in the transmission housing is critical to correct operation. If it is worn then the shaft moves in the housing and eventually damages the armature wiring

Note the solenoid number if you want to have a go at this yourself.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:04 AM
Super90
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Nice work again !

On the starter, I was sitting the fence, but in the interest of time, I put my original on the shelf for refurb and bought the brand new Bosch replacement. It's part number SR0451N. A little smaller, a bit lighter and it spins faster, if that's what you like. I paid $275 for it, while a full rebuild of my original by a known quantity was going to be more than that.... It's all a trade off.
Old 07-18-2018, 05:52 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Super90
Nice work again !

On the starter, I was sitting the fence, but in the interest of time, I put my original on the shelf for refurb and bought the brand new Bosch replacement. It's part number SR0451N. A little smaller, a bit lighter and it spins faster, if that's what you like. I paid $275 for it, while a full rebuild of my original by a known quantity was going to be more than that.... It's all a trade off.
This was USD 220 to refurb and that didn’t require brushes or slip ring work. Unless you can do the work yourself, I’d buy new, as you have.
Old 07-27-2018, 01:46 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Every six months, my C4 has to pass a roadworthiness test. To my surprise, I failed due to illegal wheel spacers, inoperative horn and leaking rear shock.

The spacers were easy, off for the inspection and back on after it (I like extra clearance on the oil line side).

The horn was due to poor contact on the slip ring, so I just readjusted the spring.

The leaking shock was more of a surprise as I’d had it refurbed less than 2 years ago. The shop that did it, replaced the seal and the top cap. In hindsight the pain of failing the inspection was worth it to get the shock fixed under warranty.
Old 07-27-2018, 01:35 PM
ffc
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Mine failed it's annual test recently, three easy items (wipers, wiper relay and headlamp level) and one involving more effort, a bulging flexible brake line. The brake line work involved replacing all of the hard lines at the front end. I will do the others later without the pressure of a test to pass.
Old 07-27-2018, 03:34 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ffc
Mine failed it's annual test recently, three easy items (wipers, wiper relay and headlamp level) and one involving more effort, a bulging flexible brake line. The brake line work involved replacing all of the hard lines at the front end. I will do the others later without the pressure of a test to pass.
Another 964 owner mentioned he’d had bulging brake lines as well, so it’s on my list to check. That said, I’m confused as to why you needed to replace hard lines as well. What’s the issue with them?
Old 07-27-2018, 03:44 PM
ffc
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM

Another 964 owner mentioned he’d had bulging brake lines as well, so it’s on my list to check. That said, I’m confused as to why you needed to replace hard lines as well. What’s the issue with them?
Incomptence and age of the lines. When I tried to remove the caliper side hardline from the flexible line on the car the hard line twisted a little. (I was using a flare spanner before you ask). I then tried removing the hard line from the caliper in order to get the hard/soft line combo onto a bench to separate them. the hard line twisted at the caliper end as well, the lines were quite soft. So I decided to replace all four of them.

As you can see there was some corrosion on the pipe fittings.

Here is a terrible picture of the bulge that caused the MOT failure. I really must clean the underneath of the car.

Old 07-27-2018, 06:13 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ffc
Incomptence and age of the lines. When I tried to remove the caliper side hardline from the flexible line on the car the hard line twisted a little. (I was using a flare spanner before you ask). I then tried removing the hard line from the caliper in order to get the hard/soft line combo onto a bench to separate them. the hard line twisted at the caliper end as well, the lines were quite soft. So I decided to replace all four of them.

As you can see there was some corrosion on the pipe fittings.

Here is a terrible picture of the bulge that caused the MOT failure. I really must clean the underneath of the car.

thanks for the pics. Sounds like it’s wise to order those hard lines with the hoses and make life simple.
Old 08-13-2018, 06:50 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

I’m writing this post in growing anticipation of our major yearly road trip, which starts on Saturday.

We take a tight group of seven P car owners down the roads less travelled over two weekends. The total distance is only 1,600 km or 1,000 miles, but we’re talking the kind of roads that exist in few other places, quiet, winding, picturesque.

At the end of the first weekend we store our cars and fly home. The following weekend we fly back down, pick up the cars and start driving home the long way. Go cars not show cars. This is why I do what I do. There is no substitute for a C4 on a winding damp road in the middle of nowhere with that flat six singing in the rear.

The past trips have evoked so many memories I commissioned a painting of Mount Taranaki and it’s enticing back roads.

Quick Reply: 964 C4 light refurb